The Ghost Hunters by Neil Spring

"Of all ghosts, the ghosts of our old loves are the worst."
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle


The blurb

1926. London. 

My name is Sarah Grey.

I knew of Harry Price before
I became his trusted assistant.
He was notorious - London's
greatest ghost hunter.

Working alongside Harry meant 
devoting myself to his work, leaving
behind my past - and I trusted him. 

I knew of Borley Rectory, too, before
I visited it with Harry - supposedly the 
most haunted house in England. 

I knew there was no such thing as 
phantoms; the many witnesses must
be mad, or lying. 

I knew I could visit Borley Rectory 
without fear, return without harm. 

These are the things I thought I knew. 

I now understand the true meaning of terror. 

Becca's thoughts

I read The Ghost Hunters in paperback, and my copy was purchased from Asda. 
513 pages devoured in just a couple of days. 

This kinda steps away from my whole romantic, chick-lit genre, but I just HAD to post a review on my blog, because this story was sensational. I don't think I have ever been more intrigued or creeped out than I was when I was reading The Ghost Hunters. What's even better is the story is written about an actual house. I became that intrigued with it all that I just had to get myself onto Google and research EVERYTHING about the people, the stories and all the other little bits that came along with it. The Ghost Hunters really gets inside of your mind, and makes you think twice about going downstairs with the lights off. It makes you begin to wonder what's really lurking within the dark. 

The cover of The Ghost Hunters is superb. It's creepy looking, it's chilling and it looks like what a book about the paranormal should look like. What I love most is the little house which resembles Borley Rectory. Everything fits perfectly, even the font looks the part! It looks very dated and old-fashioned, really taking you back in time to when the whole story began with Sarah Grey and Harry Price. 

Written in first person, everything we read is from Sarah Grey's point of view, except at the very beginning and the very end. I don't want to say too much about this as it will give a huge part of the story away so I'll leave it at that! 

We first meet Sarah Grey when herself and her mother are on their way out to attend a seance, which Sarah is rather reluctant to go to, but with her mother's insistence, she decides to hold her tongue. From the second Sarah Grey was introduced to me, I liked her. She's smart, witty and refuses to let anybody push her around. She makes her own decisions and stands by them, no matter what or who gets in the way. Her dedication to her mother is absolutely beautiful, and so lovely to watch. After Sarah loses her father, and her mother loses her husband, both women look to each other for support and love. I think the loss of Sarah's father still effects her deeply, as is said on page 13.

"My father had meant the world to me. He was a terrifically busy man, of the most highly respected barristers in west London. Work, for him, had been a matter of survival."

Sarah's father actually got killed during the war, and you find out at a later stage in the book how and why he died. 

Sarah's mother is a hopeless dreamer. That's the impression I got any way. Since the day she was told at her front door of her husband's passing, she has gone to seance after seance, trying to make contact with the man she loved and still loves. Much to Sarah's aggravation and frustration, her mother continues to pray upon a medium bringing forth the spirit of her husband so they can talk once more. Not having chance to say goodbye is one of the worst feelings in the world, and I can totally relate to how she feels. I think Sarah wonders why her mother hasn't gotten over the death of her father yet, but as you find out later on, there's a much bigger story behind it all. Behind why her mother is so eager to speak to her father, behind why Sarah hears her mother late at night, rooting around in the wardrobe and restlessly walking about. I liked Sarah's mother, as much as she is a hopeless dreamer, it's also so sad to read about her constant desperation to talk to the dead.

Harry Price is an absolutely amazing character in The Ghost Hunters. I loved him. From the minute he first waltzed onto the page, I found everything he said entertaining. Mr Price works in a laboratory in London, which he uses to shine a light on fake mediums and people pretending to be able to speak to the dead. He pulls up countless fakers, and shows them to the public, and Sarah Grey is intrigued by this. When her and her mother attend Mr Price's seance at the beginning of the book, she is quite literally mystified by his ways and finds herself wanting to know more about the man that is on everybody's tongues. He's immense, he's passionate about his work, and he always seems distracted, even when he's doing absolutely nothing, which is very rarely mind you. He's got tons of crazy ideas, and he is obsessed with anything to do with the paranormal. Harry Price was actually a real guy, which makes the story even more interesting than it already is! I loved his character in this story. He seems totally deranged, yet Sarah Grey loves to be beside him, working with him on yet another surreal project. 

Everything about this story is enchanting. Not in a fairy-tale kinda way, but a ghostly kinda way, if you know what I mean. I really, really enjoyed The Ghost Hunters. I, like many others out there, find the paranormal mysterious and I've always enjoyed reading stories, seeing pictures of haunted houses and "apparitions". What's included in the book is exceptionally mystifying; maps of the actual Borley Rectory, illustrations of the house and newspaper clippings. It's terrifying yet entertaining and I just couldn't put this one down. There's something about this book... I can't put my finger on it, but there's definitely something different about it. And personally, I LOVE different. There's nothing better than it. 

I'm giving Neil Spring's The Ghost Hunters a fantastic rating of 8/10. 
It has everything a paranormal lover could want, everything that keeps you hooked and the pages turning. 
Brilliant story! 
I've already told most of my family about it, and they all want to read it now too ;)
My work here is done ladies and gentleman! Buying links will be included below.

Until my next review...

Buying links








Post a Comment