The Love of My Life by Louise Douglas

He should have been my happy ending. Instead, he is the sad beginning to my story.


Title - The Love Of My Life
Author - Louise Douglas 
Publication Date - February 20th 2009
Publisher - Pan Books
Format - Kindle Edition 
Pages - 340 

The blurb

'I miss him with every breath and heartbeat. He should have been my happy ending. Instead, he is the sad beginning to my story.'

Olivia and Luca Felicone had known each other nearly all their lives, but when they fell in love as teenagers and eloped to London they broke the hearts of those closest to them. Luca's parents run Marinella's restaurant, the colourful hub of life in the otherwise bleak north-eastern seaside town of Watersford, and his mother, Angela, has never forgiven Olivia for causing such a rift in her beloved family. 

On a freezing January night Olivia's life is shattered when she learns that Luca has been killed in a car accident. She is left with nothing and, after suffering from weeks of overwhelming grief, she abandons her job and returns North to where Luca has been buried in Watersford. Olivia's chance meeting with Luca's married twin brother, Marc, leads to the realisation that he is experiencing a loss almost as painful as her own. Their desolation draws them into an affair which both know has no future, but fills the space where Luca should be. 

Becca's thoughts

There is only one word that I can conjure up when thinking of how to describe this story. 
Beautiful

The Love Of My Life by Louise Douglas was completely and utterly depressing. I think I felt sad for the entirety of it, but just beneath that sadness, was hope and faith for the main character, Olivia. Olivia tells a very solemn and heart-breaking story to the reader, of her past relationship with Luca and how it all came to be, as well the aftermath of their love. 

One thing that I loved about this book was how Louise jumped backwards and forwards between the present and the past. As more of the "now" was revealed, a little more of the "then" was revealed too. It left me feeling completely involved in Olivia and Luca's story as I was told of how they met, of Oliva's younger years and the crazy things that she would get up to. It was wonderful, being let in on their history and I adored it. 

The story is basically set around Luca's family and Olivia. The differences between them, the sour relationships that are formed and how Olivia has to fight to be regarded as one of them. Luca's mother, Angela, plays a big role in the story. She has never really liked Olivia, and causing a lot of problems for her throughout the story. As the past is told, I began to see how everything was brought together and it was neatly tied up at the end, leaving no questions unanswered. 

The Love Of My Life should probably come with a 'tissue warning,' as it's very deep, meaningful and dripping with grief. There's a lot of desperation from Olivia too, a lot of tears and thoughts and it just broke my heart repeatedly. Becca's Books is giving The Love Of My Life by Louise Douglas 4/5 stars! It was a fab read, maybe a tad too depressing for me, but it kept me interested from start to finish and that's always good. 

* * * 
  


Post a Comment