Author interview with Carys Jones


Today on Becca's Books, I am delighted to be interviewing the brilliant Carys Jones! Carina author with talent to boot, I feel privileged to have Carys here today. Let's get started! 

B ~ Carys, you're the author of First to Fall, Second to Cry, Prime Deception and Sunkissed. How does it feel to have four novels published? What an achievement!

C ~ Aww thank you! I'm definitely really proud of my published novels but the moment I finish one project I'm moving on to the next one! I work myself really hard when it comes to my writing but I kind of think I have to as no one else is pushing me but me! Lol. My goal is to eventually have all my manuscripts published as I love having the opportunity to share my stories with people! 

B ~ I haven't had the chance to dive into your work properly just yet, but I'd love to know more about your books. Tell me, are each of the above within the same genre? Would you consider writing within a genre that's completely new to you? 

C ~ The books I have out with Carina UK are all romantic suspense but Sunkissed is a YA story. I love writing in a variety of genres and have to admit that my heart does probably lie within YA as I love the creative freedom within the genre and the voracious appetite of its readers! 

I'd definitely consider writing in a completely new genre; I think it would be an exciting challenge! 

B ~ Have you always wanted to be an author? At what point did you decide to take it seriously? 

C ~ I always wanted to be an author. I remember writing short stories in school and wondering if one day I'd be able to turn it into a career. Writing makes me happy; I find it really cathartic and a great release. I'm easily at my happiest when writing! 

I started taking my writing seriously about two years ago when I quit my job within the NHS in order to be able to write full time. It was a scary decision as I wasn't sure if it would work out, and my family were worried for me but thankfully my writing career is going from strength to strength. Taking a leap like leaving the regular working world can be utterly terrifying but also totally rewarding in the long term. 

B ~ Out of your published releases, which took the longest to write? Do you have a favourite? 

C ~ First to Fall was the first book I ever wrote and it probably took me around six months to write. I normally take 3 months to write a book, but with First to Fall it took longer as I was writing it whilst recovering from major surgery. I was stuck at home for 12 months healing and wanted to make the most of my time. I'd forever been saying I was going to write a book but never seemed to have the time. Suddenly I had nothing but time so I thought, why not? It was the sort of chance I'd been waiting for despite the unpleasant circumstances. Every cloud really does have a silver lining! 

I couldn't possibly pick a favourite! I love all my book babies equally! They are all a part of me in a way and when I look back on them, I remember what was going on in my life when I wrote them.

B ~ Do you have a particular writing process that you stick to? How does planning work for you? 

C ~ I'm very organised when it comes to my writing. I have a detailed outline for a book which I then break down chapter by chapter. Every day I have daily word targets that I need to hit. I'm really strict on myself, making sure I write each and every day. It helps keep my writing fresh and stops a story stagnating. I imagine my writing process must seem very boring as it is so methodical. 

B ~ Have there been any challenges that you've needed to overcome? 

C ~ I put too much pressure on myself and I still struggle with that. I have tonnes of expectations and get stressed if I think I'm running behind on deadlines or not nailing an element within a story. Stepping away from my laptop and going for a walk with my gorgeous dog, Rollo, usually helps to clear my head and help me gain some perspective. 

B ~ Are there any authors which you'd class as role-models when it comes to writing? 

C ~ I really admire Jodi Picoult. I wrote to her when I was starting out, asking for advice, and she got back to me (how cool is that as she's huge?!) She was really kind and told me to be patient and write because I love it, but be prepared for the inevitable knocks. She was really humble and kind. She writes so many moving books and yet had the time to reach out to an aspiring writer like me. She'll always be my author role model because of that. 

B ~ How would you describe your writing style? 

C ~ I always write in third person. My style is accessible commercial fiction with quite a classic literary approach. I want people to be able to read one of my books and easily get carried along with the story. That's what I'm always aiming for. I'm not trying to trick the reader, just to take them on a journey. 

B ~ Do you find it difficult choosing a title for a finished book? 

C ~ I always start with a title first. I think this just helps me focus. Sometimes the title changes, but usually I anchor myself with a title but I'm always open to changing it if I need to. I do find choosing titles quite tough as it can be hard to sum up an entire story in just a few words. 

B ~ Do you have any rules to follow when writing? 

