How it began...

HAPPY WORLD BOOK DAY, BOOKWORMS!

Now, I don't know about you, but World Book Day feels, to me, sort of like a birthday for book lovers all around the world. Vouchers are issued, books are gifted, as well as brought and loved, the kids get dressed up as their favourite bookish characters and, quite simply, it is a wonderfully bookish day! 

I suppose my own story begins all the way back when I was at Primary school. It's not going to begin by saying I loved books from the moment that I was born, or that it's in my blood or anything like that. In fact, I was rubbish at first. Yes, that's right. I was rubbish at reading. My mum came to pick me up after school one day, and was pulled aside by a teacher to say that I wasn't doing as well as the other children. I was struggling, I was falling behind, and simply wasn't grasping the whole reading concept. I went home that afternoon, and Mum sat me down with a book. I can't, to this day, remember which book it was that sparked the flame. The flame that, even now, just under twenty years later, is still roaring away like a furnace. Whatever happened that afternoon, whatever magic spell was cast or whatever was triggered within me, I can't say. But what I do know is that from that moment, I became absolutely obsessed with books, with reading, and with allowing my childlike imagination to run utterly wild. 

As I grew, I went through different stages of loving different books from different genres. It began with Ladybird books, enjoying the likes of The Little Red Hen and Chicken Licken. I then found my way to the Disney Classics, becoming captivated by the princesses and the witches. Fairy-tales and fables followed along at some point. Once I reached secondary school, and was faced with the exciting prospect of the school library, I ravaged the shelves with a hunger that most people have for shopping or fine dining. My eager fingers fell upon the spines of Point Horror books, the Goosebumps collections and all sorts of wonderful stories that I checked out again and again and again. I wonder now, how many books I read, all in all, from that lovely library? The whole building where I lived out the first years of being a teenager has been knocked down now, including that dear old library. It's really sad, because I'm quite a sentimental person, and would have loved to have gone strolling back past it one day, to relive my years there. After that, college and English Literature classes opened up a world of classic books, books I'd never heard of before but quickly fell in love with. Sebastian Faulks and Khaled Hosseini were but a few among them. Stories that wound me up, held me tightly and refused to let go, even long after finishing them. Once college finished, I found my way to women's fiction, which has held a place in my heart for the longest. From Sophie Kinsella to Jill Mansell, I found myself falling head over heels with heroes and heroines alike. Travelling abroad despite not having a passport, living through these characters gave me such a rush, such a thrill! 

 The book-blogging came a long time after my passion for books began. It wasn't even a fully-formed idea when I created Becca's Books. I had no idea what I was doing, or of what I was going to do. I just... I guess I just did it. Then all of a sudden, these fabulous like-minded bookish people began to appear, began to chat to me like we were old-friends, like we hadn't actually just met. More and more of these wonderful people began popping up, and to this day, these wonderful people, some of who I still have never met in person, chat to me, day in, day out. Becca's Books grew, as well as my to-read pile, and before I knew it, I was fully-fledged book blogger. I cannot tell you what I'd be doing now if I didn't have Becca's Books. It sounds ridiculous, but it's something that means so very much to me. It contains all of the books that I've read since beginning, people comment on it, they let me know what they think of my reviews, and honestly? I can't imagine myself without Becca's Books now, or without the countless friends that I have made via books. 

As I type this, I'm sat in bed in my pyjamas with a cup of coffee in my cupcake mug. This year, I received the most amazing news of my life. I was offered a book deal, not for just one book, but for two. Somehow, looking back on that little girl who was told she was falling behind in class, I feel like that day, so long ago, held something very magical and life-changing within it. If my teacher hadn't have mentioned my falling behind in class, my Mum would never have known and would never have sat me down. If she hadn't of sat me down, I don't think I would have realised how beautiful and enchanting books can truly be. How capable they are of making you feel emotions from all corners of your heart. And if I hadn't of realised this beauty of books and reading, and of one losing oneself to the words of an author, I would never have received that call. That phone call that turned my world completely onto it's axis. 

Books are everything. They're all that we need to grow and learn. And in my opinion, if it hadn't have been for those books, I wouldn't be sat here today, with my cup of coffee, working on my #secretitle that will be published this summer. If anyone is to thank for my achievement, well, it has to be books, doesn't it? 


10 comments :

  1. Aww! Sweetheart! I'm crying reading this! Such a lovely post! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Becca! I fully teared up reading this! What a beautiful post :) Books honestly do have healing powers & like you, I have NO IDEA where I'd be without my blog now. As cheesy as it sounds, it saved me at a time where I really needed saving and I am so thankful that books were the reason for me starting it.

    I remember world book day at primary school - I dressed up as Hermione one year and Frodo Baggins the next... Don't ask hahaha!

    Jenny xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely bec brought tears to my eyes reading this such a beautiful post xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful words about books and your connection to them. I'm going to post this one to Twitter. I didn't know about your book deal, so many congratulations! Though I don't always comment and we've never met, I'm very happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can really relate to this x have a fabulous day x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post! Well done your mum, and even more well done to you, both for all the book promotion you've done on this blog and for your own book deal. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous post, I'm tearing up here! I was very similar with issues reading at first. Then dad bought me The Sheep Pig and off I went! I wouldn't be me without books, and my blog, and all the awesome people I've met through book- so I'm there with you and can't wait to cheer you on. Lx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Once again, a fantastic post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Once again, a fantastic post!

    ReplyDelete