Lost and Found by Brooke Davis

Millie's dog Rambo, was her Very First Dead Thing.


Title - Lost and Found 
Author - Brooke Davis 
Publication Date - 29th January 2015
Publisher - Cornerstone Digital 
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via NetGalley)

The blurb

Millie Bird is a seven-year-old girl who always wears red wellington boots to match her red, curly hair. But one day, Millie's mum leaves her alone beneath the Ginormous Women's underwear rack in a department store, and doesn't come back. 

Agatha Pantha is an eighty-two-year-old woman who hasn't left her home since her husband died. Instead, she fills the silence by yelling at passers-by, watching loud static on TV, and maintaining a strict daily schedule. Until the day Agatha spies a little girl across the street. 

Karl the Touch Typist is eighty-seven years old and once typed love letters with his fingers on to his wife's skin. He sits in a nursing home, knowing that somehow he must find a way for life to begin again. In a moment of clarity and joy, he escapes. 

Together, Millie, Agatha and Karl set out to find Millie's mum. Along the way, they will discover that the young can be wise, that old age is not the same as death, and that breaking the rules once in a while might just be the key to a happy life. 

Becca's thoughts

I'd like to begin my review by saying a huge thank you to the publishers and Brooke Davis for providing me with a digital copy of Lost and Found via Net Galley in exchange for a fair and honest review. After reading the blurb on Net Galley, I couldn't wait to dive in and lose myself within the story, and when it came to diving back out, I did so with a MASSIVE GRIN on my face! 

In Lost and Found, Brooke introduces us to her character Millie, a six-year-old girl who loved her red wellies and had curly, matching red hair. I found Millie to be absolutely fascinating from the get-go. I couldn't put my finger on exactly what I found fascinating about her, but there was something that made me try to read between the lines whenever the focus was on her. Millie was also intrigued by death, which I found a little strange, but again, compelling. She thought about things that very few other six-year-old girls would think about, and that in turn made me think about them. There was one part in the book where Millie referred to the dash between the dates on a person's gravestone. She mentioned how insignificant that that dash seemed to make a person's entire life seem, and wow, it opened up a whole road of thoughts that my mind swiftly went down. I suppose, in a sense, this book was quite wise, as well as a fantastic journey! Alongside Millie, there was Agatha, a bit of a batty old woman, and Karl, who at times I found to be a little confusing, but enjoyed the company of nonetheless. The characters within Lost and Found were extremely kooky and quirky, utterly entertaining and so enjoyable to read about. The three of them were a fabulous mix of personalities and characteristics, and worked beautifully against each other. 

The plot itself was great! When Millie's mum leaves her in the department store and seemingly disappears, I couldn't believe my eyes! I immediately wanted to know why and how and whether she'd be back or not. The thought of leaving a child alone, anywhere, absolutely terrifies me, and so I was frightened on Millie's behalf as soon as I realised what exactly had happened. A million thoughts flashed through my mind, my own made-up reasons as to why she'd been left alone, and I just wanted to hurry up and find out! When Agatha and Karl came onto the scene, I had a teensy inkling that they were about to go on a journey together, but I had no idea how absolutely fantastic that journey would be! It was invigorating! They steal a van, go on a hilarious train journey, and even have the company of a dummy from the department store. Gah, it was bloody brilliant! I think that up until their journey to find Millie's mum really gets started, it was a little slow, but when it really gets going, it was incredibly enjoyable!

Lost and Found was such a fun book to read, but with a slight underlying seriousness laced within the plot too. After all, Millie is left alone by her mother, and despite all the fun and the laughter, there was always this uneasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. Millie's circumstances weren't exactly ideal for a six-year-old girl, but Brooke managed to add such a glorious twist to this that I found it impossible not to love! 

Becca's Books is rating Lost and Found by Brooke Davis with four of my yummy cupcakes! A truly enjoyable story with three characters who you will snort and shout at, and a little girl in red wellies who will steal your heart! 






  

Post a Comment