Not Quite Perfect by Annie Lyons

Life doesn't always turn out how you expect.


Title - Not Quite Perfect
Author - Annie Lyons
Publisher - Carina UK
Publication Date - July 18th 2014
Format - Paperback 
Pages - 384

The blurb

Sometimes having it all isn't enough...

Emma has everything she's ever wanted. Her boyfriend's just proposed and her career has finally taken off. And so what if her latest client just happens to be downright gorgeous? She's getting married. Isn't she? 

Rachel's married with 2.4 children (well, actually, 3) and life is all about trying to leave the house in a non-stained top. Once it was about skinny cappuccinos, cocktails and dynamic ad agency meetings. She wants her old life back, but can it ever be the same? 

Becca's thoughts

I suppose it would be fitting if I were to say, "This novel was #NotQuitePerfect..." but if I were to say that then I would lying, because this novel was perfect in every sense of the word. Annie has created the most gorgeous 384 pages, full of family drama, two sister's with very different lives and a countless number of problems that crop up along the way, rocking Emma and Rachel's boats very firmly from side to side. It was chaotic, charming and incredibly moving. Most definitely one of my favourite reads of 2014, without a doubt.

Rachel and Emma are the leading ladies in Annie Lyon's Not Quite Perfect, and what a brilliant pair of women they are. Right from the get go, I loved the both of them, despite the very different lives that they so obviously led. Annie chose to split the narrative between the sisters, so you get to see a glimpse of life from both sides, which really highlighted the contrasts between them. 

Emma is the working girl with a job in a publishing house, whereas Rachel is a stay-at-home-mum with three children who she loves dearly but who drive her completely up the wall. Annie did a fantastic job of putting across Rachel's chaotic mornings and Emma's own personal dilemma that crops up within the story and it was just such a bloody pleasure to read. The women, both with their own problems, were just incredibly easy to love and understand, and at times I wanted to throw my arms around them and SQUEEZE! 

Annie really brings their lives to life within the novel. Every up, every down, and everything in-between. It felt like I was right there with them both, living through the tough times with them, as well as the good times. I felt, strangely, like I was involved in their decision making too, and I was shaking the book in frustration as well as clapping with glee. It was a roller-coaster of a read, and it made me want to gather my sisters around me and tell each one of them that I love them to pieces! 

Not Quite Perfect spoke right to my heart. Not only does the story focus on Rachel and Emma, but Annie involves their entire family too. It was warm, it was homely and it was just such a superbly put-together story, I would happily read it again and again and again! 

Annie, Becca's Books is giving your fabulous novel Not Quite Perfect a twinkling rating of five cupcakes! I loved everything about this book, EVERYTHING!!!


***









Post a Comment