The Perfect Retreat by Kate Forster

If she had learned anything from life at Middlemist, it was to never take those you love for granted.


Title - The Perfect Retreat
Author - Kate Forster
Publication Date - 14th March 2013
Publisher - Avon 
Format - eBook (Self-purchased)
Pages - 401

The blurb

Can you live on alone?

Willow Carruthers - British Oscar winner, style icon and mother of three is facing a crisis: she's broke, discovery of her partner's infidelity has left her a single mother and, if the banks have their way, she's about to be homeless. 

Meanwhile nanny to Willow's children Kitty, is desperate to keep her job and knows just the place they can retreat to - her crumbling ancestral home in the Bristol countryside, Middlemist House. 

To both women in their hour of need, the idea of leaving LA seems brilliant in theory, until Kitty's brother Merritt returns home unannounced. 

Becca's thoughts

The Perfect Retreat by Kate Forster was, in my eyes, exactly that. A perfect retreat, and an incredible dose of escapism. Each time I returned to my Kindle to continue onwards with my reading of this book, I was whisked away to the world in which Kate's fabulous characters lived, and to the beauty of Middlemist House. To me, this felt like that true, genuine, enjoyable chick-lit that I fell head over heels in love with years ago, and I cannot put into words how much I enjoyed it, although that won't stop me from trying! Let me tell you exactly why I loved The Perfect Retreat by Kate Forster.

In a quick, brief nutshell, The Perfect Retreat focuses on a number of different main characters, those including Willow, Kitty, Merritt and Ivo. As well as the story focusing on Middlemist House, Kate also allows us to follow the progress of Willow. It's revealed that Willow has had a difficult time of it, and is now being kicked out of her home due to debt as well as separating from her cheating husband Kerr. Her nanny, Kitty, who is absolutely devoted to Willow's children, knows exactly the place where they can retreat to, away from the prying eyes of the paparazzi, and this is where Middlemist House comes into the story. From there on, Willow's live tangles up with Kitty's, Merritt's (Kitty's brother), and a whole load of chaotic showbiz that Willow needs to get back onto her feet, including Middlemist House being the setting for a film. Crazy, crazy times indeed!

Kate's characters in The Perfect Retreat were absolutely sensational! Not once did I find myself confused about who was who, which I find is normally the case for me when it comes to so many characters in one book. Each of these characters were in-depth and so believable that they really brought this story to life. I loved the fact that the narrative changed regularly, meaning that I was given a perspective from all different angles, including Willow's children at one point. There was a gorgeous contrast between Willow and her children's nanny Kitty, and I loved how the relationship between these two changed as the story progressed. At first, there was an obvious divide between the two of them, employer and employee, but once at Middlemist House, the home seemed to work its magic and thaw even the coldest of hearts. It was beautiful to watch how things changed over the course of the book, and once I'd finished, I realised that the house really did have powers beyond that of providing its occupants with warm rooms and crackling fires. Kate's writing style and language seemed to me to be genuine, even including a few naughty curses which never go amiss in a book in my opinion, and it flowed effortlessly, meaning I was able to finish this book in not time at all. There was the perfect amount of twists and turns included in the plot, making my reading of The Perfect Retreat extremely enjoyable and super exciting, and I can't forget hilarious at times! But at the same time, it was emotional, tender, and dealt with some serious matters of the heart. Families, divorces, cheating husbands, new romances. It was just spot on, and held everything that I adore to read about.

Becca's Books is rating The Perfect Retreat by Kate Forster with FIVE GORGEOUS CUPCAKES! Nothing in the world would have kept me from turning the pages of this story (or, in my case, tapping the screen of my kindle.) I felt completely and utterly absorbed within this book, and would definitely recommend to any romance/chick-lit lovers out there, who love their books with a tiny side of drama and laughs, too. Oh, and the cover? Absolutely STUNNING! 




  

   






Post a Comment