The Sentinel by Holly Martin

"If you need to run, you run. No one knows about this, no one. Don't look back, don't take anyone with you, just run if you have to."


Title - The Sentinel 
Author - Holly Martin 
Publication Date - October 16th 2013
Publisher - 
Format - eBook
Pages - 317

The blurb

What if saving the world meant losing everything? 

When Eve is rescued from a horrific coach crash by her teachers, she is shocked to discover they possess super strength and speed. But what happens next is even more harrowing. 

In the aftermath of the crash she discovers that everyone in her life from neighbours, doctors, dentists, teachers, shop keepers and even her family and friends are actually super strength Guardians sent to protect her. They all have one thing in common, a single minded ferocity that she must be kept alive at all costs. 

However, she is surrounded by secrets and lies. Those in the know deny all knowledge of what happened that fateful night. Everyone else carries on as normal, seemingly unaware of the new strange world that she has stumbled against. 

With the help of Seth, her best friend, Eve discovers the prophecies surrounding her true identity and the super strength she too holds. With her Guardians pledged to protect her, her closest friends ready to die for her, her own hopes and dreams are put on hold whilst she battles to control the amazing powers she has been bestowed with. 

But those that seek to destroy her move ever closer. Will the Guardians be enough to protect her when so many are prepared to stop at nothing to see her dead? And will she be strong enough to fulfil her destiny when the time comes? 

Becca's thoughts

The Sentinel was insanely good.I mean, INSANELY insanely good. More so because I don't usually enjoy fantasy books and this was completely out of my normal genre range.And do I regret it? Hell to the no, because The Sentinel by Holly Martin rocked my freaking world. 

Firstly, the whole idea behind The Sentinel was amazing. I swear, the imagination of Holly Martin was phenomenal. She creates the craziest scenarios, adds her magic of words to the mix, and BAM! You've got a novel that's impossible to put down, impossible to forget about, and impossible to not rant and rave about too. She could bottle up that mind of her's and sell it for millions. She really, truly could. The beginning of The Sentinel was brilliant. Completely hooked me in, and then continued to keep my hanging by a thread the entire way through. I could not tear my eyes away for a single second. There was always action taking place, some kick-ass fighting on Eve or her Guardian's behalf, and the powers that Eve held were just AMAZING. I wanted to be in her shoes so many times throughout reading The Sentinel, just to be able to read somebody else's mind or have conversations with them without actually moving my lips ;) I was completely immersed within Eve's new strange and unusual world, holding my breath and cheering her on constantly. The plot really was something else. There wasn't one single moment where I felt my attention waning. With every turn of the page (or swipe of my finger on my Kindle screen) something new was happening, or developing at the very least. I was never bored. Never, ever, ever. 

Holly Martin's characters in The Sentinel were absolutely fantastic. Firstly, there was Eve, Holly's protagonist. I admired Eve so much whilst reading, mainly because her life was turned upside down pretty much as soon as The Sentinel began. Despite the awful turn of events, Eve comes out the other side stronger than she has ever been, and a lot more powerful too. (In more ways than one!) I found her to be brave, courageous, and more than once Holly provided a side to Eve that proved she was still completely and utterly human, no matter what super strength powers she may have. 
Seth was another character that I adored. Mm, I found him to be on the rather yummy side too ;) Seth had been Eve's best friend since they were children, therefore knew Eve before everything went up in the air. The relationship between Eve and Seth was a raw, beautiful one, and they both knew it. I loved reading about them interacting with each other, and definitely found Seth's protective and caring nature towards Eve incredibly endearing. I loved him, he was always there for Eve, and I was just waiting for something more to blossom between them. 
As well as Eve and Seth, there were Eve's many Guardians. They were totally amazing and I was captivated with each and every one of them. I found them intriguing to say the least, especially the males with their huge muscles and heroic characteristics. One of the Guardians I found particularly interesting was Eli. Eve knew Eli when she was younger. He was incredibly protective over Eve, more so than the others I felt, besides Seth. He was also quite strict with Eve, not wanting to let her leave his sight. I found it charming but could understand completely why Eve felt the way that she did sometimes, basically being constantly under lock and key. 

One thing that I just have to comment on, as silly as it may sound, is the fact that Holly titled her chapters. It has been so long since I read a book with titled chapters, and I can't even say why I enjoyed it so much but I loved it. Just absolutely loved the fact that her chapters had titled. It's such a traditional way to write a story, one I remember being around much more when I was a child, and I felt like I was slipping back in time. 

Becca's Books is rating The Sentinel by Holly Martin with an incredibly worthy rating of 5 out of 5 gorgeous glittering stars. As I said at the beginning of my review, totally not the sort of book that I would normally go for, but totally the sort of book that I'm now willing to pick up and read again and again. The Sentinel would be perfect for any fantasy lovers out there, anyone who loves a fast-paced, action packed novel full of weird and wonderful ideas that will absolutely blow your mind. In fact, to hell with it, my normal genre is chick-lit and I freaking loved it, so I'm going to recommend this book to everybody and anybody. It's definitely one to read if you haven't already. Take it from me. 

* * * 




Post a Comment