Farewell Trip by Karen Dixon & Gary Twynam

"We often discussed what should happen to us after our deaths, didn't we? It's never bothered me much - just tip me in a cardboard box and bury me under some trees, I won't be around to see it. 


Title - Farewell Trip 
Author - Karen Dixon & Gary Twynam 
Publication Date - December 17th 2013
Publisher - Carina (Harlequin UK) 
Format - Kindle Edition 
Pages - 208 

The blurb 

"That was the first time in my life I was happy... the happiest I ever would be. And I never told you."

There's always one moment in life that passes without you saying what you really wanted - needed - to. For Ruth that day came after the death of her beloved husband Trip. 

She and Trip had fitted together perfectly, right from the very start, and their marriage was filled with love, happiness and travel. Determined to leave nothing unspoken, Trip has left ten letters, taking Ruth on one last adventure - scattering his ashes in ten locations that have meaning for them both. 

The letters take her on a journey across the world, but also back through her marriage, and the life she thought they had shared. 

They had been so happy. Hadn't they? 

Becca's thoughts

Farewell Trip was a beautifully written, emotional story about letting go and moving forward. It had my heart tightly held in a balled up fist and it moved me in so many ways it's unreal.

Firstly, the title. Ambiguous and I LOVE it.

I adored how Farewell Trip was written. It jumped backwards and forwards but not in a way that had you confused or wondering where you were in the story. There are letters, a present and a past, and it definitely turned out to be a love story that had me captivated. It also reminded me of P.S I Love You, which is probably one of the most romantic films that I have ever watched, so Farewell Trip was a sure fire winner for me.

Besides the story itself being emotional and nostalgic, there are twists and turns too, some that had me sitting there with my mouth hanging open because I just did NOT see them coming. At first I thought, "Well, I kinda' know how this is going to turn out. It's going to be heartbreaking, it's going to be sad, and then it's going to end." But no. There was lots of sadness going on in here, but within the letters that are left for the main character, Ruth, secrets and lies are also revealed and uncovered, making it not just emotional but shocking too. There's drama, anger, tears, hurt and regret - and a whole lot of travelling included in here too. In Trip's letters, he leaves a list of places where he would like his ashes to be scattered, so Ruth goes on the journey of letting go of her beloved husband. I have to say, there's just something about letters that really tugs at my heart, and with some of the things that Trip writes to Ruth, I was blubbering beneath my duvet. It was so beautiful, so emotionally charged and damn hard to carry on at some points.

I have rated Farewell Trip by Karen Dixon and Gary Twynam with 5/5 stars on Goodreads, and 10/10 on Becca's Books. It is a beautifully written love story which will stay with me for a very long time. I loved every aspect about it, from the characters to the places that Ruth travels too, and it was such a fantastic adventure, I'd definitely go on again someday.

* * *

Add Farewell Trip by Karen Dixon & Gary Twynam on Goodreads
Farewell Trip by Karen Dixon & Gary Twynam on Amazon UK
Farewell Trip by Karen Dixon & Gary Twynam on Amazon US
   

Post a Comment