Don't Turn Around by Caroline Mitchell

One of the first rules of policing - always ensure you have a point of escape.


Title - Don't Turn Around
Author - Caroline Mitchell
Publication Date - April 24th 2015
Publisher - Bookouture 
Format - eBook (Provided via NetGalley)
Pages - 318

The blurb

You don't know him. But he knows you.

Soon he would be able to touch her, to feel the warmth of her blood. And when the time came, nothing would stop him. 

As D.C. Jennifer Knight investigates a routine stabbing in the quiet town of Haven, she is shocked at what seems like a personal message from beyond the grave. 

When more bodies are found, Jennifer is convinced the killings are somehow linked. What she discovers is more chilling that she could possibly imagine. The murders mirror those of the notorious Grim Reaper - from over twenty years ago. A killer her mother helped convict. 

Jennifer can no longer ignore the personal connection. Is there a copycat killer at work? Was the wrong man convicted? Or is there something more sinister at play...

With her mother's terrifying legacy spiralling out of control, Jennifer must look into her own dark past in a fight not only to stop a killer - but to save herself and those she loves. 

Becca's thoughts

First of all, I'd like to thank the wonderful people behind Bookouture who really are banging out some best-sellers at the moment. I adore being auto-approved for Bookouture's titles on NetGalley, it's super exciting and I feel truly privileged to be able to have their fantastic books at my fingertips in just a matter of seconds, so thanks a billion Bookouture. I also need to thank the author, the superb Caroline Mitchell, for bringing forth Don't Turn Around, which during reading had goosebumps appearing on my skin and caused me to nibble my lip anxiously throughout.

Back in March, I read Paranormal Intruder by Caroline Mitchell (you can read my review here!) and became fascinated with Caroline's writing style and beliefs, as well as her own personal experiences, and so, when I heard the news of the author signing with Bookouture, I was immensely excited to read her debut Bookouture novel Don't Turn Around, which I just knew would be suffused with her grizzly, dark, and dangerously captivating way with words. I'm a lover of anything paranormal/supernatural, and paired with an edgy crime-thriller, I was eager to begin and see what Caroline had in store for me next. 

It's only recently that I took a chance and decided to dip my toes into the crime-thriller genre. I'm much more of a hearts and flowers kinda' girl, rather than murders and detectives, but slowly, gradually, I'm beginning to warm to the genre, much more so after finishing Don't Turn Around. The blurb of Caroline's book caught my attention immediately, especially when I took note of the words, "...she is shocked at what seems like a personal message from beyond the grave." As I continued with the blurb, I couldn't help but to wonder how Jennifer Knight's story would play out, how Caroline would control the plot, how long it would take for certain secrets to be revealed to the reader. It was fast-paced, unsettling, and profusely evil. I was hanging onto the end of Caroline's every word. 

From the get go, Caroline drenches her writing with the tiniest hints of something ugly and threatening about to take place. Her heroine, D.C. Jennifer Knight, was the perfect character to surround with the disturbing plot, mainly because of her uncanny ability to hear voices from beyond the grave. As a brand new case begins to unfold in Haven, Jennifer Knight's skills are stretched to their very limit as gradually, realisation dawns. I absolutely LOVED how Caroline tortured me as I waited for all to be revealed. As I turned page after page, the hunger to crack the code behind the murders and how they were all linked niggled away at me, pushing me onwards, desperate to reach the end where I'd finally be able to breathe easy once more. 

Caroline not only switched the narrative in Don't Turn Around, but she also took me back in time, too. Back to a time before Jennifer's, and to a time when Jennifer's mother was dealing with quite a similar series of murders. There is nothing I love more than being able to step back in time, and allowing the author to build an entirely new world for me to peer around at. Caroline had such a talent when it came to revealing something, and then holding back, leaving me dying for more. Each case held something new and mysterious, something treacherous but at the same time gripping. I wanted to look away, but I just couldn't. It sounds ridiculous but I felt that if I were to put the book down, I'd somehow miss out on something... I was petrified that the story would continue without me there to experience it!

Veiled in unseen danger and untouchable panic, Don't Turn Around was absolutely fascinating. With a brilliant cast of crime characters, and a plot that was enough to make me feel dizzy, this was a compelling book that I just couldn't get enough of. Every word, every page, every murder, every guess... I couldn't wait for the final piece of the jigsaw to fit into place so that I could finally lay my eyes on the full picture. And WHAT A FINAL PICTURE it was! 

Becca's Books is awarding Don't Turn Around by Caroline Mitchell with FIVE GRIZZLY CUPCAKES! The word 'thrilling' just doesn't do this justice. 












4 comments :

  1. Wow, I'm thrilled with this excellent review for Don't Turn Around, thanks Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is shouting at me from my kindle to read next, and after this review I think I definitely will be - it sounds brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great review, it is a fab book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies, today has been an amazing publication day, I'm so grateful to know so many fab bloggers, authors and readers! :-)

    ReplyDelete