It's Not Me, It's You by Mhairi McFarlane

"When the fight comes, don't turtle up."


Title - It's Not Me, It's You
Author - Mhairi McFarlane
Publication Date - 6th November 2014
Publisher - HarperCollins UK
Format - eBook (Provided via NetGalley)

The blurb

Delia Moss isn't quite sure where she went wrong. 

When she proposed and discovered her boyfriend was sleeping with someone else - she thought it was her fault. 

When she realised life would never be the same again - she thought it was her fault. 

And when he wanted her back like nothing had changed - Delia started to wonder if perhaps she was not to blame...

From Newcastle to London and back again, with dodgy jobs, eccentric bosses and annoyingly handsome journalists thrown in, Delia must find out where her old self went - and if she can ever get her back. 

Becca's thoughts

Firstly, I'd like to say a massive thank you to the wonderful team at HarperCollins UK for providing me with a digital copy of Mhairi McFarlane's It's Not Me, It's You in exchange for a fair and honest review. This is the second book that I have had the pleasure of reading by Mhairi, and I have to say, I was mightily impressed! 

In It's Not Me, It's You, Mhairi introduces us to her heroine Delia Moss. As the novel begins, Delia takes the steps needed to propose to her partner Paul, and is completely thrown when she finds out that Paul has been seeing another woman behind her back. She finds this out when Paul accidentally sends a text to her, which was originally meant to be sent to the woman he's been seeing behind her back! Well, if that's not a way to grab the reader's attention then I don't know what is! From that point on, I knew that I couldn't turn away from Delia and her story. I was equally shocked and mortified on Delia's behalf, not forgetting furious! It was obvious how much Delia loved Paul, after all, it's not every day that the woman proposes to the man! And after she'd built up the courage to do so, planned how it was going to happen... and then that happened? I was like WHAT THE HELL?! I took Delia's side immediately and couldn't wait to see what happened next! 

From that moment on, the story became a journey of self-discovery for Delia, and it was fantastic. She moved away from Paul, figuring that what she needed more than anything was space and time apart, time to figure out her feelings, which was completely understandable, so, she headed back to her family home in Hexham. This is where we meet Delia's brother who happens to be a recluse, who adores video games and pizza! I loved Ralph instantly. Despite not being a social butterfly or sleek and stylish, he was immediately likeable, down-to-earth, and never failed to surprised Delia with the truth. He didn't dress up his words or lie to make people feel better, and that was another reason of many as to why I loved him! 

As well as her friends and family, along the way, we meet a crazy mish-mash of characters who really brighten up Delia's journey! All sorts of comical, entertaining events take place, and it really is like making a new friend. We're told of Delia's hopes and dreams for the future, all that she thought had been set in concrete regarding Paul and their future together, and she felt as real to me as the people that I see strolling through town on a Saturday morning. 

I adored this story! It was fantastic and I couldn't have felt more involved if I'd tried. Mhairi brought me right into the story, all the ins and outs of Delia's life and it was incredible. I couldn't read it quick enough, and barely had the will power to put my Kindle down when I needed to "real-life" things. Becca's Books is rating It's Not Me, It's You by Mhairi McFarlane with five of my gorgeous cupcakes! This book is a complete winner in my eyes, and I really, really hope you'll read and love it just as much as I did! Thanks so much HarperCollins, and thank you Mhairi McFarlane! Such a fantastic read which I'd recommend to everybody! 










Post a Comment