The List by Joanna Bolouri

I never thought that one little list would turn my entire life upside down.


Title - The List
Author - Joanna Bolouri 
Publisher - Quercus
Publication Date - April 10th 2014
Format - Paperback (Provided via publisher)
Pages - 400

The blurb

Phoebe Henderson may be single but she sure doesn't feel fabulous.It's been a year since she found her boyfriend Alex in bed with another woman, and multiple cases of wine and extensive relationship analysis with best friend Lucy have done nothing to help. Faced with a new year but no new love, Phoebe concocts a different kind of resolution. 

The List: Ten things she's always wanted to do in bed but has never had the chance (or the courage!) to try. A bucket list for between the sheets. One year of pleasure, no strings attached. Simple, right? 

Factor in meddlesome colleagues, friends with benefits, getting frisky al fresco and maybe, possibly, true love and Phoebe's got her work cut out for her. 

Becca's thoughts

Firstly, a massive thank you to the fabulous Lauren from Quercus for sending me a gorgeous copy of The List in the post! Such an eye-catching cover, and I won't lie, I stroked it. Multiple times. Ahem. And of course, an even bigger thank you to the absolutely hilarious author Joanna Bolouri for providing me with a book which I can now happily and honestly class as one of my all-time favourites. From back to front, I laughed, and came close to wetting myself on more than one occasion. 

The List is written in the form of a diary (which I LOVE!), spanning out over the length of a year, and belonging to the brilliant Miss Phoebe Henderson, after being suggested to her by her therapist, as a way to let Phoebe's pent-up thoughts and emotions loose. Have you ever wanted to have sex with a complete stranger? Have you ever wondered what it would be like to try sex, but using the back-door rather than the front? And have you EVER wanted to get dressed up and enjoy a bit of role-play? Yes, you say? Well, I think you and Phoebe Henderson may have a few things in common. The List takes you along on Phoebe's journey of sexual-discovery, and I think, self-discovery too. Not only is she moving forward into her future, but she's also letting go of her past, and of a man who definitely does not deserve or appreciate her as much as he should. 

Throughout the four hundred pages, not once did I feel like I was getting bored, not once did I roll my eyes at the story-line, and not once did I put the book down willingly. I was constantly entertained, and even when something major wasn't happening in the plot, I was then looking forward to Phoebe's next sexual challenge, or date, or a party, or just ANYTHING that was coming up in her life. Joanna gifted Phoebe with such a strong, believable character, that I genuinely felt like I knew her in real life. Being invited to read through her diary was just brilliant, there's something so personal and sneaky about it, and it add heaps to the enjoyability scale in my eyes. 

Besides Phoebe, there are just TONS of characters for you to get to know. First and foremost is the absolutely charming Oliver, Phoebe's best-friend. I began to develop a major crush for this guy as I carried on with the story, despite him being a complete ladies man. Phoebe and Oliver's relationship was one to be envied. They joked, insulted each other, laughed, hung out, and their closeness was evident. Oliver looks out for Phoebe, and also detests her ex Alex. At the beginning of the novel, Phoebe is still pretty messed up from Alex's actions, and Oliver helps to put her back together, not only with companionship, but with agreeing to a little something else, too. Oliver was brilliant. A one-of-a-kind type of guy who I think really made the novel what it was. 

There's also Lucy, Phoebe's female best-friend, who provides the wine and stupid ideas, but makes Phoebe smile constantly. Again, the relationship between Phoebe and Lucy was gorgeous, they confided in each other, helped each other out and emailed each other during work. I genuinely looked forward to whenever Phoebe and Lucy got together, their chit-chat never failing to make me giggle and want to spend time with my own best-friend. Lucy was lovely! She also added in the great aspect of failing dates to the story, which Phoebe also experiences by the way, and I was sitting there hoping that she's find her Prince Charming sooner rather than later. I was completely pulled into Phoebe's whole life, experiencing her boring days at work, the excitement of the upcoming challenges, and drinks with the ladies which would no doubt involve in an interesting topic of conversation. 

Everything about The List drew me in, from the characters to the sexual challenges, I was hooked! Joanna unearths the truth about experimenting and trying out new things to do with the bedroom. Seeing Phoebe taking on the challenges was brilliant, and with a sense of humour like hers, it made for comical reading. Outrageous at times, but addictive the entire way through, The List by Joanna Bolouri is a MUST-READ, through and through. Joanna, five cupcakes from me! ;)


***



  

Post a Comment