Three Amazing Things About You by Jill Mansell

1.) I'm twenty-eight, I have cystic fibrosis and I never actually expected to live this long. 
2.) The hospital transplant coordinator called two hours ago - they have a new pair of lungs for me. 
3.) I've never been so scared in my life. Also, excited. But mainly scared. Because this is a big thing that's about to happen and since I'm a coward I can't help picturing the worst-case scenario. 


Title - Three Amazing Things About You
Author - Jill Mansell 
Publication Date - 15th January 2015
Publisher - Headline 
Format - eBook (Provided via Net Galley)
Pages - 384

The blurb

Hallie has a secret. She's in love. He's perfect for her; he's even single. But he's out of bounds. And her friends aren't going to help her because what they do know is that Hallie hasn't got long to live. 

Flo has a dilemma. She really likes Zander. But his scary sister won't be even faintly amused if she thinks Zander and Flo are becoming friends - let alone anything more...

Tasha has a problem. Her new boyfriend is the adventurous type. And she's afraid one of his adventures will go badly wrong. 

Three Amazing Things About You begins as Hallie goes on a journey. She's about to get a new heart. But whose heart is it? 

Becca's thoughts 

Oh God. I'm tearing up! 

This has to be, without a doubt, one of my favourite books by Jill Mansell. EVER EVER EVER. I've read a ton of Jill's books, and even though I've fallen head over heels in love with each and every one one of them, Three Amazing Things About You was just... breathtaking, and one of those books that I won't be forgetting about in a hurry. I'd like to say a massive thank you to the publishers Headline for providing me with a digital copy of Three Amazing Things About You by Jill Mansell in exchange for an honest review, and an even bigger thank you to Jill, for being able to create such magic and for sharing it with the rest of the world. And for, quite simply, squeezing my tear ducts bone dry! (Bit of a strange image there!)

In Three Amazing Things About You by Jill Mansell, the story opens with Hallie, who has cystic fibrosis and has amazingly been called by her transplant coordinator. He announces that they've found a match, and in just a few moments, Hallie's whole life is ahead of her, whereas before, she was taking it one day at a time. Jill set this scene so beautifully, my eyes were already swimming with tears. I just cannot fathom how life-changing that moment would be, how in awe you would feel if you were in Hallie's shoes, and had just received that phone-call. For me, this was the perfect way to open the story. Immediately, I was interested, I wanted to know how Hallie would move forward from that moment, and there was no way on earth that I was going to put my Kindle down. No way at all. Not even if someone had paid me! 

In true customary Jill Mansell style, there was more than one key character. Despite the book opening with Hallie, Jill begins to glide from character to character, taking the reader along on the ride as she dips into the different lives. For as long as I can remember, this has fascinated me endlessly, how Jill manages to bring her characters together despite their lives being completely separate. There's always something that joins them, and it's incredible to read. As well as being introduced to Hallie, we're also introduced to Tasha, Rory, Flo, and Zander, a fabulous bunch of people, all with their troublesome lives. Each of Jill's characters in turn were all destined to be involved with Hallie one way or another, and I think I read the majority of the story with baited breath, trying to read between the lines and pick up on the clues. As usual, Jill's characters were likeable and so easy to relate to. I found that Hallie's medical condition added a depth of seriousness to the story which I've never really found in Jill's previous novels, so that was something new! 

As the plot began to progress, I found myself becoming more and more intrigued, by the characters and by the events that took place. The whole book had a sort of homely feel to it, and I felt comfortable amid the colourful cast of characters that Jill provided me with. I enjoyed switching between narratives, finding that Hallie's was probably my favourite to read. I desperately wanted something good to happen for her, and it really broke my heart when she began to feel worse than ever in one part of the book. The ending was absolutely fantastic and so, so emotional!

Becca's Books is rating Three Amazing Things About You by Jill Mansell with FIVE GORGEOUS CUPCAKES! A beautiful, beautiful story full of fabulous characters and twisting, turning lives that will you feeling breathless, and at complete mercy of fate. You really don't know what's around the corner, that much is true!




  





2 comments :

  1. I read this at the weekend and I loved it, too!! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very tricky to combine so many characters so would be interesting to see how JM works this one out in the end. Deffo one for the 'to read' list I think!

    ReplyDelete