Beautiful Oblivion by Jamie McGuire

"I was in trouble. Big, disastrous, Maddox trouble."


Title - Beautiful Oblivion 
Author - Jamie McGuire
Series - Maddox Brothers #1
Publisher - Simon & Schuster UK
Publication Date - July 1st 2014
Format - Kindle Edition
Pages - 448

The blurb

The Beautiful Disaster phenomenon continues in the first heart-pounding new adult romance in The Maddox Brothers series. 

Fiercely independent Camille "Cami" Camlin gladly moved on from her childhood before it was over. She has held down a job since before she could drive, and moved into her own apartment after her freshman year of college. Now tending bar at The Red Door, Cami doesn't have time for much else besides work and classes, until a trip to see her boyfriend is cancelled, leaving her with her first weekend off in almost a year. 

Trenton Maddox was the king of Eastern State University, dating co-eds before he even graduated high school. His friends wanted to be him, and women wanted to tame him, but after a tragic accident turned his world upside down, Trenton leaves campus to come to grips with the crushing guilt. 

Eighteen months later, Trenton is living at home with his widower father, and works full-time at a local tattoo parlour to help with the bills. Just when he thinks his life is returning to normal, he notices Cami sitting alone at a table at The Red. 

As the baby sister of four rowdy brothers, Cami believes she'll have no problem keeping her new friendship with Trenton Maddox strictly platonic. But when a Maddox boy falls in love, he loves forever - even if she is the only reason their already broken family could fall apart. In the first instalment of The Maddox Brothers series, readers can experience the rush of reading Beautiful Disaster for the first time, all over again. 

Becca's thoughts  

Okay, okay, okay. Let me just calm myself down, take a few deep breaths and collect my thoughts. Actually, no, let's not, BECAUSE BEAUTIFUL OBLIVION BY JAMIE MCGUIRE WAS SO DAMN GOOD I FEEL LIKE CLIMBING ONTO MY ROOF AND SCREAMING ABOUT IT. AS LOUDLY AND AS CLEARLY AS FREAKING POSSIBLE. 

I apologise for the excessive use of upper-case letters there, readers, but right now I'm just too excited. I would just like to say a massive thank you to the publishers Simon and Schuster UK for accepting me for a copy of Beautiful Oblivion via Net Galley. I wasn't expecting to be accepted to tell you the truth, and then I was, and then I went mental, and yeah... So thank you! And of course, major round of applause to the oh-so-brilliant author Jamie McGuire for yet again catapulting me into the intoxicating, sexy world of a Maddox boy. Nothing can beat that feeling. Nothing. 

In Beautiful Oblivion, we meet Camille Camlin. Young, independent woman, standing on her own two feet whilst holding down a job behind the bar at The Red Door, paying for her own apartment which she shares with her best friend Raegan and driving her own car to wherever it is that she needs to be. I instantly took a liking to Cami's character. I loved her determination, her independence, her friendship with Reagan and also the fact that she had four older brothers. She was smart, at times fierce and always ahead of her game. Cami had a difficult and troublesome past, coming from a rough home-life with an abusive father, hence why she left home just after finishing her freshman year and spread her wings. She was a brilliant addition to McGuire's characters and the kind of young woman that you can't help but admire. She was easily likeable and a great person for Trenton to collide with. 

Also in Beautiful Oblivion, we get the pleasure of meeting the undeniably sexy, confident Trenton Maddox, and boy have I been waiting a long time to meet this guy. Trenton was off the chain, although I have to admit that Travis from the Disaster series is still my number one, and my breath caught in my throat each and every time Trenton made an appearance. Trenton, just like Travis, had that swaggery confidence that held me captive, that smirk and arrogance that I hated but oh-so-dearly loved. It was that feeling of wanting to punch but kiss, of wanting to slap but take to bed and ravage. Urgh, I was thrown right back into the emotional mess that I was in when I was reading the Disaster series, and readers? I freaking loved it. Trenton was everything that I hoped for. Cocky, always got his own way but still had that angry/sexy protectiveness over anything that he claimed as his. There is nothing, I repeat NOTHING, like seeing a ruthless bad-boy fall head over heels in love. A million women want to tame Trenton and be the one to make him settle down. Unfortunately for them, a Maddox boy may take women to bed, but they only fall in love once, and it takes more than an easy lay to get their attention. Trenton was everything that I was hoping for, and then some. 

