Take Mum Out by Fiona Gibson

Take egg white and sugar, fluffed up with tons of air, which turns into something magical.


Title - Take Mum Out
Author - Fiona Gibson 
Publication Date - March 13th 2014
Publisher - Avon 
Format - Kindle Edition 
Pages - 384 

The blurb

Alice needs to get back in the saddle... 

Laugh-out-loud funny, Fiona's writing deals with the real life cringe-worthy moments we all know so well...

'What d'you want a boyfriend for? You're a mum...' 

Ugh - Alice despises that phrase. She's fine being single - with two slothful teenager boys and a meringue business to run, she has enough on her plate without negotiating the troublesome world of modern dating. 

However, Alice's three best friends have other ideas. Each one will present her with an utterly delicious, eligible man - all Alice has to do is pick her favourite. 

Get set for...
Three blind dates...
Two teenage boys messing up her plans...
And one man who'll melt Alice's heart... 
But which one will it be? 

Becca's thoughts 

One word that perfectly describes Take Mum Out by Fiona Gibson is HILARIOUS. 
I haven't read a book that has made me giggle this much in years. I absolutely loved it and I would gladly re-read this just for the laughter that it drew from me.

The characters in Take Mum Out were absolutely brilliant. Written in a first person perspective from Alice's point of view, it was impossible not to laugh when it came to the author's style of writing. Fiona Gibson created the most hilarious situations and side-splitting dialogue that I really couldn't contain the tears that resulted from so much laughing. Fiona's main character, Alice, was the mum of two teenage sons, Fergus and Logan. Instantly, I knew that I was going to adore this story. Having a huge family myself, anything that involves day to day home life (cooking, cleaning, washing up, finding long-lost items around the house) makes me smile because it's all so familiar. I love reading books like this, that don't go too over the top with ideas and keep things down to earth, and Take Mum Out just spoke straight to my heart. Alice, the main character and mother of two, also runs her own business called Sugar Mummy where she makes meringues. I absolutely loved the idea of this and found it adorably comforting, tying in perfectly with the whole 'family' feeling. Alice's character overall was entirely and utterly lovable. There was not a single thing that I disliked about her and I really wanted her to find her perfect, dream man! Alice's friends decide that it is time for her to get back into the saddle, so each of them decide to set Alice up on a date with a man of each of their choice. What follows is a hilariously, funny, romantic adventure alongside Alice and her dates. It was funny, engaging and it completely hooked me, from start to finish. I do believe that Take Mum Out is the funniest book that I have read since the good old days of Bridget Jones, and that's saying something. Fiona has written this story with such ease and it just feels so laid-back and down to earth, I really can't find a single bad thing to say about it. Alice's two sons, Fergus and Logan, reminded me so much of my own younger brothers. They were obsessed with gaming, they loved kicking back and sprawling out in front of the television, and they enjoyed ordering lots of junk food for themselves too. Again, the idea of comfort and normalcy rolls throughout the entirety of the story, and I enjoyed it immensely. As well as Alice and her sons (obviously they had to come from somewhere) there is the boys' father, Tom. I didn't pay much attention to Tom, mainly for the fact that I just couldn't stand the man. After Alice and Tom had split up, he quickly snatched up a new woman for himself and promptly moved on with his life. Fergus and Logan still see their father, but like I said, I didn't much like him, therefore I have no comments about him, other than JERK. There was also Alice's close group of friends who set Alice up on countless dates with apparently 'lovely' men, and Alice's moany mother too. Honestly, the mixture of characters involved in this story was amazing and I loved the feeling of having so many characters involved and watching as their lives unfolded as well as the main characters. 

If I could rate Take Mum Out with a higher rating, then I would. Becca's Books is awarding Take Mum Out by Fiona Gibson with an amazing 5/5! I truly cannot recommend this book enough. It is the ultimate pick-me-up read, and they're not joking when they described it as being 'laugh-out-loud,' because it made me do just that. Ever page, every chapter had me cackling and I got told to shush more than once. That is how good this is. A colourful array of hilarious characters, a wonderfully written story, and a story that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, this is a must-read for 2014. I wanna' re-read it already.    

Post a Comment