Season to Taste by Natalie Young

Always let the meat rest under foil for at least ten minutes before carving... 


Title - Season to Taste or How to Eat Your Husband
Author - Natalie Young
Publisher - Tinder Press
Publication Date - July 3rd 2014
Format - Paperback
Pages - 276
(Copy provided by Bookbridgr)

The blurb

Meet Lizzie Prain. Ordinary housewife. 
Likes cooking, avoids the neighbours. 
Runs a little business making cakes. 

No one has seen Lizzie's husband, Jacob, for a few days. That's because last Monday, on impulse, Lizzie caved in the back of his head with a spade. Now she needs to dispose of his body, and her method is not for the faint-hearted. 

Becca's thoughts

Firstly, a massive thank you to Ben Willis from Bookbridgr for sending me a copy of Season to Taste in the post after I requested it. I'm going to take a moment to admit to the fact that when this book first caught my attention on Twitter, I wasn't quite sure whether people were being serious about it or not. I have never read a book about a woman eating her husband before, therefore I wasn't too sure whether it was actually based around that, or something else entirely. Apparently, that was exactly what Season to Taste was about and I'm not ashamed to admit that I was very interested to see what it was all about. 

I feel a little shaky about writing this review. I think that's mainly due to the fact that the subject of Season to Taste is a very strange, "forbidden" one, if you like. I was worried about people thinking that maybe I was a weirdo because I enjoyed reading the book, but afterwards I realised that was stupid. It's only fiction. I think that maybe a few people will be scared to admit that they enjoyed reading it, and there will also be people who just couldn't get past the first few pages, and I do not blame them at all. 

Throughout reading Season to Taste, I went through a roller-coaster of emotions. There was disbelief, shock, horror, disgust, fascination, bewilderment, the need to gag, the need to look away, the need to hurl the book at the wall because I just couldn't cope with what was happening. Time and time again I found myself wondering what on earth I was reading, and whether it made me a bad person because I was just so intrigued! It's definitely not the kind of book that falls into my typical genre. In fact, it's so far away from my typical genre I don't even know why I requested it, but I finished this book in a matter of hours, because it's just SO crazy and strange, and I was dying to see what happened in the end. 

When it says on the blurb, "... and her method is not for the faint-hearted" it is not lying to you. It is most definitely not for the faint-hearted. It is vile and detailed, yet Natalie Young writes with such a down-to-earth vibe that she makes it seem almost normal. Which it's NOT, obviously. It's insane. I'm looking back now and wondering how I managed to read it all so quickly, but it drags you in, and it's almost impossible to look away. She cooks him, readers. Bit by bit, Lizzie Prain cooks her husbands body. That's right. His hands. His legs. His elbows. And then she eats it. Forces part by rancid part into her mouth to dispose of the evidence. I completely lost my appetite. I had to keep swallowing because the saliva in my mouth had dried up to my mouth hanging open in horror. My stomach was turning. My eyes couldn't quite believe what the hell they were reading, and I still don't think I can fully believe it now, either. 

Within the plot itself, Lizzie writes little numbered notes about her progress. I got the feeling that these were mainly to herself, trying to keep herself sane, but then they also sounded like directions, as if Lizzie was directing any other housewife's out there just in case they too felt like cooking their husbands. As much as it was horrifying, there was definitely dark humor in here. It was clear Lizzie had lost her mind. She was an absolute freaking nut-case but she just seemed so SANE as she went about her business. It was absolutely CRAZY. As the plot progressed, Natalie provided little tidbits of information about Lizzie's and Jacob's marriage. Their life before. Their history. Readers, it just seemed so surreal. 

I hate to say it (but I kinda' don't) that this is book that I think you should read just for it's sheer gruesomeness. I don't know if there are already books like this out there, but this is the first one of it's kind that I have read and I know for a fact that it will stay with me for a very, very long time. It's shocking, disturbing, and completely outrageous, and I'm sure it will get a lot of mouths talking. 

Natalie Young, you've created something that I don't think I could forget. I'm definitely going to be telling people about Season to Taste, just to see the look of horror on their faces. I can guarantee that they won't believe me when I tell them what it's about. Five cupcakes from me. Without a doubt.


***






1 comment :

  1. Ugh! xD I remember reading the blurb for this and I just didn't know what to think. I feel like I should read it now aha.

    ReplyDelete