The Chateau by Karen Aldous ~ BLOG TOUR!

"Our relationship should come before anything: my business; your charity. You don't get it, do you?"


Title - The Chateau 
Author - Karen Aldous
Publisher - Carina UK
Publication Date - 30th October 2014
Format - eBook (Provided via NetGalley)

The blurb

Can young hearts ease a restless spirit? 

On the shores of stunning Lake Geneva, Gina Remy is celebrating her brother's wedding - when the figure of a woman appears hovering above the water, beckoning to her. Ghostly visitations do not happen to Gina - a self-confessed control freak with her own successful property business, she prides herself on being level-headed. But as she is tormented by dreams and visions, her perfect life begins to unravel, and she knows she needs to help this ghost find peace if she's to get any of her own! 

Enter Ollie Martin, an Anglo-Swiss property developer who's sexy as hell and knows it. His arrogance annoys Gina, but he's the only one who will take her seriously... and the closer they come to understanding the quest the ghost has set for them, the closer they get to one another...

Becca's thoughts 

Today, I'm super excited to announce that it's Becca's Books' stop on the blog tour for the enchanting The Chateau by Karen Aldous. I'd like to say a huge thank you to the lovely Tay from Chicks That Read for inviting me along for yet another fabulous tour, so without further ado, let me tell you why I loved The Chateau. 

Firstly, let's talk about that cover. Yes, it's beautiful, yes, it's so-totally-swoon-worthy, and yes, it caught my attention immediately. But, and this isn't a bad but, there is so much more to The Chateau than romance and an exquisite setting. I had images in my mind of a romance story that would take my breath away, and even though the romance within did that exactly, there was just so, so, so much more to it than that.  

In The Chateau, we're introduced to Karen's heroine Gina Remy. As soon the story opens, we're faced with an argument that is taking place between Gina and her husband Max. It becomes clear almost instantly that problems have been going on between the two for some time. As the argument continues on, it's revealed that Max has been side-stepping the matter of beginning a family, despite them both agreeing that it was something that they wanted, at the beginning of their relationship. Since then though, the relationship and man that Gina once adored and knew so well has changed an awful lot. 
"Was she so wrong in wanting a family when it was something they'd planned?" 
Gina was frustrated with it, and to be honest, I couldn't blame her at all. As the story progresses, you begin to understand why Gina is so upset. It seems to her that their relationship is going nowhere, and Max, quite simply, doesn't seem bothered at all. So, before the story has even truly begun, we already know that the main character is having problems with her other half, and to me, that added a whole bunch of drama and oomph to the story, even though I was only one chapter in. Within that chapter, I think I learnt a lot about Gina.She was obviously desperate to start a family with Max, and it seemed to me that she was feeling unfulfilled and unwanted within that relationship. And if it was something that they'd planned right from the start, then why the hell wouldn't she be feeling like that? I'm not going to lie, I took Gina's side immediately, and I was just dying to catch something sneaky going on with Max, so that Gina could gather the strength to kiss the loser goodbye! 

As the story really began to gather the wind beneath its sails, I realised that this wasn't just any old romance story, it was unique, so unique in fact, that it was supernatural. I know, right? Definitely not what you'd expect with that cover is it? But readers, know this, it was extraordinary. Not only is there a supernatural being involved within this story, but this supernatural being, known as Agnes Francescia, is also given the chance to get her thoughts across when Karen switches to her narrative every now and again before chapter changes. ARGH! I KNOW! I absolutely freaking loved this and it's something that I haven't read before now. It all begins when Gina heads to Lake Geneva to celebrate her brother's wedding, and things begin to get creepy. Ghostly figures, twisted dreams and a series of freaky happenings, it quickly becomes clear that Gina is being followed for a reason. The Chateau holds a past that goes beyond Gina's wildest dreams, and for some reason, she's been chosen to figure out what went all those centuries before. With the help of Ollie Martin, attractive, dishy and slightly cocky, the two set out together to uncover the truth and finally put the restless spirit at peace. 

Not only did Ollie appear at the right time when Gina's relationship was, bit by bit, falling apart, but he turned out to be Gina's confidant, and the only person who she felt she could talk to about what she'd seen, without being laughed at. I loved Ollie, he was cheeky and wound Gina up endlessly, but I knew that he was just what Gina needed, instead of stupid, idiotic Max who I seriously took a dislike to. Not only does The Chateau focus on the ghost of Agnes Francescia, but there's a real family feel involved too. Like Gina's mother for instance, who begins to have problems of her own as the plot continues. I loved that this was included because for a while, it took your attention away from Agnes Francescia and allowed you to focus on something else for a little while, so it wasn't constantly in your face. There was so much going on within this story, and I was completely and utterly hooked from the get-go. 

After reading The Vineyard by Karen Aldous, I could not wait to get started on The Chateau. I suppose my expectations were pretty high, but Karen blew my mind repeatedly during my reading of this beautiful story. There was so much history drenching the words, so it was also like a mini history lesson, too. Becca's Books is rating The Chateau by Karen Aldous with FIVE GORGEOUS CUPCAKES! This is just the sort of story that forces you to sit up straight and really pay attention to what's going on because you don't want to miss a single thing. This is definitely worth five of my cupcakes, without a doubt. Karen, thank you for writing such a gorgeous story, and Carina, thank you so much for providing me with a digital copy via NetGalley. I thoroughly enjoyed The Chateau, and I'm sure my readers will, too! 



~ GIVEAWAY! ~

Feel like a real star of The Chateau and lavish the experience of a relaxing make-over or, learn how to do your make-up expertly with a one-to-one tutorial with professional make-up artist Gemma Aldous. 

Gemma, whose clients include Pixie Lott, Eliza Doolittle Sheridan Smith, Blondie, Gloria Hunningford Andrea Bagley plus X-Factor and Britain's Got Talent contestants, cast from Made in Chelsea and Towie - see Gemma's website. Gemma will show you how to make the most from your features and tones, whether it's a natural daytime look you're after or a glamorous evening look. Gemma also does bridal bridal make-up so, if a special day is looming, be sure to ask. 

*Terms and conditions*
The winner, male of female, will need to make their own way to London on a mutually agreeable date, at their own expense to receive this special treat where you will also meet the author of The Chateau and The Vineyard, Karen Aldous. The winner may be accompanied by one other person. The winner will also agree to publicity photos. 


a Rafflecopter giveaway


Post a Comment