You're the One That I Want by Giovanna Fletcher

If only falling out of love was as easy as falling in it.


Title - You're the One That I Want
Author - Giovanna Fletcher
Publisher - Penguin 
Publication Date - May 22nd 2014
Format - Paperback (Self-purchased)
Pages - 372

The blurb

Maddy, dressed in white, stands at the back of the church. At the end of the aisle is Rob - the man she's about to marry. Next to Rob is Ben - best man and the best friend any two people ever had. 

And that's the problem. 

Because if it wasn't Rob waiting for her at the altar, there's a strong chance it would be Ben. Loyal and sensitive Ben has always kept his feelings to himself, but if he turned round and told Maddy she was making a mistake, would she listen? And would he be right? 

Best friends since childhood, Maddy, Ben and Rob thought their bond was unbreakable. But love changes everything. Maddy has a choice to make but will she choose wisely? Her heart, and the hearts of the two best men she knows, depend on it...

Becca's thoughts

I think this is going to be the first time in absolutely ages where I don't begin my review by thanking the publishers for my review copy. As much as I love them, there is nothing that can satisfy me quite like the purchasing of a new book. The feel of it in your hands, the smoothness of the cover that's brand-spanking new. Of course, if you're a book-lover like me, you'll understand what I'm talking about. 

This book is ridiculously sweet. And I mean, ridiculously RIDICULOUSLY sweet. After starting off the book by having Maddy stand at the end of the aisle and make her way down towards Robert, Giovanna takes us right back in time to the very first day that Maddy, Ben and Robert met, during school. There's an instant connection between the three of them, and with them all being so young and innocent, it really made me feel that wonderful freedom of being a child once more. There was no worrying about what others would think, it was just pure fresh friendship, only just beginning, and I loved it. I think experiencing their friendship blossoming from that far back in time really grabs you and gets you involved with their story. I felt like I knew them all incredibly well, and by the end of the book, it was as if I had lived the entire story right beside them. 

Giovanna chose to set out the story in an entertaining and interesting way. Not only does she start off the story in the present day at Maddy and Robert's wedding, but she goes back time. And every now and again, there's a small section of Robert's wedding speech added in there, which I guess kinda' separated the different parts of the book. It also allowed us to have a small glimpse into Robert's point of view too, because you only really get to read from Maddy's and Ben's point of view during the actual book. The story progresses by age, so at the beginning of each chapter, Giovanna lets you know how old Ben and Maddy are before you continue to read. I loved all these little aspects of the book. Giovanna added so much personality to her characters, and to the story itself. It just seemed so believable and I couldn't help but to get sucked in. I cared deeply for the characters and was genuinely concerned about where the story was going to take them all. At times it was beautiful, at others it was heart-breaking, and I can only really describe the remainder as being bitter-sweet. Gorgeous but equally painful.

I raced through this book because I couldn't wait to see what happened at the end. Giovanna hooks you in right from the start, and I'm a sucker for books that begin with a wedding, so I loved it instantly. And of course, an unsure bride makes for an interesting read, does it not? I adored being able to follow Maddy, Ben and Robert through the major parts of their lives, from heading off to university to moving out and living in their own places. It was wonderful watching the transition from childhood to teenhood to adulthood. Giovanna really nailed the whole thing, and I couldn't believe how sucked in I felt. I became a little bit devoted to the characters, and was clutching the book insanely during some parts. It's a real up-and-down read that really gets your emotions all tangled up. It was absolutely BRILLIANT.

To me, this was like stepping back in time to when I was a little girl. Remembering my school days and then of course being a teenager, and those first little sparks of attraction. It was exciting and passionate and just such a joy to read. It gets right underneath your skin and scratches at your ribcage, and of course, inevitably, it gets to the very centre of your heart. When I finished the book, I turned it over in my hands, looked down at it, and realised that I was leaving the characters behind. It was a sad moment, but once you reach it, you'll take a deep breath and smile, because I honestly felt like I had lived another life. 

This book is perfect for chick-lit lovers, romance readers and all the other readers in-between. It will reach out, grab you, and pull you into the pages, allowing you to become completely and utterly involved in the story that takes place between the pages. Beautiful, moving and devastatingly bitter-sweet. A love triangle that will wrap you up and squeeze you extra-extra-tight. I loved it. Adored it. And I would recommend You're the One That I Want by Giovanna Fletcher to absolutely everybody. 

Becca's Books is giving this fabulously written story five gorgeous cupcakes. I think Giovanna has achieved the telling of this tale perfectly. I wanted to continue reading about the characters after I closed the book, and I sat there for ages trying to imagine how the story would have continued. Major congratulations to Giovanna Fletcher for this amazing story. Just BEAUTIFUL.  


***












Post a Comment