C ~ I'm not sure if it's down as a rule but I like to be left alone when writing. I ignore the phone and shut myself away with only my dog for company and don't resurface for a couple of hours. I also write in total silence as I need to focus on the story that is unfolding in my head. 

I don't let myself get up until I've hit my word count for the day. Then I'm allowed a celebratory jelly baby or ten as I've got a massive sweet tooth! 

B ~ Who are your biggest supporters? 

C ~ My absolute biggest supporter is my Dad. He is the only person in the whole world who has read everything I've ever done. He reads along with me as I'm writing and is so enthusiastic. Right from the beginning he always told me how much he believed in me and my work and that meant so much. He truly is my biggest fan which is why I tend to always dedicate my books to him. 

B ~ What else do you enjoy doing besides writing? 

C ~ I'm really into playing computer games. I've got a PS3 and love the Final Fantasy series. I spend a lot of time walking my dog, Rollo, in the woodlands behind my home and I've got an awesome group of friends who I've known forever and hang out with as much as I can. I love any girly TV shows and films and can spend an entire afternoon catching up on Pretty Little Liars, Grey's Anatomy or Revenge (provided I've hit my word count that day...)

B ~ Do you have any favourite authors of your own? 

C ~ I list John Green, Jodi Picoult and Virginia Andrews among my favourite authors. I've also recently discovered Becca Fitzpatrick so am excited about reading some more of her books. 

B ~ Are you working on anything at the moment that you can tell us a little about? 

C ~ I've been doing NaNoWriMo this month, writing a sci-fi YA story. It is almost complete now. I've got a YA dystopian story called Dare to Dream coming out early 2015 with Reuts Publications which is in the editing stages and have been editing my third Avalon book, Third to Die, which will be released through Carina UK in February next year. 

B ~ What are your hopes and dreams for the future? 

C ~ My dream is to write all of the books on my to-write list (currently I'm at 20 books to write and add a new one on a monthly basis as an idea occurs) and I'd love to have all of my books published in both eBook and paperback format and be widely available. 

Since we're talking dreams I'm going to aim big and say I'd love for one of my books to be made in to a movie with Leonardo DiCaprio starring in it! :) That would be too awesome. 

B ~ Does a lot of research go into your work? 

C ~ It depends on the story. If I'm writing within a specific time period (one of my books is set in 1920s Hollywood) then I do spent time researching locations, language and styles of the time. 

B ~ What's the best advice you ever received? 

C ~ Don't stop writing. That came from Jodi Picoult :)

B ~ Can you give any advice to aspiring authors out there? 

C ~ Well, I can pass on Jodi's wise words; don't stop writing. Also, make sure you believe in yourself or at least have a strong cheer-leading team behind you. I've had countless moments when I've been struck by self-doubt or knocked on my butt by a vicious review. When that happens I go see my Dad and hearing how much faith he has in me helps me pick myself back up and keep chasing my dream. 

You need to push yourself because no one else is going to make your dreams come true but you. 

B ~ What do you look for in a gripping read? 

C ~ Characters I care about. If I don't care about the characters I struggle to care about what happens to them and then lose interest in the story. I like reading about strong females and heroic males. I love it when I start to think that if a character in a book actually existed that we could be friends! When that happens I know I'm reading a great story!

B ~ Carys, thanks so much for coming on Becca's Books, it's been a pleasure having you here, and I look forward to reading your work in the future!

C ~ Thank you so much for having me, it's been a lot of fun! And your questions are awesome and really made me stop and think! :)

~ Author Bio ~


Carys Jones loves nothing more than to write and create stories which ignite the reader's imagination. Based in Shropshire, England, Carys lives with her husband, two guinea pigs and her adored canine companion Rollo. 

When she's not writing, Carys likes to indulge her inner geek by watching science-fiction films or playing video games. 

She lists John Green, Jodi Picoult and Virginia Andrews as her favourite authors and draws inspiration for her own work from anything and everything. 

To Carys, there is no greater feeling than when you lose yourself in a great story and it is that feeling of ultimate escapism which she tries to bring to her books. 

Carys Jones can be found on TwitterFacebook & carys-jones.com

First to Fall ~ Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US
Second to Cry ~ Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US
Prime Deception ~ Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US
Sunkissed ~ Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US












Post a Comment