How I Lost You by Jenny Blackhurst

It won't be over until I find out who's doing this to me.



Title - How I Lost You
Author - Jenny Blackhurst
Publication Date - 23rd April 2015 (Paperback)
Publisher - Headline
Format - Paperback (Provided via publisher)
Pages - 352

The blurb

They told her she killed her son. She served her time. But what if they lied? 

I have no memory of what happened but I was told I killed my son. And you believe what your loved ones, your doctor and the police tell you, don't you? My name is Emma Cartwright. Three years ago I was Susan Webster, and I murdered my twelve-week-old son, Dylan. I was sent to Oakdale Psychiatric Institute for my crime, and four weeks ago I was released early on parole with a new identity, address and a chance to rebuild my tattered life. This morning, I received an envelope addressed to Susan Webster. Inside it was a photograph of a toddler called Dylan. Now I am questioning everything I believe because if I have no memory of the event, how can I truly believe he's dead? 

If there was the smallest chance your son was alive, what would you do to get him back? 

Becca's thoughts 

I'd like to begin my review by thanking the lovely Georgina for sending across a proof copy of How I Lost You by Jenny Blackhurst in exchange for a fair and honest review. Just lately, I've been becoming a serious fan of psychological thrillers, so I could not wait to get my hands on How I Lost You. After reading the blurb, I was intrigued as to how the plot would play out, and incredibly eager to get started. 

Once I'd begun, I could tell that How I Lost You was going to be one hell of a ride from the first page to the last. Right from the get go, it was clear that something strange and unusual was happening to Jenny's heroine Emma (previously Susan Webster) and so, my curiosity was immediately piqued. As the plot progressed, I found myself looking forward to each clue being unveiled. The circumstances which surrounded Emma and her son Dylan were mysterious and not entirely known, which was brilliant for me, as a reader, because it ensured that I continued reading just to find out more. Not only was I mystified by everything that was happening, but there was a certain eeriness to what was going on. The sort of eeriness that was capable of sending a few slight shivers up and down my spine. Quite frankly, I think Jenny did a fantastic job of pulling the reader in and drowning them in the suffocating seriousness of the book. 

Not only did Jenny focus on Emma's point of view, but she also took the reader back in time. As much as I loved this, I did find myself becoming confused with a few of the characters that popped up from the past. I tried my best to become familiar with each of them, but a few times I did flounder with trying to remember the separate circumstances of each character. That said, it was thrilling to figure out where the entire reasoning for the story itself stemmed from. It was incredibly interesting to see how a certain part from the past linked with Emma and Dylan's future, so I couldn't wait to see how the author tied it all up once the book came to an end. There was just the right amount of mystery and intrigue within the book, keeping me interested right the way through, and a huge explosion of action just before the smoke cleared near the end of the book. 

I thoroughly enjoyed How I Lost You by Jenny Blackhurst, the tenseness and darkness worked so well together and really held me captive, refusing to let go. The plot was such a twisting, turning spiral and held so many hidden secrets that I couldn't wait to figure each of them out as the story progressed. Jenny's characters were fantastic, so well put together and capable of holding the reader's attention, and the turn of events had me reeling. 

Becca's Books is awarding How I Lost You by Jenny Blackhurst with four gorgeous cupcakes! A fantastic book that will clutch at your shoulders and refuse to let you go. Well done, Jenny!   











Post a Comment