The Prophecies by Holly Martin ~ BLOG TOUR!


Death was painless. Well, it was for me. Probably not for the people I had left behind. 


Title - The Prophecies
Author - Holly Martin 
Publication Date - 1st October 2014
Format - eBook (Provided via author)

The blurb

Eve grows stronger and more powerful every day as she strives to ensure she is ready to face her destiny. But some of her gifts are unwelcome. Eve's visions of the future become darker and those she loves are in terrible danger. But when her actions result in tragedy, Eve is called before The Oraculum, the council that created her. 

When she is summoned to their castle she becomes aware of a rift between the council members than not only could endanger her life, but could put the whole planet at risk. Would The Oraculum really turn against her and risk everything? 

But in the darkness, a light burns bright. Her love for Seth is stronger than any of her powers. 

But as she battles against a new threat, can she really forsake those closest to her in order to save the world? Will everyone Eve loves survive? 

Becca's thoughts

Eve is back, people. And she is back with a BANG!!! 

Ever since reading the first book in The Sentinel series, I realised that I had learnt something brand new about myself. I actually have a little part inside me, hidden beneath the hearts and the romance and the lovey-dovey stuff, that gets a secret kick out of hard-hitting, action-packed fantasy novels, and The Sentinel (the first in the series) and The Prophecies (the awesome book that I've reviewing today) give me that kick a million times over. Both stories are powerfully epic, with a super-human heroine that immediately wins you over, and I cannot wait to tell you all about The Prophecies and why today, Becca's Books is rating it with five cupcakes, although that feels a bit weird, so let's just say Becca's Books is rating it with FIVE EARTH-SHATTERING LIGHTNING BOLTS instead. Yeah, that sounds much more appropriate, doesn't it? 

I was left wanting so, so, sooo much more when I finished the final page of The Sentinel, and so when Holly kindly sent The Prophecies my way, I was absolutely ecstatic. I could not wait to return to Eve's side and pick up from where I left off.

Let's face it, The Sentinel was something else. Wasn't it? Suddenly, from out of nowhere, I emerge from my romance book cave and I'm thrown into this crazy world where people can shape-shift into animals and send messages to each other through the power of the mind. I was AMAZED. But The Sentinel has nothing, I repeat, NOTHING, on The Prophecies. The entire way through, it was like BAM BAM BAM in my face. Action, panic, explosive drama, it just never seemed to stop. I can tell you right now, hand on my heart, that I never got bored, not once. It would have been impossible for that to happen with the amount of crazy adrenaline that was pulsing through me. I found myself cheering Eve on whenever the need arose. She was still as bad-assed as ever, still thrumming with power, and it was immense. 

Getting to the nitty-gritty, when we pick back up with Eve and her story, it carries straight on from where the first book left off. I loved this. There were no gaps left between then and now, Eve was still writhing around in pain, and it felt as if I hadn't even left her side, despite it being a good chunk of months since I had finished the first book. This time, Eve is against her creators, and the struggle to simple survive is laying heavy on her hands. Holly did such an incredible job. I, myself, felt panicked and nervous for poor Eve. She had a bounty on her head, and quite simply, people wanted her dead. Suddenly, Eve is being watched night and day, and her guardians are refusing to let her anywhere alone. I felt suffocated on Eve's behalf. Even whilst she was sleeping at night, all eyes were on her. It's understandable, Eve was a very special girl, with very special powers, and it became clear to me that the people who wanted her dead were going to stop at nothing to achieve that. 

I think I read the entirety of The Prophecies with my body tensed up. Everywhere that Eve turned, I wanted to squeeze my eyes shut and pray that she wasn't about to get stabbed in the neck by some crazed Putarian. It was crystal clear to me that no-one was to be trusted. I found myself really focusing on Holly's descriptions of her characters, even finding Eve's own guardian's suspicious at one point, because I just didn't know who the hell I could trust! And if I was feeling that way, then I have no bloody idea how poor Eve must have been feeling! Well, I do, because Holly made it pretty clear through her fabulous talent with words how Eve was feeling. She was worn-out, tired of being followed and watched all the time, and who wouldn't have felt like that? I felt bad for the girl. She wanted time alone with her boyfriend Seth (yes, the gorgeous Seth is still around, woop!), but the guardians just wouldn't leave her side, and I could feel Eve's frustration as if it were my own. 

When I stated above that The Prophecies was action-packed, I wasn't using the term lightly. Action-packed still doesn't begin to describe how rammed the pages were with Eve's mind-blowing world that she come to know as her life. I have to admit though, the shape-shifters were my absolute favourite thing. I just loved them. I loved how Holly described the shape-shifting process, and it was like I could see the shifting happening right in front of me. Holly held nothing back when it came to the gory details either. There were heads being sliced off shoulders, skulls being drilled into... Gruesome, right? But that's all part of Eve's world. She fights, fights harder, and then fights some more. I was constantly aware of this un-yielding determination that radiated from Eve's character, and I respected her so much, for everything that she had been through. 

Holly never fails to amaze me with Eve. I thought I didn't like fantasy, but then I was introduced to The Sentinel Series and proved completely and utterly wrong. How could I not like this? Despite it being an epic fantasy, there's romance in here too. It had my heart racing, my nerves rattling, and it blew my freaking mind, again and again and again. 

Becca's Books is rating The Prophecies by Holly Martin with FIVE of my pretty pink cupcakes! Absolutely amazing, Holly. Bravo! I cannot WAIT for book #3! 


***

Goodreads | 




     

Post a Comment