Bad Brides by Rebecca Chance

Good brides promise to obey. Bad brides wouldn't dream of it... 


Title - Bad Brides
Author - Rebecca Chance
Publication Date - March 27th 2014
Publisher - Simon & Schuster Ltd
Format - Kindle Edition 
Pages - 396 

The blurb

Mill Gamble is an up-and-coming actress, and the perfect English flower child. At 23, she's always been cast as the innocent heroine. But looks can deceive. Calculating and fiercely ambitious, Milly is determined to be the most famous star in England. And how better to achieve her goal than by dating Tarquin Ormond, lead singer of the biggest folk band of the moment? Tarquin is madly in love with Milly; Milly is only in love with herself. 

Brianna Jade is an all-American pageant girl. The daughter of Tamra Maloney, a stunning billionairess, Brianna is a sweet, pretty girl who is more than happy to go along with her mother's ambitious plans for her. Now Tamra's brought her to the UK and hooked her up with an Earl. He has a crumbling stately home and needs a rich wife to help restore it to its former glory. Tamra is as ambitious and determined  to as Brianna is sweet and innocent - is this more a case of mother-in-law-zilla than bridezilla? 

Both Milly and Brianna's upcoming weddings will be huge, lavish events that garner national press. But with the cover of the biggest magazine in the country to be won, things are about to get very dirty...

Becca's thoughts

Never in my wildest dreams did I think that I would enjoy Bad Brides as much as I did. I don't know why, but I absolutely freaking' LOVED this and I now want to read all of Rebecca Chance's previous books to make up for lost time. 

The plot of Bad Brides was incredibly easy to follow. Rebecca wrote smoothly, her sentences neatly strung together, and there were many moments within the story where my cheeks had no option but to blush. Now, I love a steamy novel, but this was just something else. Outrageously filthy, dirty scenarios and circumstances that caused my mouth to instantly drop open in shock. Honestly, Miss Chance does not hold back, and I absolutely loved it. Another thing that was apparent when I was reading Bad Brides was Rebecca's eye to detail. She brought the story to life in my mind and I was able to picture every single little thing that she wrote about. Character's outfits, their hair, their make-up, and then of course, the huge stately home that Brianna Jade finds herself in. I love it when authors highlight details. It's like a HD film playing in my head. 

Rebecca's characters in Bad Brides were brilliant. Each of their personalities brought the story to life. Bitchiness, spitefulness, revenge and playing dirty. It was incredibly entertaining, a bit like watching a more grown up version of Mean Girls I suppose ;) 

My favourite character, by far, was Brianna Jade. I absolutely adored the girl. A real American beauty with her curvaceous body and beautiful blonde hair, she seemed like the most down to earth one out of all them. Coming from a not-so-glitzy background, Brianna Jade found herself living in a huge, stately home with a man that she was prepared to learn to love. I felt so sorry for her at times. I didn't feel like there was a nasty bone in her body. She was easily led by her mother, and I found that she really didn't want to be there, living in such a massive home and about to be wed to man that she, in all honesty, didn't really know.

As much as I loved Tamra, Brianna's mother, I found her to be a little overbearing at times. I had tiny urges to place my hand over her mouth and say "Shh." Rebecca never forgot to solidify the fact that Tamra was absolutely stunning, goddess-like even. She was referred to as a MILF once or twice and she absolutely loved the attention. Tamra was incredibly glamorous and money meant nothing when it came to her daughter. Besides that, there was an amazing mother/daughter relationship between Tamra and her daughter, and it reminded me of my own mother and I. I got the feeling that it was Tamra and Brianna Jade against the world and it was adorable. Tamra was obviously steering the wheel of that ship though. 

Brianna's wedding rival, Milly, was a complete and utter spoiled little brat! Urgh, she really ground my gears and I just couldn't stand her materialistic view of the world. Everything had to be about her, including her wedding. I felt so sorry for her significant other, Tarquin. He was besotted with Milly but quite rightly, as the blurb said, Milly was besotted with herself. She would do anything to gain a step on the career ladder, and I mean anything. I really disliked Milly. End of discussion. 

There was a whole multitude of characters in Bad Brides - all glitzy and shiny and it made the whole story absolutely scandalous. It was bloody brilliant and I'm definitely up for reading more of Rebecca's books. It would be silly for me to rate Bad Brides by Rebecca Chance with anything less than five outta' five stars. An amazing novel that brought the how the other side live right to the forefront of my mind. 

* * * 





Post a Comment