As can clearly be seen in McGuire's previous novels, she is a BEAST when it comes to that fizzing, popping chemistry between her characters, and Beautiful Oblivion did not disappoint in that department at all. That intense feeling of want and need, the fierce passion, the sexual tension, the looks, the sly touches, EVERYTHING was just perfect. I couldn't get enough. Trenton and Cami were brilliant with each other and I was gripping my Kindle so damn hard whenever they were alone. It was intoxicating, I was pulled into the scenes and I was egging the characters on. I couldn't cope with the waiting. I was holding my breath, running my hands through my hair and biting my lip. Seriously, it was driving me crazy. McGuire does these scenes so incredibly well she makes me want to scream with impatience! Every touch, every look, every word, perfectly designed and placed to make me shiver. I devoured everything that McGuire offered. What made it have even more of an effect on me was the fact that Cami was actually in a relationship, so of course she spent a lot of her time holding back. You know when that happens? And you're sat there silently screaming, "Just do it!" But obviously the characters can't hear you so you're left feeling out of control? Yep. Seriously readers, McGuire has got this whole thing down to a fine art. THIS WAS INCREDIBLE. 

The plot in Beautiful Oblivion had everything that a plot should have. Drama, passion, a little bit of everyday life, a blow up, shouting matches... It was more than enough to keep my eyes eating up the pages at a rapid speed. I read the entire novel within 24 hours and I didn't regret it at all. It was exciting, it had my blood pumping, it held me captive, and the characters were holding my heart in their hands. I was completely taken by McGuire's words and dramas, the passion held me captive and I felt like screaming into my Kindle at some parts. It had my emotions running wild and doing whatever they felt like doing with or without my consent. I honestly had no control over myself whilst reading and it was such an incredible feeling. As the plot progresses, you are invited to watch Cami and Trenton's relationship thicken. You get to see what happens with Cami's boyfriend and how her life begins to take an unexpected turn. It was all-consuming and my mind was constantly on their story. 

Another thing that made me grin insanely was when Travis was mentioned. Oh my life, it was awesome. I've missed Travis so much, and the Disaster series is on my list of books that I'm dying to re-read, but when McGuire would include him in the story, I just couldn't help but smile. Travis would hop up on the bar, and he'd talk about Abby and it was just SO FREAKING CUTE. My heart jumped each and every time. It was fantastic, and I couldn't get enough. I adored how McGuire stayed within Cami and Trenton's own story but she still managed to incorporate scenes that you first read about from the Disaster series. I'm hyperventilating just thinking about it. I want to re-read already. The Maddox world is so delicious and over-powering. I manage to completely lose myself to it and the characters each and every time. 
    
Overall, ladies and gentleman (if any gentleman out there enjoying visiting a blog full of cupcakes and polkadots), Beautiful Oblivion is one of those incredible novels that you really don't want to miss. Even if you haven't read the Disaster series, you can still read this and enjoy it just as much as I did. It was AMAZING. The characters, the plot, the secrets and dramas, the passion, the hotness, it was everything that I hoped it would be. Twists and turns, bumpy rides and the most INSANE moments that take your breath away. It was incredible, and I would gladly re-read it again and again and again. I will never tire of the Maddox boys and their ridiculously sexy ways. I loved Trenton and Cami. I loved their story. I loved EVERY SINGLE LITTLE THING ABOUT THIS BOOK!!!

Becca's Books is giving Jamie McGuire's Beautiful Oblivion a rating of FIVE CUPCAKES. I was completely taken with it, it turned me inside out and I always hate having to turn the last page when reading a book by McGuire, because I just can't bear to be released back to reality. Incredible. Well done Jamie, you know just how to blow my mind, every single time. 










1 comment :

  1. Oh, I discovered Beautiful Disaster earlier this year, and have yet to read the others but I loved it so much. I'm glad there's more books to read!

    ReplyDelete