Two Weddings and a Baby by Scarlett Bailey

"It's typical of Poldore people that everyone is hoping for the best and not preparing for the worst."


Title - Two Weddings and a Baby
Author - Scarlett Bailey 
Publication Date - June 19th 2014
Publisher - Random House UK, Ebury Publishing
Format - eBook
Pages - 416

The blurb

Tamsyn Thorne has not been back to her home town of Poldore for five long years. 

But now her brother, Ruan, is about to get married and she has no excuses left. 

Her plans to arrive in Cornwall looking chic and successful are dashed when a huge storm turns her from fashion goddess to drowned rat. Worse, she ends up insulting the local hunky vicar - and then finds a tiny baby abandoned in his churchyard...

Becca's thoughts

Firstly, I'd just like to say a big thank you to the fantastic publishers at Random House UK, Ebury Publishing for accepting my request to view the title via Net Galley. Thank you! And to Scarlett Bailey of course, the wonderful creator of this charming story set in the adorable little town of Poldore that I have been missing since reading Just for Christmas which, by the way, was equally beautiful. 

I was ecstatic when I read that I had been accepted for this title and I downloaded it to my kindle as soon as I possibly could, although with a mountain of a to-read pile beside me, it took a while for me to actually get around to reading it. This is the second novel that I have read that is written by Scarlett Bailey and I was delighted to be taken back to Poldore, the charming little town hidden away in Cornwall. 

Tamsyn Thorne's story begins during her taxi ride back into Poldore, the rain pouring and the sky above a stormy grey, reminiscent of the day when she left, more than five years ago. Scarlett gives us a little background information about what Tamsyn has been up to whilst she's been absent; she's now a glamorous, sophisticated woman with a Parisian apartment and a job handling the business and PR for a fashion design company, who's also currently having a very grown-up affair with her boss, Bernard du Mont Pere. I loved Tamsyn from the get-go. Although she wasn't exactly the brightest bulb in the box, she had a knack for creating beautiful designs and a 'hero-like' quality about her. Upon Tamsyn's arrival back into Poldore, Scarlett repeatedly hints towards something that blew up between Tamsyn and her brother, Ruan, before she left the town all those years ago. I thought that this was a fabulous way to open her novel and really grab the reader's attention, beckoning for me to read on and find out more. Tamysn was beautiful, creative and had a cute tendency to "put her foot in it", which we've all done at one point or another, haven't we? The contrast between her Parisian life and the life that she was returning too was brilliantly shown to the reader by Scarlett's comical and true-to-life descriptions. 

Poldore itself was as delightful as ever, even if it was in the midst of a raging storm as Tamsyn returned. I particularly loved this description, it brought the town to life in my mind instantly. 

"Poldore looked, as ever, as if it was tumbling down the hill towards the Atlantic - as if one good nudge might be enough to send it floating out to sea, like a sort of picture-postcard Atlantis." 

Scarlett made it sound like this perfect, hidden-away town that, as stated above, wouldn't look out of place on a postcard. I loved everything about it, including all of it's quirky and vibrant characters; from Sue Montaigne to Buoy the dog. It was cosy, comfortable and I just wanted to snuggle down in the local pub and watch the characters carry on with their lives. I cannot put into words how happy I was to return to Poldore beside Tamsyn, although I should say that Tamsyn didn't seem the happiest about returning home. 

As I found with Just for Christmas, Scarlett's characters were just impossible to not love. There were so many of them, all with their unique and colourful personalities, and I found that I never found it hard to keep up with them. This was probably to do with the fact that Scarlett was writing from a third person perspective and stayed with Tamsyn throughout the entirety of the story, so I never found myself muddled up with who's who. There was Jed - an unbelievably hot vicar. Tamsyn's mother and sisters, a whole bunch of Thorne women who never failed to entertain me or make me giggle. Ruan, Tamsyn's gorgeous brother who was the groom-to-be, and Alex, Ruan's bride, the woman who Tamsyn had never met before. I loved witnessing Tamsyn being reunited with her brother, and again, the distinct hint of something that had happened before was constantly hovering just above them. It was like waiting for something explosive to happen. Scarlett's characters brought the town and her fictional story to life. 

I'm not including a spoiler here as it is already mentioned in the blurb, but there's also the baby aspect too. I did wonder how on earth Scarlett was going to manage to include a baby within the story as Tamsyn didn't seem to have a daughter or son with her when she arrived, so I was a little confused, but then BAM, it happened. It was lovely, warm and so moving, and Scarlett incorporated it within her plot like a true author - smoothly and just so damn believable. I think this added such a deeper depth to the character of Tamsyn and I just wanted to squeeze the hell out of her because it made me so freaking emotional. 

And of course, let's not forget the whole wedding theme, right? What girl doesn't love a wedding? I certainly do, and the wedding that was about the happen in Poldore was just brilliant. Scarlett chose a fabulous way to include some dramatics and catastrophe within her novel by letting loose the worse storm that Poldore has seen in years. Not only did this throw all plans up into the air but I was very intrigued as to how Scarlett's characters were going to overcome the chaos that was thrown their way.  

I really don't want to ruin the story for any would-be readers out there by giving the entire plot away, but believe me when I say that this is definitely one to add to the ever growing to-read list. It was beautiful, heart-warming and just downright gorgeous. From the idyllic setting to the multitude of fabulous characters, Two Weddings and a Baby is definitely one to add to your summer reading pile. 

Becca's Books is handing over five delicious cupcakes to Scarlett Bailey! Not only do we get to catch up with Ruan and his wife-to-be but we are also invited to their wedding. And Tamsyn? I guess you could call her a fairy god-mother... Well done Scarlett, I loved it! 


***











1 comment :

  1. Great review as usual! I really, really want to read this book, it sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete