His Other Life by Beth Thomas ~ BLOG TOUR!

'You can never be too suspicious.'


Title - His Other Life
Author - Beth Thomas
Publication Date - 12th March 2015 (Kindle Edition)
26th March 2015 (Paperback)
Publisher - Avon 
Format - Paperback (Provided via publisher)
Pages - 400

The blurb

He was hiding a terrible secret...

Grace's new husband Adam seems like the perfect package. Good looking, great job, completely charming - almost too good to be true...

So when Adam suddenly disappears from Grace's life, she is left bewildered and heartbroken. And with a lot of unanswered questions. 

As she tries desperately to find him, Grace opens a Pandora's Box of secrets and lies - and starts to learn that Adam wasn't so perfect after all. 

What shameful secrets was her husband hiding? Is Grace in danger? And can she survive the truth? However terrible it may be...

Becca's thoughts

For this review, I want to take you right back to the beginning. Obviously I'm not talking years and years ago to when dinosaurs were roaming the earth, more like a couple of weeks or so ago. Back to when the fabulous people behind Avon began sending out these very mysterious and very intriguing pink packages... 


It arrived looking like a very average box. Brown, cardboard, addressed to me. After opening the box up, I found a pink bag, with a slip of paper sat on top of it.

'Do you want to know the truth?' this piece of paper asked me...

Hell YES I wanted to know the truth! I didn't realise until a few moments after that, that this pink bag was actually padlocked shut, preventing me from getting my grabby little hands on whatever was hidden away inside. GAH! Frustration! So of course, Avon proceeded to torture me for a while longer, until eventually, I was given the code and eagerly un-padlocked my way towards whatever was inside. In the pink bag was my very own gorgeous proof copy of His Other Life as well as a box of teabags, aptly called 'Truth Tea'. By this point, I was practically climbing the walls with my excitement to begin reading, and now that I have finished this book, I can happily report that His Other Life was completely and utterly worth the wait.

Ever since reading Beth's debut novel Carry You, I have been eagerly anticipating the release of her next book. Little did I know back then that I was going to really get into my book-blogging and be lucky enough to be invited along for Beth's His Other Life blog tour and even be sent my very own gorgeous copy! Carry You had me giggling to such an extent that my sides hurt, and it left such a lasting impression on me of Beth and her writing, I made sure that I didn't forget the author, and kept up to date with her bookish news, keeping my eyes peeled for the announcement of her next novel. 

So anyway (I'm getting way off track here), I read the blurb of His Other Life and, despite it sounding nothing like Beth's debut novel Carry You, I just know, hand on heart, that this was going to be a corker. Was I right? Was I EVER!!! Let me tell you why I adored His Other Life by the fabulous Beth Thomas. 

First of all, THAT COVER! The first time I spotted it (and that was way, waaaay before I'd heard anything of being sent a proof copy), I was immediately charmed by the thought of what story lay hidden behind the image on the cover. Take a good look at it, bookworms... Aren't you just dying to know what's concealed within that box? Before I had even read the blurb of the book, I wanted to crawl into the cover, sit beside that woman, and take a good look into the box, too. It screamed numerous things at me. Secrets, mysteries, lies, shock and surprise, and those are but a few of the things that I adore to discover when reading. Now, I know you shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but in this instance (as well as many others, oops!), I am guilty as charged. 

As soon as I began reading, I was overjoyed to see that Beth's writing style hadn't changed a single bit, and was very much still the same as when I read Carry You. His Other Life was an entirely new premise, but Beth's witty, entertaining style was still in play, and it had me chuffed to bits. Dashes of sarcasm here and there, humour used just right when the plot began to get heavy with drama, and overall, it satisfied me, as a reader, completely. I'm sure for Beth, writing His Other Life really gave her imagination a stretch of its legs. The whole idea behind this novel, the secrets, the mysteries, the unknown, worked so well with me, and I feel that Beth achieved it fantastically well. It had my mind whirring with countless possibilities, and I just could not wait to find out the truth behind Beth's characters, and just what in God's name was going on!

Beth's heroine Grace was such a brilliant character, and because of her personality and attitude, I couldn't help but to feel as if we were figuring out the mystery behind the so-called "perfect husband" together. Adam, on the other hand, made no sense to me whatsoever. As soon as Beth introduced me to him, it just felt like there was something fishy going on. As Grace relayed the ins and outs of their relationship, mentioned the small things about Adam that had sometimes had Grace wondering who he truly was, I knew immediately that there was so much more to Adam than met the eye. The action pretty much happened right at the very beginning of the book, pulling in me instantly, and from that point on, I was hooked. 

I raced through His Other Life so quickly that I'm surprised wisps of smoke weren't curling up from the pages as they turned over repeatedly. Clues were revealed, bits of information that at first you'd think meant nothing but actually held the key to Adam's disappearance... It was all just SO CAPTIVATING! The further I got into the book, the deeper I fell into the mystery, and it absolutely consumed me, from the inside out. I just couldn't wait for the moment when the truth behind Adam would be revealed. It's safe to say that I was kept guessing almost the entire way through, and it had my mind working away, even when I was away from the book. 

His Other Life by Beth Thomas was addictive, compelling and utterly, utterly mind-bending. I tried, again and again, to imagine what I'd do if I were to find myself in Grace's situation, but I just couldnt! It was thrilling to read of a character who was suddenly confused and honestly didn't have a single explanation as to where her husband had disappeared to. 

Becca's Books is rating His Other Life by Beth Thomas with FIVE GORGEOUS CUPCAKES! This was something different, something eye-opening, and something I could devour like I've never read a book before in my life. Beth Thomas, massive congratulations to you! I've no doubt that this book will be tangling the minds of many readers for a long time! 



Be sure to check out the other fabulous bloggers who are taking part in the #HisOtherLife tour, too!






   

  







2 comments :

  1. Okay, now I HAVE TO get that book. Excellent job on the review without giving anything away (though you make me wish you had!) and congratulations to the author!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic review, I loved this book and I agree with the cover and I've only seen it on screen. Lucky lady seeing it in the flesh x

    ReplyDelete