Breathe into Me by Sara Fawkes

At times like this, I had to tell myself over and over that being with him was better than being at home, but it no longer felt like the truth. 


Title - Breathe into Me
Author - Sara Fawkes
Publication Date - April 8th 2014
Publisher - St. Martin's Griffin
Format - eBook 
Pages - 288

The blurb

How did my life get so broken? 

It's a question that Lacey St. James asks herself every day. Stuck raising her little brother in a trailer park while she works a dead end job at a grocery store, she has a stalker ex-boyfriend, a bad reputation, and no way out. 

And then, she meets Everett, who changes her entire existence. 

Everett is an outsider who's house-sitting his family's mansion off the coast, and for reasons Lacey can't understand, he's completely transfixed by her. He seems determined to show her that life can offer more than she'd ever hoped for, if only she believes in herself. She desperately yearns to trust him, but what happens when she finds out that everything he's told her is a lie? 

Becca's thoughts
(I received Breathe into Me by Sara Fawkes via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review)

I had never heard of Sara Fawkes before I read Breathe into Me. After browsing through NetGalley's recently added titles and having a read of the description, I decided it sounded like my kinda' book and requested it immediately. Thankfully, I was accepted and I began reading it right away. 

I thought that the cover for Breath into Me was absolutely beautiful. It's so romantic and incredibly intimate. It worked so well with the plot, turning the cover into so much more than just an image. The positioning of the female model, the way she is curled into the male, makes it seem as if he's protecting her, and I just love that. 

The plot itself was superbly written. Lacey has had such an awful life so far. My heart went out to the girl. She has a horrible grandmother, a real jackass of a violent and extreme boyfriend, and her trailer park home feels more like somewhere that she's never belonged. Her wages are taken from her for imaginary bills and costs, her once alive and kicking mother is now a shadow of her former self, and her little brother Davy is turning out to need her help more than she bargained for. Everything is falling apart around her, and alls I really wanted to do was to lean into my Kindle and give her a huge hug. 

Lacey herself was a beautiful person with a gorgeous soul. I loved her personality, her unrelenting need to protect her little brother and provide him with the best life possible, her dream to get away from the dusty trailer park and the paused life. Sara Fawkes did a fantastic job of really getting that idea across to the reader. Lacey seemed tired, worn-down and beaten by her life and her job and the people that surrounded her. Her grandmother was a very mean, bitter woman that I seriously took a dislike too. Constantly taking Lacey's wages and storming around the trailer like a tornado, she was a strong presence in the book that enjoyed making Lacey seem small and useless, when in actuality, Lacey worked her ass off. As well as the grimy presence of her grandmother, there was also Macon, Lacey's violent, nasty, evil boyfriend. Urgh, this guy disgusted me. He was just horrible. He enjoyed inflicting pain upon Lacey, keeping a hold over her and unwilling to let her stray too far. He definitely had two sides to his persona, and chose to show the different sides depending on  who he was with. When he was with Lacey, the nasty, vile side of him was shown. I really wanted to slap him upside the head. In front of anyone else, alls he had to do was give one look to Lacey and she was at his side. He had a power over her that I was dying for her to break free from. As soon as Everett came along, I knew good things were going to come her way. Everett was adorable. So caring, kind and gentlemanly. He was the perfect guy, and just what Lacey needed to bring her out of her slump. 

Everything was so effortlessly put together in Breathe into Me. The relationships were fantastically built, and I loved watching them evolve. Lacey's depressed, beaten character was chipped away at to reveal something so much more beautiful. Someone who was happy and excited and felt like a real human being. 

I have to say, this book had me a little breathless. I was completely and utterly absorbed in the plot, I felt insanely involved with the characters and I really hope there will be a sequel to Breathe into Me. I am dying for Sara Fawkes to continue the story of Everett and Lacey. 

Becca's Books is rating Breathe into Me with a wonderful 4/5 stars! it was a joy to read. Emotional, heart-grabbing and dramatic. Definitely a winner with me. Oh, and we can't forget the hearthrob that is Everett, can we? 

* * * 
         

Post a Comment