Love Like the Movies by Victoria Van Tiem

There is something so innocent and sweet about romantic movies. The world doesn't always make sense, but in a good romantic comedy, I'm guaranteed a happily ever after. 


Title - Love Like the Movies
Publisher - Pan Macmillan
Publication Date - February 24th 2014
Format - Paperback (Provided by publisher) 
Pages - 288

The blurb

Kenzie Shaw knows the plot of her life down to the last line - the career she's building as an up-and-coming marketing exec, the gorgeous fiancé (Bradley) she'll marry in a fairytale wedding, the children they'll raise in her dream home. But when heart-breaking ex Shane comes back into her life, life starts going off script...

Shane tries to win Kenzi over by re-enacting all the rom-com movies they used to watch together - Sleepless in Seattle, Bridget Jones's Diary, Pretty Woman and Dirty Dancing to name a few. He's just a guy, standing in front of a girl, asking her to trust him again. But has he really changed? Not only is her head in a spin over Shane, but now her job is on the line. And with her perfect sister-in-law showing up every tiny thing Kenzi does wrong, she feels like she's permanently in the corner. 

Should she risk her sensible life for the chance of a Happy Ever After? One thing's certain, when Shane meets Kenzi (again), she's suddenly not so sure who her leading man is... 

Perfect for fans of From Notting Hill with Love... Actually and You Had Me at Hello. Grab some popcorn, hit the sofa and enjoy this feel-good and very funny novel. 

Becca's thoughts

Thank you to the fabulous publishers Pan for sending me a gorgeous copy of Love Like the Movies by Victoria Van Tiem in the post. I was overjoyed when I opened up the parcel and this slipped out. One look at that stunning cover and I just knew that I was going to bloody love it! So, thank you Pan, you spoil me rotten!

I LOVE rom-com movies. Absolutely love them. Pretty Woman is one of my all-time favourites, alongside Ten Things I Hate About You, You've Got Mail, and all those classic movies that as females we just can't get enough of. And so when I read the blurb of Victoria's novel, and spotted those films being mentioned, I was instantly interested. There is nothing more satisfying than seeing the girl get the guy, or the marriage going ahead, or the two people who are complete opposites of each other finally falling in love. Those films make us swoon, and smile, and cry, because deep down, that's kinda' what we all want, isn't it? That perfect Happy Ever After? Well, let me introduce you to Kenzi Shaw...

Like us, Kenzi Shaw wants that perfect Happy Ever After. She adores rom-coms, and that all-consuming love that can completely take over a person. She's always said that she wants love, but it has to be "love like the movies." And who can blame her really? Love in the movies is just so incredible, am I right? Kenzi pretty much has a perfect life when Victoria introduces us to her. She's a marketing exec, making her way, rung by rung, up the career ladder, and her fiancĂ© Bradley is a dishy catch, no less. It's fitting then, that Kenzi is soon to be married to the man of her dreams, right? Back at Kenzi's parents house are Kenzi's mum and dad, her brother, and his wife, who I really couldn't stand, Ren. I loved the bitchy tenseness between Kenzi and Ren, one of those typical sister-in-law battles that are sometimes found in rom-com movies. Point-scoring and Ren making Kenzi feel like nothing she does is good enough really ground my gears. I cannot stand people like that, and Victoria got Ren's character down to a tee in that department. So many times I wanted to drag Kenzi into my arms and squeeze, because from personal experience, I know it can be downright annoying. Rather than having her own engagement to celebrate Kenzi and Bradley's news, Kenzi's mum incorporates some good news of Ren's into the party too. Anything Kenzi can do, Ren can do it it better, and DAMN, it drove me insane! Overall, Kenzi's life makes sense for the time being. That is of course until one of her ex's pops up into the picture... 

Shane was a bit of a heartthrob, let's be honest ladies. I mean, a man who wants to re-enact all of the famous scenes with you, from these incredible movies is bound to get your heart and emotions all tangled up, isn't he? He's not just a heartthrob though; Shane and Kenzi have history, of the best kind. A love that she could never shake off. So now he's back, all those old feelings begin to bubble to the surface once more. One thing that I adored about Shane was how well he knew Kenzi. Although they had been apart for quite some time, it was like he knew her inside out. All of her likes and dislikes, and of course her favourite movies and the lines, that they once watched together, side by side. With a history so warm and unforgettable, Kenzi cannot stop herself from viewing the re-enacting of the movie scenes as something more than helping Shane's newest business venture. 

As well as the brilliant characters, the author Victoria created such a damn romantic story! I have to say, adding in all of my favourite scenes from Pretty Woman pretty much made Love Like the Movies an instant winner with me. It was just so clever and I believe that I was CONSTANTLY grinning and swooning and wishing I could be in Kenzi's shoes, especially during the shopping scene! ;) It was so BEAUTIFUL! I loved waiting for the different scenes to be acted out, and Shane's creativity just blew my mind. It made me feel all a-flutter and afterwards, I wanted to have a movie marathon and watch all of the films that were mentioned within the pages. Victoria, it was incredible.  

Love Like the Movies is certainly a feel-good read, or should I say a "feel-incredible" read. It had everything that a fabulous girly chick-lit should have; the romance, the dilemmas, the gorgeous male! If Victoria Van Tiem had the chance to make her book into a movie, I just know that it would be one of those films that I would watch over and over again. It had such a fantastic atmosphere about it, and Kenzi was incredibly easy to relate to. I feel like I've known her all my life! I couldn't wait to see how her ending played out, and whether it would be that much-desired Happy Ever After that she had dreamed of for so long...

Becca's Books is rating Love Like the Movies by Victoria Van Tiem with five delicious cupcakes! One of those books that you continue to love endlessly, long after saying goodbye. Unique and lovable, I'll be recommending this one to all of my romance and rom-com loving friends!


***









2 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a brilliant review! There's nothing we all need more right now than a 'feel-incredible' read...This one is on my list!

    ReplyDelete