Written in the Stars by Ali Harris

We can waste our lives wondering if we've made the right choices; or we can own them. 


Title - Written in the Stars
Author - Ali Harris 
Publication Date - June 5th 2014
Publisher - Simon & Schuster UK
Format - eBook
Pages - 400

The blurb

Bea Bishop is horrible at making decisions. Forget big life ones, even everyday choices seem to paralyse her. She's learned to live with this because experience has taught her that it doesn't matter what you do, no one has the power to control destiny. Anyone who believes they can is a fool. 

But as her wedding day approaches, her years of indecision are weighing heavily on her, and she can't help but wonder, 'What if, what if, what if...' What if she hadn't upped sticks and moved to London? What if she hadn't grabbed the first job that came along and settled down with the first guy who showed an interest? But all of her questions are silenced when she slips while walking down the aisle and is knocked unconscious. In this split second her life splits into two: in one existence, Bea flees back down the aisle and out of the church. In the other she glides blissfully towards her intended. 

But which story will lead to her happily ever after? 

Becca's thoughts

I'll be starting my review of Written in the Stars by Ali Harris in the same way that I do most, and that is by thanking the wonderful publishers Simon & Schuster UK for accepting me via Net Galley, and allowing me to get hold of an eBook copy of this absolutely breathtaking story. Seriously, thank you! This is one of those books that I like to refer to as a 'life changer.'

Adding onto that, how can I not thank the author Ali Harris for delivering such a moving, beautiful, masterpiece of a book? I love books, I do. I especially love romance. But this, ladies and gentlemen, is something way beyond that, something that will stay in my head and in my heart for a very long time indeed. Ali Harris, not only have you created something that I can't describe with any other word except for perfect, but you've managed to make me feel complete once more, and for that, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  

In Written in the Stars, we are introduced to Ali's main character Bea. The author swoops in and drops us straight into Bea's wedding. As she makes her way down the aisle towards her intended Adam, she slips and tumbles to the floor, knocking herself unconscious. And in that one moment, her world splits down the middle...

Amazing. I just cannot put into words how in awe I was of Ali's chosen structure of her story. Not only are we reading about Bea's present life, but we're reading about her other life too. This other life being the life she would be living if she had made just one choice differently. Never have I been so stunned at the way an author has written a book. Never in my life. It was two Beas, two life paths, and a million choices. Honestly readers, I think I'm still trying to get over it as I type so that's why I'm not making much sense, but please, please, please trust me when I say that Written in the Stars will make you look at everything differently. 

Ali's main character Bea was just wonderful in every single sense of the word. When I read about her past and her history I did want to pull her to one side and give her hug because she'd had it tough, especially when it came to her absent father. The whole father thing though? That's what I got. And from the way Ali wrote about the matter, I felt like she kinda' got me too. I guess you could say that I was in the same boat as Bea (Still am), where I don't know my father, and everything that Bea went through, all the emotions and thoughts, I've been through that too, and there are still days today where I go through it. But do you know how nice it is to read about a fictional character who hasn't got both parents in the picture, who has a father that just disappeared?  Bea will be one of my most favourite fictional characters from now on because I feel like she just gets me, and that my friends, is one of the best feelings in the world. It really, truly is. 

Reading Written in the Stars was like watching magic take place. Reading about Bea doing one thing, and then in the next chapter she was doing something else was just mind-blowing, but incredibly entertaining at the same time. I just couldn't get enough. This is the first book that I have ever read that has been written in such an unusual but fantastic way and I can't stop thinking about it, even now. It really made me sit back and think, what would I be doing right now if I had made that one decision differently? It got inside my head and underneath my skin and I had to stop myself from shrieking each time something major happened within the pages. It was unique, enchanting and it spoke straight to my heart. 

Book lovers from around the world, I hate to say it but no matter how hard I try, I feel that I will never be able to do this breathtaking story justice. Every page, every chapter, every word felt like I was peeking through the looking glass into this other world. Not only is this a story about finding your way to where you're meant to be, but it's about love, family and trusting yourself to make your own decisions in this big wide world, and knowing that one day, you'll be right where you need to be, at the perfect moment too. 

It would be stupid of me to rate Written in the Stars by Ali Harris with anything other than the highest rating! I feel like throwing my hands in the air and screaming, "I love life!" after reading it, and I adore when books leave you thinking about life in a completely different way. Thank you Ali, what a beautiful, life-affirming journey that was. That's five cupcakes from Becca's Books!


* * * 







2 comments :

  1. This sounds like an amazing book! I really want to read it now! I also love your cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete