Maybe This Christmas by Sarah Morgan

"Isn't that what love really is? Loving someone as they are. If you want someone to be different, how can that be love?" 


Title - Maybe This Christmas
Author - Sarah Morgan
Publisher - Harlequin UK
Publication Date - 3rd October 2014 (UK)
28th October 2014 (US)
Format - eBook (Provided via NetGalley)

The blurb

This winter, ex-skiing champion, reformed heartbreaker and single dad Tyler O'Neil has only one mission - making sure his daughter Jess has the best Christmas ever. That fact that his best friend, Brenna, is also temporarily moving into his chalet at the overbooked Snow Crystal resort is a delicious distraction he's simply going to have to ignore. Theirs is the one relationship he's never ruined, and he's not about to start now. 

Ski pro Brenna Daniels knows all about the perils of unrequited love - she's been in love with Tyler for years. But living with him is absolute torture... how can she concentrate on being his friend when he's sleeping in the room next door? Then when Tyler kisses Brenna, suddenly the relationship she's always dreamed of feels so close she could almost touch it. Could this be the Christmas her dreams of a happy-ever-after finally come true? 

Becca's thoughts

Okay, firstly, this absolute BEAUTY  is completely and utterly swoon-worthy. If you're a fan of gorgeous romance, hot-headed heroes and chemistry riding so high that you feel like you're going to drown in it, then Maybe This Christmas by the incredible Sarah Morgan is THE ONE.

I'd like to say a huge thank you to the publishers Harlequin UK for accepting me for a digital copy of Maybe This Christmas via NetGalley. I was so excited when I read the email informing me that Maybe This Christmas was waiting for me on my NetGalley shelf, and I genuinely could not wait to dig in. For starters, Sarah's cover is a complete masterpiece, and if you know me, then you know how hard I fall for eye-catching covers such as this one. *Raises hand guiltily*Yep, I am a complete cover fiend, but I just can't help it. Sarah's cover for Maybe This Christmas transported me right into the story within. The snow, the lodge, the Christmas trees? How the hell could I refuse? I guess the fact that I am a terrible Christmas fanatic also played a small part in my excitement when it came to this story. All in all, I was a bundle of joy and anticipation as I looked down upon the first page and began. 

If you're new to Sarah Morgan and her stunning romance novels, then it's definitely worth knowing that Maybe This Christmas is the third instalment in Sarah's O'Neil Brothers series. The first in the series was Sleigh Bells in the Snow, and within that story, we are introduced to Jackson O'Neil. The Second (which I haven't read but is waiting for me in my to-read pile) is Suddenly Last Summer where we meet Sean O'Neil, and then Maybe This Christmas is the third, where Sarah displays Tyler O'Neil to us mere readers in all of his dishy, irresistible glory. The three books in the O'Neil Brothers series are set in the enchanting Snow Crystal Resort, and I fell head over heels in love with the place for the second time around. 

Maybe This Christmas focuses on Tyler O'Neil, and his childhood friend Brenna, but something that I adore is when authors still have previous characters from other books popping in and out, and Sarah did this effortlessly. It was comforting to know what was going on with the rest of the O'Neil family and it really put a smile on my face. Still as tight-knit as ever, and it was beautiful. As the story begins, Sarah brings to light the fact that Tyler is a father. His daughter Jess is now living with him due to nasty circumstances, and I was immediately made aware of the gorgeous father/daughter bond that twinkled between them. I don't know why, but the fact that Tyler was a father made me love him all the more. There was such an incredible contrast within Tyler's character. One part of him was rugged and manly, with his muscles and rough, gravelly voice, and then the other part of him was the father part. The part that made him look upon his daughter as one of his most treasured possessions, with that gooey expression softening his features in extraordinary ways. I fell in love with him instantly. It wasn't just his mouth-watering good looks (although they were a major plus) or his thick, strong thighs, but it was his past. He had a shattered dream, and his pain about that shattered dream was something that stayed with me the entire way through. I had so much sympathy for the guy, my heart ached for him whenever that horrible event was mentioned. Sarah gave me such a clear, vivid description, and so I was able to picture the anguish on Tyler's face as if he were standing right in front of me. There was so much depth to the man. He was a father, an ex-champion, a brother, and of course a fantasy to many of the women in Snow Crystal Resort. I loved his laid-back, casual attitude towards things, but Sarah made it clear that hidden beneath that cool, unaffected exterior, there was so much more going on. He is definitely a contender for book boyfriend of the year 2014, and Tyler O'Neil gets my vote. 

Brenna was another character that completely warmed my heart up. The fact that she had been in love with Tyler ever since she had been at school played havoc with my emotions. I'm such a hopeless romantic so this was like music to my ears. Brenna was quite a sensitive character too, and when Sarah gradually slots the pieces of Brenna's past into place, you begin to understand why. The chemistry between Brenna and Tyler, despite nothing ever actually happening between them, was out of this world. I felt like my adrenalin was constantly surging, and I was chewing at my lip whenever they found themselves in a situation when it was just them two alone. There was such an incredible relationship between them both, one that had been strong and unbreakable since they were kids, and the fact that Brenna wasn't willing to risk that bond for just one taste of his lips really emphasised how much she appreciated Tyler being in her life. There was the constant tug inside of her. She wanted, so badly, to go there, but she didn't want to destroy what they had, and that made perfect sense to me, and it also made the whole dilemma so much more believable. The same went for Tyler too. His past experience with relationships basically screamed out that he somehow managed to ruin everything, and so he wasn't willing to lose what he had with Brenna. It all made perfect sense, but I was still hanging on the edge of every word that Sarah had written, hoping and praying that all of that zipping, electric chemistry would finally be unleashed. 

Jess, Tyler's teenage daughter, was absolutely adorable. She had that cheeky teenage attitude that you can't help but to grin at, and she was just so sweet. I loved how she wanted to be with her father, and rather than hating him for his beginner tactics when it came to parenting, she made a joke of them instead. She didn't care that he wasn't great at cooking or had no idea about periods, she took control of the situations, and even cooked a meal for Tyler and Brenna at one point. I just wanted to cuddle Jess up! She'd had a rough beginning, and was also experiencing a tough time at school, but with the help of her two biggest supporters, Tyler and Brenna, she didn't stay down for long. There was a gorgeous family feel around the three of them, and I wanted to remain cocooned in the warm, cosy atmosphere forever. 

I have to say though, the setting of Maybe This Christmas had me counting down the days until the 25th of December. I wanted to make hot chocolates, watch the snow fall through the window, and just generally snuggle up. Snow Crystal Resort is such a magical place. Everything about it is a Christmas fanatic's dream world. It drags you in. It makes you want to pull on a pair of thick, fur-lined boots and go stomping through freshly-fallen snow, just to hear that delicious crunch beneath your feet. 

Maybe This Christmas was an absolute joy and pleasure to read. Sarah Morgan is one of those special authors who has the power to transport you from a miserable, grey day to some place wonderful and other-worldly. Her characters are so well-developed, as well as inviting. I adored losing myself to Tyler and Brenna's story, and even though I'll be going back in time, I am super excited about diving into Suddenly Last Summer. I want every single ounce of Sarah Morgan's magic that I can get.

Becca's Books is giving Maybe This Christmas by Sarah Morgan FIVE DELICIOUS PINK CUPCAKES, and so much more. It's one of those stories that you just won't be able to forget, and now, I am totally ready for Christmas. 


***



    

      

Post a Comment