Beautiful Addictions by Season Vining

"His face was perfection as far as she was concerned - hair that she loved to run her fingers through, eyes that always saw through her bullshit, and lips that spoke words of adoration."


Title - Beautiful Addictions
Author - Season Vining
Publication Date - January 28th 2014 (Kindle Edition) June 10th 2014 (Paperback)
Publisher - St. Martin's Griffin 
Format - Kindle Edition
Pages - 288

The blurb

Josie Banks is a girl without a past. After being found unconscious with no memory, she was shuffled in and out of foster homes and where she suffered years of abuse. An experience that left her broken, damaged, and clinging to drugs and meaningless hook-ups to numb her pain.

When Josie disappeared years ago, she took a piece of Tristan with her. She's the girl he thought he lost forever - the one he's never been able to forget. Now a twist of fate has brought them back together, and he never wants to let her out of his inked arms again. But Tristan is haunted by a dark past of his own. On the run from ruthless criminals that shattered Josie's world years ago, reentering her life puts them both in danger.

As Josie and Tristan's lives become tangled once again, they find themselves unwilling and unable to escape the relentless pull that draws them together. But will the past leave their love in ruins - or bind them together for a lifetime? 

Becca's thoughts

I received Beautiful Addictions via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

Firstly, let's just consider those sexy tattoos marking the guys arm on the gorgeous cover for Season Vining's Beautiful Addictions. Very, very sexy, don't you agree? I really like the cover for this book. It's simple yet screams a bold statement out at its readers - "I'm protecting my girl." I think I imagined the main character Josie a little differently in my head, but other than that, the cover gets top marks from me. I think it portrays Tristan perfectly, and how he feels towards Josie. It's just perfect. 

When I began reading, I really didn't know if this was going to be my type of book. Firstly, I don't usually go for books that include crime in them, it generally does nothing for me. Drugs and the like just don't excite me at all. Nor does having enemies, shooting guns and taking people hostage. But, that's usually. For Beautiful Addictions, I was able to put this disinterest to the side and I got completely dragged down into the story. It kept me interested, I was swiping my finger across my Kindle screen like nobody's business and I just couldn't get enough. 

The main character Josie intrigued me. For a little while, I didn't understand what was going on with her. I found her quite strange and a little unsettling. She is always on her own. She has no active social life, no family and she sleeps with countless guys to block out her demons. She spends most of her time using her artistic flair; sketching, tagging in the streets and defacing public property. Once the story began to reveal more of her past, I finally "got" her, and I just wanted to scoop her up into a big bear hug. She probably would have punched me in the face, but hey! Josie's background is a tragic one and I did swallow down a lump in my throat numerous times due to the things that she had been through. Whilst reading, I was constantly reminded of the fact that she was a very haunted person. When meeting guys, she'd want to get straight down to business and completely skip the talking part. Having no family and no friends, she is able to do whatever the hell she wants. She pops pills and eats very rarely. Basically, she is a recluse. There's no light in her life, no excitement, nothing to look forward to. The story felt miserable and depressing and it really affects you whilst reading. Season Vining really got the misery vibe down to a T. 

Tristan is another main character. He's the guy who knew Josie when she was a little girl and they had been best friends. He never thought he would see her again, but when he serves her one night at the bar that he works in, it finally dawns on him. The strange girl, with the sketchpad and the never-changing drink order of coke and rum is his long-lost best friend, and the first girl he ever loved. I loved Tristan - mainly because of his sexy tattoo, but because of how much he wants to protect Josie once he finds her. Tristan is also haunted by a few ghosts of his own. His father had big plans for him, but Tristan chose to go down a different path, and got tangled up with the wrong sort of people. Tristan is adorable and such a caring guy, hidden behind that tough, bad-boy exterior. 

I saw Josie and Tristan as the main characters in this story, but there are many, many others to consider too. There's Monica who is Josie's old social-worker. Even though Monica is no longer tied to Josie she still pops around to Josie's apartment to keep and eye on her, which I just found incredibly sweet. There's Alex, who considers himself as Josie's own personal body-guard. He's well-built and rather attractive. He takes food to Josie to ensure that she's eating properly and keeps an eye on her well-being. There's the bad guys too, which I got a little muddled up with. BUT, it's an amazingly written, well thought out story. What started off as something that could have been easily dismissed ended out being one hell of a ride, and I finished with a held breath. The characters were complex and intriguing, the plot was twisted and dramatic, and the emotion was overwhelmingly beautiful.

I'm giving Beautiful Addictions by Season Vining 8/10. 
Tristan and Josie's relationship was raw and real, I just couldn't get enough. 

  

  





Post a Comment