Thirteen Weddings by Paige Toon

"Sometimes you have to go back to be able to move on," he says. I smile sadly and nod. 


Title - Thirteen Weddings
Author - Paige Toon
Publication Date - May 22nd 2014
Publisher - Simon & Schuster UK
Format - eBook
Pages - 400

The blurb

Last year, Bronte left Sydney for a wedding in England, where she met newly single Alex. After a night of passion they parted ways, and Bronte returned to Australia. 

Now working on a picture desk for a magazine in London, Bronte is about to meet her new colleague, who turns out to be all too familiar. Although awkward at first, as Alex is now engaged to the girl he was on a break from when they met, they soon become friends. But as the two get closer, and the wedding day looms, it is clear that Alex and Bronte have unfinished business. 

Becca's thoughts

I would like to start my review off by saying a very grateful thank you to the publishers, Simon and Schuster UK, for accepting me via Net Galley to read and review Paige's latest title Thirteen Weddings. I cannot put into words my excitement and craziness when I opened the email that announced my acceptance. So seriously, thank you! You made my day that day. 

There is something, something that I can't quite put my finger on, about Paige's books. It could be the beautifully designed covers that take my breath away with every new release. It could also be the amazing, true-to-life characters that I can never do anything else but love. There's a high chance that it could be her stories; stories that I can completely and obsessively lose myself within, and the majority of the time, I don't really want to ever leave. It could be the incredible emotions that Paige manages to awake within me. Like I said, I don't really know. But what I do know is that there is nothing else, nothing else in this entire universe, that can make me feel the same way that I do when I am reading one of Paige Toon's books. Nothing.

You get a hint of what Thirteen Weddings is all about in the title. Yep, you got it! Weddings. I don't think that I have ever read a book that envelopes you in a world of matrimony more than what Thirteen Weddings does. Bronte is Paige's main character and what a lovely character she is. Bronte's experience of love and marriage has been tainted ever since she witnessed something painfully disturbing as a young girl. From that moment on, she has happily traveled through life observing the people around her become two rather than one, but she decided long ago that marriage was not for her. It just wasn't. When Bronte happens to meet Alex at her friend's hen do, she's rather taken with him. Both have just split up from their significant other halves and both could conjure up a million other places where they would rather be. There was instantly a spark between Alex and Bronte when they first met, and this is the signature Toon effect.  Afterwards, Alex and Bronte share a passionate night together and both don't imagine that they will ever see each other again. Isn't it funny how wrong you can be? 

As I said before, something that plays a huge role in this book is weddings. I don't want to give too much away and spoil it for any would-be-readers, but the reader receives a first hand look at what really goes on during the big day. The flowers, the cakes, the groom and bride, and of course the dress. Paige described everything with perfect clarity and detail. Honestly, once I had finished, I had weddings on the brain! It was hard not to feel excited about any future events after reading this. I'm still pretty excited now, hehe! ;) Hell, I've practically planned my own big day now too! The entire theme of weddings tied in perfectly with the main character Bronte's hidden history. Paige constantly dropped little hints and flashbacks throughout the book, taking the reader back to Bronte's childhood. It may seem a little blurry at first, but trust me, the pieces soon fall together and you're finally let in on what happened all that time ago, and why Bronte plans to never get hitched herself. 

Not only was I incredibly impressed with the detail of the weddings, but another thing that had me smiling to no end was when Paige dropped references into the story of other characters from previous books. Johnny Jefferson was a main one that had me grinning from ear to ear. Honestly, Paige is just one of the most incredible authors I have ever read. I just cannot get enough of her stories! 

Basically, the only thing left for me to say about Thirteen Weddings is that it was AMAZING. Once again, as was the same when I finished her previous titles, I was so sad to say goodbye to them. Hopefully one day Paige decides to pick back up with Bronte and her significant other, but I won't ruin the surprise by telling you which significant other than will be ;)  

It's not under debate. Thirteen Weddings by Paige Toon is definitely worthy of the this 5 star rating. You need her books on your bookshelf. Trust me. 


* * * 





  






1 comment :

  1. You're SO right about Paige's books! Something about her words and her stories and her characters and the beautiful books themselves leave me completely addicted to each part of each novel! Her words are so gorgeously warm, and Thirteen Weddings was another example of this!

    ReplyDelete