Snow Angels, Secrets and Christmas Cake by Sue Watson

"If you believe in angels then anything's possible."


Title - Snow Angels, Secrets and Christmas Cake
Author - Sue Watson
Publisher - Bookouture
Publication Date - 17th October 2014
Format - eBook (Provided via NetGalley)
Pages - 232

The blurb

For Tamsin Angel, Christmas is always the biggest and best... chic parties and a little showbiz sparkle are a must. This year though, things aren't going quite as planned...

With bailiffs suddenly at the door and her husband nowhere to be found, it looks like Christmas just got downsized. Moving into her sister's one-bedroom flat, she wonders whether things will ever be the same again. 

After losing her husband on Christmas Eve, Sam Angel has rebuilt her life around her son Jacob and her new business - The White Angel Bakery. She's also found herself a very handsome, loving boyfriend, but is struggling to let go of the past. 

Thrown together with a sprinkle of Christmas magic, Sam and Tamsin might just learn a little more about each other - and themselves. But when disaster strikes at the bakery, will they be able to save the day in time for Christmas? 

Becca's thoughts

Firstly, a massive thank you to the fabulous publishers Bookouture for providing me with a digital copy of this gorgeous title by Sue Watson, and an ever bigger thanks to the author herself for writing such a masterpiece. Snow Angels, Secrets and Christmas Cake by Sue Watson was truly beautiful. A heart-warming story, showcasing what Christmas is all about. 

This is the first book by Sue Watson that I have had the pleasure of reading, despite there being releases prior to this one. I do have Love, Lies and Lemon Cake to read which I am now extremely looking forward to, and I can't wait to finally get round to it after having a taste of Sue's scrumptious writing style. 

In Snow Angels, Secrets and Christmas Cake, Sue is not only writing in one narrative but she's writing in two, these narratives belonging to the Angel sisters, Sam and Tamsin. What I adored most about the sisters was how different they were. Tamsin was a glamour kitten, splashing cash on posh lunch-dates with the ladies of Chantray Lane, strutting around in designer clothes and heels, and throwing some of the most lavish soirĂ©es known to man. Tamsin's goal in life was to be noticed, and to be known as the best. Each year, Christmas was planned months in advance, from the colour themes to the family photograph. Tamsin was so desperate to create the 'perfect' Christmas, but each time ended up in disaster of nerves, madness and utter chaos. In contrast to Tamsin's twinkling lifestyle, Sam was a lot more muted, preferring her comfy shoes, and getting her hands messy back at The Snow Angel bakery. It immediately became apparent to me that though these girls were sisters and had grown up in the same house together, they'd actually been given very different experiences, which explained a lot about why the girls were varied in their approaches to life and it's dramas. However, despite Sam and Tamsin's obvious differences, they adored each other, and that was plain to see. When the tough times rolled around, it was no longer about who threw the best dinner parties, but about knowing who actually cared and who didn't. Sue created such an incredible sisterly bond between Sam and Tamsin, one that was so well-written it reminded me of myself and own sisters. Yes, we fight, we argue, we've even come to blows a few times, but we're family, and sisters will always have each other's backs in the long run. I couldn't help but to feel cosy, warm, and completely cocooned within the gorgeously festive world that Sue had created, It was ridiculously easy for me to lose myself too, and I'd happily do so, again and again and again. 

It's not all perfection within Snow Angels, Secrets and Christmas Cake. Just when you think you've got to grips with the winter wonderland that is Tamsin's home as Sue opens the story, things are, put politely, turned upside down. I was utterly shocked when the bad news came, as was poor Tamsin, who usually had everything so organised and well put-together. The damage that was done didn't last forever though, and it was suddenly up to Sam to take Tamsin beneath her wing and nurse her sister's broken heart. I loved the downright shock that I felt when Sue sabotaged Tamsin's life. It was insane, but something, I thought, that Tamsin was desperately in need of. There was drama, secrets being unearthed and some serious sexy business going on. Sue did it all! The story was absorbing and I soon found myself feeling like a third sister in the Angel twosome. 

The Snow Angel Bakery is worth it's own paragraph in my review, because it added a beautiful, homely feel to the story itself. Not only does the title make you feel warm and fuzzy inside, but it's what Sam creates within the bakery that had me licking my lips and wanting to rush off to the nearest bakery to stuff my face with cakes and all sugary and festive! It was true delight to be invited inside of the bakery and watch the magic unfold, which it did, on many occasions (and I'm not strictly talking bakery here)! With the snow sprinkling down, and the lights on inside of the bakery, it felt sparkly and inviting, exactly the sort of place you'd want to visit. 

To me, Snow Angels, Secrets and Christmas Cake by Sue Watson is one of those books that feel like treasures, a go-to book when you're feeling down and out. It made me happy and comfortable, watching the two sisters bicker but then declare their love for each other soon afterwards. It was festive, entertaining and basically just everything that I love to find in a well-written book. From the characters to the edible delights from The Snow Angel Bakery, I won't be forgetting this one in a hurry, and I seriously cannot wait to read more from Sue. It's as if I've found a writer than knows exactly what I, as a reader, want and need. 

Becca's Books is rating Snow Angels, Secrets and Christmas Cake by Sue Watson with FIVE ADORABLE CUPCAKES! I want to dive back into this story already! Thank you so much Sue. What an absolute delight!




  





Post a Comment