Q&A time with Rebecca Raisin

Happy Monday book lovers! 
Today, I am so excited to have the fantastic Rebecca Raisin on Becca's Books for some Q&A time! 


~A little bit about Rebecca Raisin ~
Rebecca Raisin is a true bibliophile. This love of books morphed into the desire to write them. She's been widely published in short story anthologies, and in fiction magazines. And now she is focusing on writing romance. 

Rebecca aims to write characters you can see yourself being friends with. People with big hearts who care about relationships and believe in true love. 

~Q&A time~
Firstly, thank you so much, Rebecca! I am delighted to be interviewing you on Becca's Books. You're a sensational author, and your stories are just delicious. Let's get started!  

1.) The typical interview question for an author: What inspired you to begin writing? How long have you been writing for now? 

I began writing on the advice of a friend and fellow author. I was a fan of his work, and we conversed about his books, and he suggested I try and write! Secretly I'd always dreamed of writing but thought of myself as a reader. I'd written some terribly angst-y poems in high school but that was it. I took a creative writing class, and absolutely loved it. It was like I'd found my true passion. That was almost six years ago now, and I am so grateful for that first initial push! Having someone believe in you, and inspire you is an amazing thing. 

2.) Did you read a lot before you began writing? Do you have any particular favourite childhood books? 

I've always been a voracious reader. My pocket money as a child all went on books. I read all of the Sweet Valley High books and The Babysitters Club books, but one particular book that has stayed with me was a book called Melissa's Ghost by Michael Dugan. I reread countless times as a child. I have since found two copies so that when my boys are older they can read it too. The one hope I have for my children is that they develop a love of reading that lasts forever. 

3.) I've always imagined authors having glam, fabulous lives! What does your daily life involve? 

Oh, wow, well for the sake of not ruining your fantasy, I wake up and drink a glass of champagne for breakfast and eat some freshly picked strawberries...

Okay, that's not quite true...

I am a mum of twin boys, so I spend a lot of time picking up Lego. Or standing on it. I have some great Lego scars. I do feel triumphant when I suck the Lego up the vacuum cleaner. I'll stop talking about Lego now. 

I write every day, it's my escape from the real world, and I like nothing better than hanging out with people I've created. I usually write after school drop off for four or five hours, and then switch back into Mummy-mode. After school is family time, and once the boys are in bed, I spend a lot of time on social media, hanging out with my other friends, book bloggers, writers, and readers! I am constantly amazed with the support by people online, and I count so many of these people as friends, though we haven't actually met. 

4.) Referring to your Gingerbread Cafe series, would you ever consider running your own, real-life Gingerbread Cafe? 

Actually, hubby and I did discuss this at one point just after the first book came out. We both love cooking, our whole family does, and he's always wanted me to open up some kind of foodie venture. It's something I would have loved to do if I didn't write. I think you'd have to be 110% committed to a cafe to make it work, and I wouldn't have time. Though, I would dearly love someone else to do it, preferably where I live so I could go hang out there and write!

5.) We all have a celebrity crush, don't we? Who's yours? 

Whoa. I have WAY too many! 
I love Chris Hemsworth, too much. Jude Law. Emile Hirsch. Oops, I can't choose between them! 

6.) Have you many plans for your future writing? Any upcoming books that you're planning on working on, besides your Gingerbread Cafe series? 

I'm working on another novella which is set in Ashford, where the Gingerbread Cafe is, but it is from Sarah's point of view. You'll meet Sarah in briefly in Chocolate Dreams at the Gingerbread Cafe. I think it's a way I can still keep my eye on Lil and Cee as they make appearances in Sarah's story too! Then I have another from Missy's point of view, who you'll meet later! And then of course, the last Gingerbread book at Christmas-time. 

7.) Are you a coffee or tea lover? 

Coffee! Though I do like Earl Grey tea too. 

8.) With summer slowly creeping up on us, what are your plans for this years sunshine? 

I'm in Australia, so we're about to say goodbye to summer! It's been a very long, and hot season for us, so I'm really looking forward to some rain, and the perfect excuse to stay in bed and read!

9.) The 20th of March was publication day for your second novella in The Gingerbread Cafe series, Chocolate Dreams at the Gingerbread Cafe! Congratulations! Do you think you could describe in less than ten words the feeling you get when you're book is just about to be published? 

Extreme nervousness coupled with excitement and a sense of achievement. 

10.) If you had to choose your favourite author, who would it be? Is there a genre that you just love? 

Oh, so tricky to pick one! I love Joanne Harris! Adore her writing! I love all genres, but my favourites are contemporary romance, and chick lit. 

11.) When writing, do you have any bad habits? 

Well, since I've been writing about gingerbread and chocolate I've had to have a ready supply on hand so I can focus. Not good at all! And I am terribly disorganised! I have post it notes somewhere, and a to-do list, with some great ideas, I just can't find them! 

12.) How do you feel when you sit back and look upon your finished work? 

Once it's finished I am usually very excited to have completed it, but I am also at the point I don't want to read it again for a very long time! By then, I've read it so many times the words blur! 

Well, thank you very much Rebecca! I am so glad I had the chance to chat with you, and it's been an absolute pleasure having you here on Becca's Books! 

Thanks so much for having me, Bec! Your questions were fabulous! And I hope you get that sunshine soon! xx 

* * * 

~ You can find Rebecca Raisin on the following social media platforms ~ 


~ Rebecca's novellas can also be found on Amazon ~





  







2 comments :

  1. Loved reading this :) Well done ladies, great questions and interesting answers xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahoo, thank you Simona, it was lovely having Rebecca here! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete