One Hundred Proposals by Holly Martin


Was there really such a thing as a perfect proposal? 


Title - One Hundred Proposals
Author - Holly Martin 
Publication Date - June 25th 2014 
Publisher - Carina UK 
Format - eBook 

The blurb

'Is there really such a thing as a perfect proposal?
Over the next hundred days I intend to find out. I will find one hundred ways to propose to our Chief Proposer Suzie McKenzie and post the results here for your enjoyment. One thing's for sure, not one of my proposals will be on top of the Eiffel Tower with a dozen red roses.'

Best friends Suzie and Harry are partners in romance. That is, they run the.PerfectProposal.com, coming to the aid of would-be grooms to create the ultimate marriage proposal. 

But when Harry decides to catapult the business into the big leagues with a PR stunt all Suzie can see is a hundred days of heartbreak stretching ahead of her. But however exotic the location, or breath-takingly romantic the setting, Suzie has to keep remembering that 'Marry Me?' is the one question she can't say yes to. 

This business proposal should come with one hundred broken heart warnings... 

One hundred proposals, one hundred chances to say yes.

Becca's thoughts

As I sit here with my cup of coffee, I have to admit that I'm still struggling to piece together the words that are bouncing around in my head; clearly the after-effects of reading a Holly Martin creation. I mean, I just.. I can't even.. And I... Urgh, it's hopeless. 

When I sit back and really think about it, it makes me feel a little breathless, like the thought of something that damn romantic happening in real life? I don't think I could cope. I think I would crumble to the floor and sob my heart out, which is basically what I did last night once I had finished the last page, although it was more along the lines of crumbling into my pillow and sobbing into that instead. Holly strings together her words like beads onto a necklace; gently and smoothly, leaving you with an end result of something so indescribably beautiful and perfect, it's hard to look away or not pay attention. The scenarios that Holly creates are finely tuned to affect hopeless romantics in the most moving and emotional way, including myself, which is why I'm still sitting here wondering how Holly has written something so beyond the boundaries of perfect that I JUST CAN'T FIND THE WORDS! 

As soon as I turned the first page and began reading, I instantly knew that I would love it. I've read Holly's previous titles The Guestbook & The Sentinel and I just have to say, she is one INCREDIBLE writer, whose style and plots are so magnificently written and slotted together it seems like her novels are pieces of magic, everything a reader could wish for. One Hundred Proposals took magic to a whole new level, leaving me with a feeling deep in my chest that I couldn't even find a word to define. I was and still am in complete awe of her. Well and truly. 

One Hundred Proposals begins at a brilliant moment, and that's during one of my absolute favourite proposals in the story. From reading the blurb, you've probably got an idea of what happens. Suzie and Harry, who are inseparable best-friends, work together at the.Perfect.Proposal.com and under the eyes of their blog followers, they try and search for what could be described as the perfect proposal. One Hundred Proposals opens to a setting of a mystical, dark cave in Australia, where fireflies are known to dwell. What happens next is so romantically out of this world I was already in tears and I wasn't even three pages in. Holly then continues to inform the reader of what it's all about; why Suzie and Harry are there, and also about what Harry is planning to do - provide Suzie with the perfect proposal. But of course it's all for the blog followers, right? After that, Holly takes us back in time, to three months before that moment in the firefly cave, and it begins. This beautiful, enchanting story of two friends travelling the world together with a little more than friendship between them. Honestly, readers. It was incredible, absolutely amazing, and if you plan to read anything before the next couple are months are out, you should most definitely make it One Hundred Proposals by Holly Martin. It's one of those books that has the power to stay with you for a lifetime, and trust me, it totally, totally will.

One thing that I've noticed about Holly's previous titles, as well as this one, is that her characters are just so true to life and are all so, so lovable. You feel like you've know them for years because they have that much depth to them. It's actually difficult to believe that they're fictional once you're finished, and I did struggle to come to terms with the fact that I had to say goodbye to them. In One Hundred Proposals, it was the exact same experience. I cried and cried and cried, not only because the story itself was phenomenal, but because I just didn't want to say goodbye to Suzie and Harry. I wanted to keep on living in their world alongside them both, and seeing where they ended up next and what they got up to. Suzie was just so freaking cute! There were so many moments where I lay there, giggling to myself and trying not to wake my other half, because not only does Holly hit the nail on the head when it comes to romance, but she also does the same when it comes to humor too. Suzie was hilarious, and some of the things that she came out with were so bloody funny, I couldn't help but snort. I felt like she was a little bit dorky but in that overwhelmingly endearing kind of way, that way that makes you grin stupidly. I loved her, she was brilliant and funny and such a fabulous person to choose as Harry's partner. Holly couldn't have got it more spot on! 

And Harry? Oh, bloody hell. Please, don't get me started on Harry. You know that lovely word, "romance"? Well, Harry is that word. Harry is EVERYTHING to do with romance. All things romance, Harry is them. If you look up the word romance in the dictionary, you will see Harry's name (Okay, well, you won't actually see his name, but you know...). He was handsome, a flirt, cheeky, sweet, affectionate, smart, heroic, funny, genuine, and just all those words that describe a hot as hell male. But then below the surface, Harry was a little troubled, shy, not too keen on the idea of throwing his heart out there into the big, wide world... And that just made me love him even more. I wanted to know about his past, almost as much as Suzie did, and Holly did a fantastic job of keeping it hidden right up until that 'perfect' moment came. Thinking about it now, The Hundred Proposals is full of perfect moments. It's a book of perfection. Moving back to the dictionary thing, if you look up perfection, you'll see an image of this book (again, you probably won't, but just pretend that you can). Harry made me smile so much, my cheeks were aching the majority of the way through. There were moments when I wanted to have a word with him about that f****** Samantha, because she really ground my gears! Bloody woman! But besides that, he was out of this world, and I think every girl deserves and should have their own Harry in their life. Somebody like that, who would move the earth and stars for you, is exactly what every female should be given, to make them feel beautiful and wanted. Holly's characters were sensational, taking her story so close to the edge of fiction, it practically felt real to me. You will love everything about Harry and Suzie, you'll want to be their best friend by the end of it. 

I'm still not finished. 

Hidden deep within the romance and the laughter and over-powering sense of emotion, there was also the aspect of travel. I love this. I love reading about travel in books. That can probably be put down to me not actually ever travelling anywhere myself, so when an author creates an incredible journey for me to be taken on, it's like I'm seeing everything right beside the characters. The travel in One Hundred Proposals was absolutely fascinating. I felt like whipping out my camera and catching some pics. Seriously though, the amount of detail put into each and every setting that Harry and Suzie visited was just unparalleled. They traveled all over the world and I loved it. It thrilled and excited me. From the Galapagos Islands to Mexico, and from San Francisco to Australia, there were so many beautiful, exotic places involved in Suzie and Harry's journey and I felt honored to be a part it all. Not only did Holly include some of the most gorgeous locations in the world, but her attention to detail made all the difference and I fell in love with each and every setting over and over again. From the palm trees to the sparkling blue waters, Holly didn't overlook a single thing and I felt like I was in paradise. I could feel the heat from the sun on my skin, I could just feel the sea frothing over my toes and I felt like booking a one way ticket to visit the locations that Harry and Suzie touched down in. It was just pure, pure escapism at it's very best and I couldn't pull my eyes away. Not once. I want to go on holiday and experience everything that these two characters did, all for my myself. 

Still not finished. 

There are just so many delightful aspects to touch upon within One Hundred Proposals, so I think I'll be a while. I do hope you're still reading and I haven't bored you to death, if so, sorry! Something else that I LOVED LOVED LOVED was the fact that Holly included the whole blogging scene. It was brilliant, and again, brought the story to life once more. I also spotted a few familiar names in the comments section, haha, GO GIRLS! Really though, the way Harry and Suzie's blog reached out to the world and got the public involved made me grin from ear to ear, and then the secret blog? KSGHLVTNO! Nope, sorry, can't tell you, it's a secret. But just trust me. KSHWHTVVWPHTN! 

I feel like I've been holding my breath since I finished reading this incredible story and only now, after finally putting my thoughts and feelings out there, do I feel like I can breathe again. Readers, this is one of those special books that only crop up in life now and again. One of those books that contain the power to move you in phenomenal ways and blow your bloody mind. A book that will fire up your belief in romance once more, and make you yearn for your very own Harry to fly around the world with, and have him propose to you in a hundred different ways. I'm still sitting here in awe, shaking my head in fascination at how the words in this book have made me feel inside. I feel happy, for starters. I feel like Holly has just written a book that is going to be read and loved by millions and I'm so excited for her. I feel like I need to scream about this book in everyone's face. I feel like dancing with my Kindle and kissing it because it's made me feel so so happy about life and love and taking chances. Like I said earlier, if you choose to read one book sometime soon, then do not hesitate in choosing this one. You'll never be the same again. 

Holly, I think you already know how many cupcakes I'm going to be rating One Hundred Proposals with. Readers, I think you know, too. 


For a book that kept me up well into the early hours of the morning, for two characters that I've never prayed so hard for in my life, for an author who can make me splutter with tears only three pages into her book, and for the readers out there who no longer believe or have faith in romance. THIS is incredible. YOU need to read it, and I'M off to cry some more about how damn beautiful it is. 

5 cupcakes from me for the tremendous One Hundred Proposals by Holly Martin. 



***

~ Holly's Bio ~

Holly has been writing for five years, mainly chick-lit novels. Changing Casanova and The Chainsaw Masquerade were shortlisted for the Festival of Romance New Talent Award 2012. Her short story won the Belinda Jones Travel Cub short story competition last year and was published in the first Sunlounger anthology. Her fantasy adventure young-adult book, The Sentinel, was published in October and hit three different bestsellers lists within twenty four hours. She won the Carina Valentine's competition at the Festival of Romance 2013 and her novel The Guestbook was released on Valentine's Day 2014. Her short story Beneath The Bay Bridge is in this year's Sunlounger 2 anthology.

Holly on Twitter | Facebook | Wordpress 


   

      






2 comments :

  1. A fab review i may read now i love your blog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so much, Amanda! That put a huge smile on my face this morning! :) xxx

      Delete