Frozen Charlotte by Alex Bell

"I play the game and then ask the dolls when we can play again."


Title - Frozen Charlotte
Author - Alex Bell
Publication Date - 1st October 2014
Publisher - Stripes Publishing
Format - eBook (Self purchased/Amazon UK)
Pages - 352

The blurb

Dunvegan School for Girls has been closed for many years. Converted into a family home, the teachers and students are long gone. But they left something behind... Sophie arrives at the old schoolhouse to spend the summer with her cousins. Brooding Cameron with his scarred hand, strange Lillias with a fear of bones and Piper, who seems just a bit too good to be true. And then there's her other cousin. The girl with a room full of antique dolls. The girl that shouldn't be there. The girl that died.

Becca's thoughts 

At the time of purchase, Frozen Charlotte by Alex Bell was free on Amazon UK. I'd spotted a couple of my blogger friends tweeting about it, and because I'd just finished a book, I decided, on a whim, to give it a read. I've never read anything by Alex Bell before now, nor do I make a habit of buying books centred around creepy little dolls that can talk and giggle and stick needles in people's eyes, but, after finishing chapter one, it became clear to me that I was going to get through this book with a racing heart, whether I liked it or not. 

Before the story really gets going, Alex Bell takes us all the way back to the year of 1910, to a time when Dunvegan School for Girls is still very much open and the girls are playing with their Frozen Charlotte dolls (which, by the way, are REAL and can be googled!). This is the very first time that we're introduced to the evil and the nastiness of the dolls. We're made fully away of what these dolls are capable of, and let me tell you readers, it is one of the eeriest, creepies books that I have read in a very, very long time.

After that, we're brought right back to the modern day, where we're introduced to Sophie and her best friend Jay. If being taken back to 1910 when a group of schoolgirls were hosting funerals for their Frozen Charlotte dolls wasn't already creepy enough, then the fact that Jay has just downloaded an Ouijja board app onto his phone just makes that creepiness so much worse! From there on, Sophie is taken on a terrifying trip through the past, alongside her cousins in the old schoolhouse from all of those years before which is their home. 

I don't think I have read a book quite as disturbing as this one for a very long time. I mean, they're just dolls, for God's sake... so I have no idea why on earth I lay there in bed, blinking around myself in the darkness and trying to reassure myself that nothing, nothing at all, was going to happen. Well, I do have an idea as to why that happened, and that's mainly due to Alex Bell's absolutely spot on, shiver-inducing writing style, and INCREDIBLY unnerving descriptions. Alex wrote this book so well, it felt real to me on a number of occasions. Every sense was played upon; sight, sound, smell... It was vivid and eerie, and sitting in bed, being the only one in the house still awake, I really began to scare myself. These dolls, with their ability to talk and giggle and basically just be completely repulsive, really wriggled right inside of my head and had me paranoid until I finally managed to fall asleep. 

Alex's characters were all so brilliantly put together, each with their unique personality and characteristics. The story behind the Frozen Charlotte dolls, along with the Frozen Charlotte ballad, just played on and on in my mind, even when I wasn't reading the book. It freaked me out to no end, and if I never see a doll again in my life, I will be very happy indeed. 

Becca's Books is rating Frozen Charlotte by Alex Bell with four gorgeous cupcakes! Although cupcakes seem a little ridiculous to be rating this book with. Ghosts or dolls probably would have been more fitting. Alex, this was a brilliant story, and I do hope to read more of the Red Eye series whenever I have the chance!







1 comment :

  1. Totally agree that this is a freaky read, but very well written! I thought I could guess the upcoming plot twists but I was wrong every time. Highly recommend to read, but only with the lights on!

    ReplyDelete