The Woman Who Stole My Life by Marian Keyes

"I'm the one who's meant to be famous. Not you - me! You're the woman who stole my life!"


Title - The Woman Who Stole My Life
Author - Marian Keyes
Publisher - Penguin UK
Publication Date - 6th November 2014
Format - eBook (Provided via NetGalley)
Pages - 500

The blurb

"Okay, I'll write my introduction. 'Name: Stella Sweeney. Height: average. Recent life events: dramatic.'

Stella Sweeney is an ordinary woman living an ordinary life with her husband Ryan and their two teenage kids in Dublin. She works with - or really for - her terrifyingly ambitious sister Karen in their beauty salon. Nothing to get excited about here. Nothing to make her particularly unhappy. Or happy... No-one would be interested in stealing her life. 

But then things started to happen...

One day, Stella, attempting a good deed, causes a little car accident and faces down a bad tempered, handsome stranger. She hardly gives it much of a thought. But Karma is hovering, and is about to take over, swoop in and change Stella's life for ever. For better or worse. 

Suddenly Stella has a life. A thrilling glamorous one. A life that other people might start to covet...

Becca's thoughts

I'd like to first say a huge thank you to the publishers Penguin UK for providing me with a digital copy of The Woman Who Stole My Life by Marian Keyes in exchange for a fair and honest review, and I'd also like to thank the author Marian Keyes. What a fantastic read!

The first thing that I feel I need to comment on is the structure of The Woman Who Stole My Life. Now, I absolutely adore being taken backwards and forwards in time by the author. Being able to get a glimpse into the past, and then being able to sneak a peek at the present is endlessly satisfying, but I felt, whilst reading The Woman Who Stole My Life, that I became a little lost at some point within the plot. There were times when I grew a tad confused about whether I was back in the past or actually in the present day, and this sadly had an impact on my overall enjoyment of the book. Not a major impact, mind you, but when I catch myself trying to figure where I'm at in the plot, it takes my mind from off the story itself, and I just end up getting into a big old mess. I did find that once I had managed to get my bearings and figure out who was who and what had happened when, the story began to come together, but unfortunately, near the beginning, I was finding it difficult to really settle down with it. 

Needless to say, once I was all sorted with the characters and the swapping time-frames, Stella Sweeney's story was incredibly enjoyable, and I ended up completely forgetting about my muddled-up-ness at the beginning of the book and being able to pinpoint exactly where I was at different times. Names began to stick with characters, places and times stayed separated, and the story began to make sense in my mind. I was able to picture everything clearly, and it was wonderful. 

Stella's story was fantastic. We're first introduced to Stella when she's sat at her desk and is trying to pull herself together to put fingers to keyboard and create something amazing. After that, I suppose the rest of the book is a sort of journey through Stella's past, and how she came to be sitting at that desk, trying her hardest to conjure up book-worthy words. The Woman Who Stole My Life is Stella's life, including everything from her husband, her kids, and her time spent in hospital, which to me, was when everything seemed to change. There were so many eventful moments to take note of and they added so much depth and believability to Stella's character and her life, fictional or not. Her son Jeffrey, who was a complete odd-ball, entertained me endlessly, but Stella's husband Ryan was bad enough for me to want to ram my fist at my Kindle screen. He was a horrific character, who deserved to be dumped and left on his own. He didn't give a damn about Stella, only really ever worrying about himself, and he just full-on ground my gears. Mannix, Stella's doctor whilst she's in hospital, was brilliant, and I loved his uniqueness. There was a fab mix of characters, all different and quirky, really making the story a great read. 

To be honest, this wasn't a FANTASTIC read, but it definitely held me captive enough to continue onwards to the end. I haven't read anything by Marian Keyes before, and so I really don't have any other works of hers to compare it to, but for me, it worked, and I felt completely immersed within Stella Sweeney's story, despite it being maybe a little drawn out? Even though it was much longer in length that my usual read, I managed to finish it quite quickly, and was left feeling satisfied with how it ended. Becca's Books is rating The Woman Who Stole My Life with four yummy pink cupcakes! I' would adore to read more from the author (if only I had the time!) and I'm really looking forward to going back to her previous work when I have the chance! 




    



1 comment :

  1. Marian Keyes knows how to get under people's skin! Whatever readers expect, they don't necessarily get it. I like this author and really enjoyed your review, Becca!

    ReplyDelete