On Dublin Street by Samantha Young

"Sometimes words aren't needed for you to know a change has come upon you." 


The blurb

Jocelyn Butler has been hiding from her past for years. But all her secrets are about to be laid bare . . .

Four years ago, Jocelyn left her tragic past behind in the States and started over in Scotland, burying her grief, ignoring her demons, and forging ahead without attachments. Her solitary life is working well - until she moves into a new apartment on Dublin Street, where she meets a man who shakes her carefully guarded world to its core. 

Braden Carmichael is used to getting what he wants, and he's determined to get Jocelyn into his bed. Knowing how skittish she is about entering a relationship, Braden proposes an arrangement that will satisfy their intense attraction without any strings attached. 

But after an intrigued Jocelyn accepts, she realises that Braden  won't be satisfied with just mind-blowing passion. The stubborn Scotsman is intent on truly knowing her . . . down to the very soul. 

Becca's thoughts

Oh my freaking good god. I had no idea how much I was missing out on. So many people have been speaking about this book for so long, I should have took a hint sooner. Thanks to my very good book-blogger friend Erin, after much persuading, I finally decided to purchase the book that everybody is going wild about, and DAYUUUUM, I am so so soooo glad that I did. 

I purchased On Dublin Street from Amazon UK and enjoyed it in eBook format on my beloved Kindle (which is dying slowly, boohoo) On Dublin Street is the first book that I have read by the very talented Samantha Young, but I can assure you, I will be investing in every single thing she has ever created because she is one hell of an author, and yes, I found that out by reading just one book. Cray'. 

One thing that I have discovered since owning a Kindle is that you don't get to see the cover for yourself. It's sad. Very sad. Because I LOVE looking at book covers. Luckily, the internet allows me to have a look and although it's not the same, it's better than nothing. To me, the cover depicts everything about this novel. The woman on the cover is the perfect imitation of the main character, Jocelyn. The way the woman is posing makes me think of how Jocelyn is quite secretive about her life, and doesn't like to trust in people too openly. Also, she's alone, and a lot of the time in the story, Jocelyn tends to feel alone. The cover is perfect, and couldn't be any more spot on. 

Now for the title. It's pretty simple, nothing ambiguous about it. On Dublin Street is where it all begins, and why not name the novel the place where the story unravels? It's straight to the point, no messing around and sets the scene before you've even started. I'm not a very geographical person, so obviously I googled it and had a look around on Google maps. Seeing a real place that's in a story makes me feel all mushy inside. 

The characters are probably now my favorite bunch of fictional characters in the world. Although there are lots of characters included, I'm going to focus on my four main ones which are Joss (Jocelyn), Ellie, Braden and Adam. Let's talk about Joss first. 

Joss has had a disturbing past, one that could fuck up anyone's outlook on life. She lost her mother, father and younger sister Elizabeth in a car accident, and now, she is too scared, petrified even, to let anybody into her life, for fear of losing them again. I loved Joss. I guess the way she dealt with it all seemed the easiest way, but it really puts a strain on creating new friendships and relationships in the present. After the accident, Joss spent her childhood going to foster families and living in care homes, which is a tragic thing for any child/teenager to have to go through. What I also loved about Joss was the fact that she wasn't this iddy biddy thin, model-like woman. She's curvy, she has D sized boobs and she has an attitude to go with it all. After her parents died, Joss was left with a hefty inheritance. When we first meet her she's about to go to Dublin Street in a cab to view an apartment. Instead of spending the money on crap, she's spending it on something worthwhile. As she is about to grab a cab, she lays eyes on Braden for the first time, and this my friends, is where everything begins...

Braden. Braden. Braden. What to say about Braden. Even his name is drenched with sexiness. Braden freakin' Carmichael. When Joss first bumps into him, she refers to him as 'The Suit', because that's what he's dressed in. A sexy, sexy suit. Okay. I'll stop now. Braden Carmichael is a hunk. A controlling, possessive, used-to-getting-what-he-wants hunk. He's cheeky, he smirks a lot, he's demanding and he likes to order his bedroom mate around. Hell yes. Braden wants Joss. Joss wants Braden. The chemistry between these two characters is off the damn hook. Any eye contact they make, if they touch accidentally, EVERY SINGLE type of contact ends with Braden giving her "the look". We all know what that look is. It's the "get to the fucking bedroom now" look. The build-up between these too is mental. I just wanted them to have sex and get it over with because if they didn't I was afraid my Kindle was going to explode. With Joss being so afraid to let anyone in, it kinda gets in the way, but trust me, when it all falls together it is so, so worth it. Braden is my new favorite book boyfriend. After Mr Grey of course. But he's definitely right up there on the list. As much as I could go on about his DAMN SEXINESS, I need to show you his other side. The "boy" side. He's all man most of the time, but every now and then, you get a glimpse of his mushy side. He likes to spoon, he cares about his family deeply and he's extremely protective over his loved ones. He's actually everything a woman could want, confident, cheeky, sexy, intimidating but in a hot way... Honestly the list could go on. Seriously ladies, if you haven't already, then I suggest you meet Braden. You have no idea what you're missing out on. 

Ellie is Joss' new housemate. She also turns out to be Braden's younger sister. Ellie is the most adorable female in the world. She loves Joss completely, and they become friends quite quickly, to Joss' astonishment. Ellie has been crushing on Braden's friend Adam for a long time. She has to sit through his countless dates whilst biting her tongue. Let me rephrase that. She LOVES Adam. When tragedy strikes later on in the story, we soon find out how much. I think when Ellie and Joss first meet each other, Joss isn't quite sure of her. She doesn't want to let anyone in for fear of losing them, so why should she left Ellie in? Their bond becomes stronger though, and soon it's like they have always known each other. 

To be completely honest with you readers, the only thing I can think of to say, is READ this book. It's emotional, it's sexy, it's exciting, it's everything that a book should be. 

I'm rating On Dublin Street 10/10. 
EXTRAORDINARY STORY WITH BEAUTIFUL CHARACTERS. 








Post a Comment