Song of the Fireflies by J. A. Redmerski

"Everyone deserves someone who loves and cares for them enough to see them through life's obstacles. Especially people like Bray."


Title - Song of the Fireflies
Author - J. A. Redmerski
Publication Date - February 4th 2014
Publisher - Forever (Grand Central Publishing)
Format - Kindle Edition
Pages - 432 

The blurb
(Amazon UK)

Brayelle Bates has always been a force of nature. Even as a child, Bray's wild and carefree spirit intimidated everyone around her, and the only person who has ever truly understood her is her best friend, Elias Kline. As they grew up together, their friendship turned into something more, but Bray was always desperate to hide the truth of her agonising past from Elias. She did everything she could to keep him at arm's length, including moving away. But unable to survive without him, she returned home to Elias, and things never felt more right - until one night changed everything. 

Elias vowed never to be separated for Bray again. So when she decides to flee in a desperate escape attempt to escape fate, Elias knows he must go with her. As the two try to make the most of their circumstances, Elias soon realises that there's a darkness driving Bray he can't ignore. Now, in order to save her, he'll have to convince Bray to accept the consequences of her past - even if it means losing her. 

Becca's thoughts

I received Song of the Fireflies via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. 

Wow. Just completely and utterly WOW. I cannot express the feelings and emotions that are running through me right now. I finished reading Song of the Fireflies about fifteen minutes ago and my mind is going crazy with my thoughts towards this story. It's one of those books that make you feel like you've been holding your breath all the way through. So I'm going to take a big gulp of air, breathe out and try to tell you how much I adored this book. 

As usual, let's just admire the cover for Song of the Fireflies. I love it, I actually love it. It's romantic and dark all at the same time which fits with the theme in the story perfectly.

Switching to the plot, alls I can say is - holy hell. I felt like I was holding onto my Kindle for dear life because of the drama and how fast paced this is. So much happens and I felt like I was losing my mind! It's SO exciting and it was hard for me to turn away from my Kindle for more than ten minutes. Straight up. The author had the whole "grabbing hold of the readers and dragging them in" thing down to a T. I was hooked. From beginning to end, crazy scenarios, dramatic conversations and even crazier ideas were flying at me from the pages and I just couldn't help but read and read and read. 

The characters in Song of the Fireflies were absolutely amazing. Brayelle Bates is a troubled girl with a dark past, endless hidden secrets and a fear of consequences. The only person that she actually trusts and can depend on is Elias, her childhood best friend and true love. I loved Bray. She had so much depth to her and she felt so real to me. The intensity of her feelings towards Elias become clear as the story develops, and damn, it hurt my heart to read certain parts.  It becomes clear that she is haunted by many, many things, and I fell in love with Elias as he tries to soothe and protect her with everything he's got. Elias knew he loved Bray from a very early age, and when Bray moves away from him, his heart breaks in two. But his love for Bray was amazingly strong and it's clear that no matter what the distance is between them, they always find each other again. It was just a big emotional lump in my throat and I had tears in my eyes at many parts. They go through so much together in this book, it's unreal.It's packed with so many bumps in the road and I never knew what was going to happen next. 

This is the kind of book that stays with you. The kind of book that you replay over and over in your mind. I don't think I'll ever forget how much this story affected me emotionally. 

I'm giving Song of the Fireflies a fantastic rating of 9/10. 
It's fast paced, action packed and full of tear-inducing moments that will have you pulling your own hair out. It's a journey alongside Bray and Elias that will stay with you for a very long time. I'd definitely re-read this one guys, and I'd recommend it to anyone who loves a hard-hitting romance full of twists and turns. There's also a hint of darkness hidden beneath the words that is extremely intense and soul-shaking. I absolutely LOVED it. 









Post a Comment