But I Said Forever by Jennifer Gilby Roberts

Is it possible to be a married single parent? 


Title - But I Said Forever
Author - Jennifer Gilby Roberts
Publication Date - 15th November 2014
Format - eBook (Provided via author)

The blurb

Expect little, forgive much? 

After a whirlwind courtship, Brittany Beresford married her Prince Charming and looked forward to living happily ever after. Five years later, she's been reduced to a not-quite-desperate housewife, with a husband who spends more time flossing his teeth than holding meaningful conversations with her. 

She braves his disapproval and turns working mother and, other than feeling far more drawn to a handsome baker she works with than him, things seem to be looking up. But then Brittany discovers that her husband's "hobbies" include something even worse than golf - and he expects her to put up and shut up. 

Fairy tale illusions shattered, but still believing marriage is for life and wanting the best for her son, Brittany has a choice to make: should she follow her heart, or her conscience? 

Becca's thoughts

I'd like to begin my review by wishing the lovely author Jennifer Gilby Roberts a very happy publication day, and I'd also like to thank her too, for providing me with a digital copy of her book But I Said Forever. I was super excited to get started with this one, the intriguing blurb and gorgeous cover immediately caught my attention, and I'm very happy to say that I was not disappointed! I hope publication day is filled with lots of sparkles and bubbly, Jennifer, and congratulations!

As soon as I began reading But I Said Forever, I was instantly made aware of Brittany's husband Phillip, and his outdated, frustrating ideas of what a wife should be like and do. Phillip was, in a nutshell, a complete idiot, and I found myself wishing he'd get out of the story pretty soon after I'd started reading. His character wound me up, good and proper, and I was on Brittany's side right away. He was barely around for his family, working shift after shift at the hospital, and came and went as and when he saw fit. He was the type of man who showed hardly any interest in his home-life or even son for that matter, believing that anything along those lines fell to Brittany. Phillip wasn't the type of character that you'd swoon over, more the type of character that you'd enjoy punching repeatedly in the face. I truly had no idea how the hell Brittany had put up with him for as long as she had. There were moments when I wondered why Brittany hadn't yet divorced his sorry-ass, but it's revealed to the reader as the story progresses that the idea of a perfect marriage and sticking together through thick and thin was instilled into Brittany from a young age, and so divorcing her husband is, in Brittany's eyes, not an option. I could understand this slightly, but I did feel that Brittany had to be strong and do what was right for herself and her son. What's the point in struggling through an unhappy marriage?

Despite taking a fierce dislike to Brittany's workaholic husband, Brittany herself was a character that I loved. She was stay-at-home-mum, slowly realising that what she truly needed was a job, something to give her a purpose. Phillip's views on this angered me so, so much. He was incredibly old-fashioned, believe that it was the man's job to work and bring in the money, not the wife's, and again, I wanted to punch him. Brittany was determined to get out and find herself something to do, other than staring at the same four walls day after day, and so, when she came across the For Goodness Cake bakery, I was completely over the moon for her! She seemed to walk in at the exact right moment too, and I felt like fist-punching the air and cheering. In my opinion (which clashes greatly with slimy Phillip's), there is not a damn thing wrong with a working mother. A woman can't be expected to sit at home all day, to not be out and about, getting involved and actually living. When she's hired at the bakery, it's like a dream come true, and I could feel the sheer the relief emanating from Brittany's character. The For Goodness Cake bakery was fabulous, full of colourful characters, my main favourite being Zack, the incredibly grumpy baker who works there. Being the hopeless romantic that I am, I immediately clung to the idea of Brittany and Zack somehow stumbling towards each other in a romantic fashion. There was so much to see, so many people to meet, and oh, did I forget Phillip's dirty little secret? ;)

I thoroughly enjoyed But I Said Forever by Jennifer Gilby Roberts. It was a fun, entertaining read and I would love to read more from the author. My favourite part was the moment when Phillip's secret was revealed, and boy was I shocked! Such an amusing twist to add to the plot, and I completely didn't see it coming, which made it all the more enjoyable! Trust me readers, it's not what I was expecting!

Becca's Books is rating But I Said Forever by Jennifer Gilby Roberts with four adorable cupcakes! A gorgeous story, where a bakery saves a woman's sanity! Jennifer, thank you so much for allowing me to read and review your title, and I truly look forward to reading more from you!






 


1 comment :