Let's Call the Whole Thing Off by Jill Steeples

Reason number ninety-something or other for not reading your best friend's diary - although to be honest I was way past caring now - would have to be: You might just find out something you really didn't want to know. 


Title - Let's Call the Whole Thing Off 
Author - Jill Steeples 
Publication Date - January 7th 2014
Publisher - Carina 
Format - Kindle Edition
Pages - 256

The blurb

Reasons why you should never, ever, read your best friend's diary (even if it has fallen to the floor, pages open oh-so-temptingly...) 
1.) It's morally indefensible. 
2.) She would never trust you again. 
3.) You probably know it all anyway...
So what harm could the tiniest peek do...? Answer: Lots!

The best reason for never reading your best friend's diary: You might just find out something you really didn't want to know!

Learning her fiance, Ed - the guy she's supposed to marry this weekend! - is having an affair with her best friend, is a devastating bombshell for bride-to-be Anna. Confused, hurt and absolutely livid, she hops on the first train to anywhere-but-here in need of some serious soul-searching. Can she ever forgive Ed? Who is Anna 'sans Ed'? And more importantly, should she go through with the wedding or should she just call the whole thing off? 

Becca's thoughts

I absolutely LOVED Let's Call the Whole Thing Off by Jill Steeples. It was fun, entertaining, comical and a utter feel-good story. The whole concept behind it was brilliant and having a twist right near the beginning completely caught my attention. I was hooked the rest of the way through. 

Anna finds her best friend's diary on her bedroom floor. Unable to quench her nosiness, Anna peeks inside and can't believe what she finds. Her so called "best-friend" Sophie has been having an affair with her soon-to-be-husband, Ed, and suddenly, Anna is faced with the decision of "Do I still want this?" What follows is a fantastic escape from Anna's messed up, unattractive life. She disappears to one of her oldest friend's Ben's house in the country and chooses to stay there whilst she makes up her mind. Whilst far away from her regular life, Anna meets a colourful array of characters who try their best to advise Anna on what to do. Not everyone is as they seem though, and Anna soon finds that out. 

The story was about escape and I bloody loved it. After having to read about her best friend Sophie apparently falling in love with her fiance Ed, I'm not surprised she does a runner! I would too! After slapping Sophie silly first, obviously. I loved how Jill started the story. She misled me entirely and I actually sat back, eyed my Kindle and mouthed the words, "What the fuck" when the plot took a turn for the worst. After that little twist, it was fair to say I was hooked, without a doubt. 

Anna's character made me laugh again and again in Let's Call the Whole Thing Off. When she finds out about Sophie and Ed, the first thing she does is pours herself a glass of wine. Girl after my own heart! ;) I loved how she dealt with the situation, disappearing and giving herself a whole new identity and actually thinking that it was believable. It made me giggle constantly and I don't think I have read such an entertaining book in a long time. It was enjoyable, it kept me wanting more and I just couldn't stop reading due to being desperate to reading about whatever Anna came up with next. Her little escapade to the country gives way to many, many things happening. I loved reading about her gathering her thoughts, I loved reading as the other characters bestowed their wise words upon her and I just LOVED the escapism of the story. I totally lost myself in it. Anna's attempt at running away is extremely entertaining. I was rather shocked at the fact that she didn't react to the confessions in Sophie's diary in a more aggressive manner. I was actually hoping for a bit of a brawl between her and Sophie, but I guess just getting up and leaving was a much better payback for Ed, the dirty dog!!! 

I'm rating Let's Call the Whole Thing Off by Jill Steeples with a brilliant 9/10! It was enjoyable, entertaining, funny and downright wild! I loved it! A total girly, chick-flick read that left me with a smile on my face long after finishing it! 

* * * 



4 comments :

  1. So glad you enjoyed this one as much as I did :) I'd love to read a sequel too :)

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Isabel! :D YES! A sequel would be fantastic wouldn't it? xx

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much, Becca, for your wonderful review. It's put a big smile on my face this morning! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome Jill - I bloody loved it! Had me grinning from ear to ear all the way through ;)

      Delete