The Stall of Second Chances by Dana Bate ~ BLOG TOUR!

It's a scarier way to live, demanding trust in myself and others that I'm still trying to master, but I'd rather ask for a second chance than not take any chances at all. 


Title - The Stall of Second Chances
Author - Dana Bate 
Publication Date - 20th November 2014
Publisher - Little, Brown UK
Format - Paperback (Provided via publisher)

The blurb

Sydney Strauss is obsessed with food. 

Not just with eating it - though she loves that too - but with writing about it as an aspiring cookery reporter. But food journalism jobs are more coveted than cupcakes, and so Sydney is stuck working for one of TV's biggest egomaniacs - until she's left scrambling for shifts at the local farmers' market. 

Selling muffins at the Wild Yeast Bakery is hardly going to make her the next Nigella. But soon Sydney is writing the market's weekly newsletter, and her quirky stories gain attention from a prominent food columnist. After years of being left on the shelf, she's even dating again. And then Sydney gets a shot at the story, one that could either make her career or burn it to a cinder - along with her relationship and her reputation. 

Becca's thoughts

I'd like to begin my review by saying a massive thank you to the lovely Grace Vincent from Little, Brown UK, for inviting me onto Dana Bate's The Stall of Second Chances blog tour, and also for providing me with my very own kissable paperback copy of the book. I'd also like to thank the author Dana Bate for providing me with such a wonderful story to lose myself within. The Stall of Second Chances was absolutely fabulous, and I loved it from back to front. So, thank you ladies! 

In The Stall of Second Chances by Dana Bate, we meet Sydney Strauss. She's been working at The Morning Show, despite it not being anything like her dream of becoming a food journalist, and when Sydney is let go, she's desperate for a job, just to get the money to make ends meet and pay off the rent on her apartment. By chance, Sydney begins working at a Farmer's Market beside Rick, a very grumpy stall-holder, and before she knows it, she's truly getting into the swing of things. It might not be the most glamorous job, but at least she's now closer to her passion, food. Things begin to look up for Sydney when her food blog attracts the attention of Stu Abott who works at The Chronicle. He wants Sydney to write for them, and she's more than happy to do so, but with the promise of a juicier pay-out if she can deliver a juicier story, it's oh-so-tempting when she finds something out that could potentially land her a job at The Chronicle, which is exactly what she's been dreaming for. Except, using that juicy information could potentially destroy the one thing that's good in her life, but can she really turn away from such an opportunity? 

For me, reading this book was a pure pleasure. It had everything that an excellent read needs. A comical heroine Sydney, more than one gorgeous man, a ton of dramas and lots and lots of food. When I first began reading, I immediately took a liking to Sydney, she was so funny, sarcastic, and someone who I can imagine I'd get along with if she were to be real. There was many moments where I laughed until my eyes were streaming with happy tears, particularly whenever Rick was involved, the market-stall holder. Sydney's views on grumpy Rick really tickled me and I just loved her quirky thoughts that went through her mind whenever Rick attempted to flirt with a woman or hacked out a mouthful of spit to the floor. The first morning of working at the farmer's market, Sydney is standing in for her best-friend Heidi after a bout of food poisoning, and it was clear to me that Sydney was not use to the scene at all. Dana created such a vivid image of the farmer's market in my mind I was basically there already. The brioche, the pumpkin-seed muffins, there was just so much food surrounding them, and despite the job itself not being glamorous, I had a feeling that Sydney would soon begin to love it. Sydney's past wasn't revealed to me right away, which is something that I love a writer to do. As the story progressed, I learnt more about Sydney's history when it came to relationships, her younger sister Libby, and her parents and home life too. There was an incredible amount of depth to Sydney's character, and by the end of the book, I felt like I knew her inside and out. 

The plot within The Stall of Second Chances was fabulous! I loved watching Sydney's situations unfold. One minute she was on cloud nine, the next she was tumbling down to reality. There were so many ups and downs within the plot and so I was endlessly entertained and smiling away almost throughout the entirety of the book. The characters added so much to me being entertained. I took a particular liking to Jeremy - who I'm sure you'll love too - but even he had a dark side that Sydney didn't take a liking to once she figured it out. 

The Stall of Second Chances by Dana Bate was marvellous, and I'd happily read this one again! It had everything. The humour, the drama, the excellent characters. It was bloody delightful! Becca's Books is rating The Stall of Second Chances by Dana Bate with five adorable cupcakes! It's the perfect book for chick-lit lovers! 






2 comments :

  1. Thanks for the review Rebecca! I'm going to order it on my Kindle now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm reading this one now (thru netgalley in US), and it has a different title......A Second Bite at the Apple. Wonder if this is a new name, or if it's going to be different based on country?

    ReplyDelete