The Teashop on the Corner by Milly Johnson

"Things will always get better. After all, when you've hit rock bottom, there's nowhere to go but up." 


Title - The Teashop on the Corner
Author - Milly Johnson 
Publication Date - June 19th 2014
Publisher - Simon and Schuster 
Format - Kindle Edition

The blurb

At her beloved husband's funeral, Carla Pride discovers that Martin never divorced his first wife and has been living a double life with her. And his other wife, Julie Pride, is determined to take everything from Carla - her home, her money, and her memories. 

When Will Linton's business goes bust he at least things that with the support of his trophy wife Nicole he will rise to the top again. But Nicole isn't going to stick around with a 'loser' and Will finds himself at rock bottom. 

Molly Jones is being bullied into going into a retirement home by her 'concerned' daughter-in-law Sherry and son Gram. Then the love of Molly's life walks in through her door - a man who broke Molly's heart into little pieces many years ago. But he says he is dying and wants to spend the time he has left with her. 

All people in need of a little love of compassion which they find by chance in the stationary and teashop on the corner run by the ever-cheerful Leni, a woman that site developer Shaun McCarthy finds annoying beyond annoying for her ability to remain unrealistically upbeat about everything. 

But is the world of Leni Merryman as full of rainbows and sparkles as everyone thinks? Or is her smile papering over many cracks that will soon be shattered unwillingly by her new friends? 

Becca's thoughts

The Teashop on the Corner by Milly Johnson was a delightful little read that was the perfect way to forget about the everyday stresses of life and kick back with a hot cup of tea and relax. 

Firstly, thank you to the lovely publishers Simon and Schuster UK Fiction for accepting me for Milly's latest novel via Net Galley. I couldn't wait to get started with this one, so I was very excited to start it, but then again, I'm excited about starting most books because I'm a very excitable person, haha. 

I'm going to be completely honest with you by saying that the title and the cover of this novel sold it to me before I had even set eyes on the blurb. I LOVE tea. I love teacups, I love cute little tea shops and cakes and all those pretty little things that you usually find in a tea shop, therefore the title The Teashop on the Corner and the cover image of that adorable lady serving cakes and tea with an apron wrapped around her waist was like heaven to me! 

So, The Teashop on the Corner is based on... Well, a tea shop on the corner, owned by the ever-cheerful Leni Merryman. Seriously, even her surname makes you want to smile! And within this tea shop, friendships are made and comfort is found. I adored this place and I spent the majority of my time whilst reading it, wishing that I had a tea shop identical to Leni's near me, so that I could take a walk there, settle down at a table with a good novel and order myself a coffee and one her bloody delicious sounding cakes. What I found made this tea shop EXTRA special was the fact that it was also part stationary shop, and not just any stationary, but stationary that was based on literary characters. It was incredible. There were scarves, handbags and all things cute and bookish, and I wanted to buy absolutely EVERYTHING. The entire novel revolved around this gorgeous tea shop, and I loved it to bits. The whole feel of the novel made me feel happy and snuggly, and it was one of those stories that leave you feeling uplifted and more positive about life. 

Within this delicious story were a multitude of warm, lovable characters who at one point or another cross each other's path, and it was fantastic to watch how Milly made their lives intertwine and collide with each other as each character's story unfolded. There was Leni Merryman, the owner of the tea shop on the corner. She was always smiling, always welcoming and happy, but hidden within Leni was a terrible secret that even I couldn't figure out, though I did pick up on a few hints throughout the novel as Leni's own story progressed. There was also Carla, who is actually the first character that Milly introduces you to. The novel opens with the funeral of Carla's husband Martin and instantly I felt so sad on Carla's behalf because what a grim way to open such a lovely looking book! But, just as Martin's funeral was coming to an end, Milly drops the bomb and the whole scene explodes with shock and confusion and I just couldn't believe what I was reading. I did go back and re-read it to ensure that what I had read was true, and it turned out it was. From that moment onwards, I was aghast for what Carla had been through. She was a gorgeous woman with Italian blood coursing through her veins, and from her chocolate dark eyes and curvaceous body, I had the image of a beautiful woman in my head, and I really couldn't believe what Martin had done. Bloody PIG! Will was another brilliant character that I began to develop a little fictional crush for, although his stupid, stuck-up wife was a different kettle of fish entirely. Will's business had just crumbled, and his wife leaves him because he can no longer provide the glamorous lifestyle that she wants and needs. I really didn't like his wife so I was glad when she left the plot early on and got out of the picture. I could quite happily of slapped her. So, obviously, Will needs a place to say. Quickly going back to Carla, seeing as she can no longer live in the home that she and Martin created, she purchases a big old house and plans to do it up. This house has a flat that she rents out because really, she doesn't need it, and that's where Mr Will Linton comes into. Will snaps up the flat and continues to stay there. Shaun was another character who pops in and out of the plat, who is taking care of the remaining empty units on the square where Leni has recently opened up her tea shop. Shaun had an awful upbringing and he rarely smiled, mainly due to those reasons. But Shaun can't seem to keep his eyes away from the new owner of the tea shop, who's constantly happy and bounding around like a new born lamb. I found Shaun to be quite miserable and unhappy, but I instantly felt the attraction between him and Leni, and I really hoped that something would happen between them to add a little light into both of their lives. Molly was probably my favourite character of all in The Teashop on the Corner. I absolutely adored her. Living in her big old house, she has to put up with constant visits from her vile daughter-in-law Sherry. I took a dislike to Sherry straight away. She was basically trying to get Molly out of the house and into a carehome and I felt like slapping her upside the head. Besides that, Molly also has another story that plays out alongside her, all to do with a long-lost love that makes a reappearance. I loved watching how this played out, and couldn't help but feel like I wanted Molly to be my grandmother. She was just so lovely and cosy. She'd definitely be one of those people that give the best hugs!

In The Teashop on the Corner, there are a million and one things going on. Milly takes you from one character's narrative to another, giving you a glimpse into each character's past and updating you on their present. It was fun, uplifting, and left me with a smile on my face after finishing. I adored Leni's tea shop, I loved watching the friendships and bonds forming, and I would love nothing more than to go and sit in a tea shop just like this one. It would be perfect! 

Becca's Books is giving Milly Johnson's The Teashop on the Corner a fabulous rating of five cupcakes! I loved it and I would definitely recommend it to any chick-lit lovers out there. If you're looking for a cosy, snuggly read, then this one would be it! 


***



    



Post a Comment