The five feelings that I'd bottle up and give to people, if possible.

There are so many beautiful feelings in this world, some fleeting, some which linger on for hours, days, months, years, maybe even eternally. Can you imagine how amazing it would be if we could bottle up those feelings, keep them for a rainy day perhaps, or for a friend in need of a pick-me-up, or for yourself when you're feeling down in the dumps for no particular reason? Perhaps someone who has friend part-way through university who's struggling through, unsure of whether it'll be worth it? Can you imagine if, somewhere else in the world, someone who had already been there and done that, what if they, on graduation day, had bottled up how it had felt? They could then send a bottle of the feeling to the one struggling through, just to show how marvellous they were going to feel once they reappeared at the other end of it, with a degree or two under their belt. 

Since hearing the news in regards to achieving my book deal, my emotions have been on a constant roller-coaster. Happiness, terror, panic, excitement, anxiousness, worry, disbelief... Honestly, I feel like I've been in a mental boxing ring. At the end of each day though, I fall into bed with a smile on my face, because I do believe, for the first time ever, that I'm at a place in life where I'm truly supposed to be. 

Following on from the emotional whirlwind, I was thinking about how hard it is to explain to someone how you feel. I mean, okay, we can use the words 'happy' or 'excited' or 'chuffed' or 'over the moon', but sometimes, I just don't think those words are enough. How I wish I could bottle up how I felt when I received 'the call', or how I felt when my youngest sister was born, or how I felt as a child on Christmas Eve... Words just aren't enough sometimes. I mean, they explain it to a certain degree, but there's just so much more that words can't describe in certain moments during life. 

So, I'm going to share with you my top five feelings that I wish I could bottle up to share with others. You all know which is coming up at no.1, don't you? ;)

1.) The feeling that rushed through me when I received 'the call'.
GAH! Utter, utter disbelief. An overwhelming tsunami-sized wave of wanting to scream my head off, of wanting to race through the streets outside with a flag announcing the incredible news! This feeling, I believe, is how it feels when your dreams come true. I know, it's so ridiculously cheesy, but also very true. Dizzy, breathless, a little unsure of whether it's real or not, hands running through hair, nervous fiddling, grip on phone stupidly tight, time standing still... If I could bottle up exactly how I felt that day (in my imagination it looks like a jar full of sparkles and glitter, with a cork stuck in the top), I'd hand that out to all of the people who are working towards their goal or their dream. The rush, the thrill... I'd give it to people struggling through college, university, exams... If I could give that feeling to people, give them a sprinkle of glitter and taste of how it feels once you get to the top of that hill, I'm certain no one would give up. They'd want that feeling again and again and again. It's one of the best feelings I have ever felt. EVER. 

2.) The feeling of not being able to get to sleep on Christmas Eve. 
I still suffer from this now, but I guess that's because I'm very lucky in that people still like to spoil me. That's probably hugely to do with the fact that I'm still like a bouncy, excitable six-year-old at Christmas, but I also love to spoil others, too. I have six younger siblings, so Christmas for me is the best time of year, especially when surrounded by their infectious glee at the prospect of Santa Clause coming to visit! I think, as we get older and life throws all sorts of boulders at us, the excitement dwindles away slightly for some. Jobs, family issues, relationship issues, health issues... There's a whole lot of stuff that, after a while, really grinds us down. By the time Christmas comes around, for some, there really isn't all that much to look forward to. So, I'd bottle up the excitement of Christmas Eve, that childish, unbridled glee, that fizzle that keeps your body wide awake until past midnight, and hand it out to those who no longer get to feel that. Wouldn't it be fabulous to hand that feeling out to everybody, allow people to feel like a young child again? For just one night, to feel like when they wake up, a magical day waits ahead. I just really like this feeling, okay? 

3.) That fleeting second of pure happiness. 
This little beauty usually comes out of nowhere, completely unannounced, and most of the time, takes you by surprise, but in a good way, of course! I've had this feeling a couple of times. Once, when driving through the countryside on a pretty Spring day. Sunglasses on, music loud... I've had another whilst standing beside the sea, looking out to the distance. I don't know, they just pop up now and again, out of the blue, as if to say, "You're doing just great, don't worry about a thing." I love this feeling, and if I could bottle it up, I totally would. I'd just slip the bottles sneakily into people's bags and coat pockets, so that some day in the future, or whenever they eventually find it, they open it up and are hit with that marvellous feeling. It's a beauty, that's for sure!

4.) That feeling of waking up and knowing that you have the full stretch of a day ahead of you! 
Now, this one is probably only going to work on those who work week in, week out. The ones who are up at stupid o'clock in the morning, and are then back home when it's dark outside. I'd like to bottle this one up and give it to you, to get you through the long hours, to keep you going until your holiday comes around, to put a little luxurious smile on your face! This feeling is awesome, knowing that the whole day and what you do with it is completely in your hands. Here you go, folks! *hands out a bottle* 

5.) My last feeling that I'd like to bottle up and hand out to the world, is the feeling of being loved. It's a glorious one, to say the least, whether it be by your friends, your family, your husband, your boyfriend, your children... It is, without a doubt, one of the best feelings in this world. I'd bottle this one up and share it with those who haven't yet found that special someone, or who don't really have a lot of friends or family around them. I'd give them this to tide them over until that moment actually arrived, because everyone deserves to feel like they're the most special person in the world, whether they're alone or not. 

Well, those are my top five feelings that I wish I could bottle up and give to people. Wouldn't it be brilliant if we could do this? My imagination runs away with me sometimes, but I really like this idea. 

What feelings would you bottle up and share if you could? What would they look like in clear glass bottles? Who would you give them to? 



2 comments :

  1. Lovely blog post!
    Just imagine being able to bottle up certain feelings and being able to use a little bit of them whenever we feel in need of them. It's like certain memories. Sometimes you just want to bottle them up and be able to relive them just as vivid as when you first experienced them.
    I think for me certain feelings are very strongly linked to certain memories.
    There's immediately a few feelings that I can think of worthy of being bottled up.
    1. The intense amount of adrenaline that came with bungee jumping. Especially because I would love to look at it bottled and try to explore all the different feelings that are wrapped up into one.

    2. Being on stage during a dance show.
    When it's just me and the movement, knowing there's an audience (even if you can't quite see them) gives the routine a different meaning. And no matter how nervous or stressed I am before the curtain opens, I feel completely at peace once the music starts.

    3. When my Chinese students ran up to me and called my name or told me they loved me
    &
    4. The feeling of accomplishment that I had when I received my TEFL certificate. Because it's the first time ever I succeeded at something in a long, long time

    5. The feeling I have when I get to travel. A feeling a being free, of having endless possibilities and that the world at that moment is yours to discover. No worries apart from what beauiful new thing you'll discover and who you'll meet that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful blog post, it made me smile! I can only imagine the feeling you had when you received 'the call' -bet you were ecstatic! I wish I could bottle up the feeling I had when I got my degree results and then graduated with my parents smiling away in the audience, it was one of the best days ever.

    Also, completely agree with you about Christmas, I still get really giddy!

    ReplyDelete