The Summer Guest by Emma Hannigan

Lexie took Sam's hand and led him back into the kitchen. 
"Sam, I can see us living here," she whispered. "I've totally fallen in love with it."


Title - The Summer Guest
Author - Emma Hannigan
Publication Date - March 27th 2014
Publisher - Headline Review 
Format - Kindle Edition
Pages - 384

The blurb

Lexi and her husband Sam have put their heart and soul into renovating No.3 Cashel Square. Lexi's mother thinks it's high time they had a baby, but Lexi's thriving art gallery keeps her more than busy. Plus her headstrong niece Amelie seems to have practically moved in. And then, just as summer arrives, a mysterious stranger knocks on the door. Kathleen Williams has come from America, longing to see the house in Cashel Square where she was born, over sixty years ago. Kathleen's visit is tinged with sadness but she finds comfort and laughter with Lexie and Amelie. Soon the three women are sharing their hearts, tears and secrets, little knowing their unexpected friendship will touch them all in more ways than they can imagine... 

Becca's thoughts

As usual, I'm going to begin my review by swooning over Emma's stunning cover for The Summer Guest. Take a look, readers. Isn't it just sublime? Everything about that cover is what I LOVE. The gorgeous blue sky, the pretty garden seats. It reminds me of beautiful summers spent sitting in the garden, with the sun shining down, laughing, eating and drinking wine. I can't swoon over this cover more, even if I tried. It is such an eye-catcher. 

I found The Summer Guest to be a smooth, easy read, but Emma still managed to slip in some real-life issue that really gave the story a bit of "oopmh!" Some dramatic, some happy and some just plain sob-inducing. With these real-life issues added to the mix, as well the warm, homely undertone that rolled through it too, I was hooked. 

Emma's characters were wonderfully put together, and I found them all to be true delight. I became so involved with them that I was quite concerned about what Emma had planned for them. You have Lexie and Sam, the young, gorgeous couple who are living happily in their newly renovated home, No.3 Cashel Square. You have Kathleen, who travels all the way from America to visit her childhood home. There's a real sense of nostalgia when it comes to Kathleen, which at times made me teary eye but then at other times made me smile in happiness. As well as those fantastic characters, there's also Lexie's hormone-charged teenage niece, Amelie, who reminded me so much of my own sister. At a time in her life where exams are taking over, stress is ruling and friends have a huge influence, it's a good job Amelie has her auntie Lexie to try and keep control of things. I adored the relationship between Amelie and Lexie, it was so lovely to witness. There's a wonderful mix of people involved in this adorable story and it was just an absolute pleasure to read. 

Emma Hannigan creates such cosy and picturesque settings, I just wanted to live in this story and meet all of these fabulous characters. Perfectly written with a twisting story-line that will grab hold of your heart in its hands. 

The Summer Guest by Emma Hannigan is receiving a rating of 5/5 from Becca's Books - this is going to be a MUST to read during the summer, sitting in the garden and sipping a glass of wine.

 * * * 







Post a Comment