It Started at Sunset Cottage by Bella Osborne

"This lot are staying at the pub but you and I have Sunset Cottage to ourselves for the night."


Title - It Started at Sunset Cottage
Author - Bella Osborne
Publication Date - February 12th 2015
Publisher - HarperCollins UK, HarperImpulse
Format - eBook (Self-purchased) 
Pages - 390

The blurb

Kate Marshall is slowly getting her life back on track after losing her fiancé. As an author she has been able to hide herself away from the world and its expectations - but now one of her books has been optioned for a film and Hollywood suddenly comes knocking on her door!

When Kate is given the opportunity to stay at a beautiful country retreat and concentrate on the screenplay, it's an offer she can't refuse. Encouraged by her best friend, sharp-tongued single mum Sarah, Kate sees it's finally time to stop letting life pass her by. 

Looking for confidence and inspiration in the countryside in the idyllic Cotswolds countryside, the last thing Kate expects is for Timothy Calder, A-list actor and leading man in the movie adaptation of her book, to turn up on her doorstep, hoping to lie low after his latest tabloid scandal! But after a rocky start, with Tim narrowly avoiding death by watering can, they find they have a few things in common: a liking for Lady grey tea, walnut whips and bad 'knock knock' jokes. Actually, the bad jokes are just Tim.

As an unlikely friendship begins to blossom, and with circumstances repeatedly throwing them together, is Sunset Cottage where both Kate and Tim's lives will really start?

Becca's thoughts   

I won't lie to you book lovers, the cover of Bella Osborne's It Started at Sunset Cottage was the very thing that drew me to this book. I love anything that's pink, cute, adorable, and Bella's cover fell into that category immediately. The colours, the image of the charming cottage, the swirly font and the flowers all came together to create the perfect cover in my eyes, and because of that, I couldn't wait to read what was behind it. I know they say that you should never judge a book by it's cover, but I just couldn't help myself when it came to It Started at Sunset Cottage, and I'll hold my hands up freely and admit to it.

For starters, Bella had me giggling within the very first chapter of her book. It opened with a very serious, very sombre tone, placing me right at the scene of a funeral. It didn't take long for Bella to tickle my sides when I realised that it was, indeed, a funeral that was taking place, but a funeral for a hamster. Just from this small amount of text, I knew that I was in for a treat with the rest of Bella's book. Her humorous, engaging writing style spurred me on throughout the rest of It Started at Sunset Cottage. 

Bella's characters in It Started at Sunset Cottage were fantastic, although I felt at times that perhaps I didn't know them well enough. Kate, a writer and recently widowed, has been offered a once in a lifetime opportunity to have one of her books turned into a movie, which leads to her meeting the gorgeous Timothy Calder who will be playing the leading male role in the movie adaptation. There was a fabulous chemistry between Kate and Timothy, that I constantly looked forward to seeing again and again, and I seriously enjoyed reading about the numerous actors and actresses who Kate met when on set. It was a gorgeous world that had been opened up to her, full of famous faces and diva actresses, and the atmosphere felt as if were buzzing each and every time. Kate's best-friend, Sarah, single-mum, had a life that contrasted beautifully with Kate's. Rather than dealing with stroppy actresses, she was dealing with her stroppy arse of an ex, instead. Belle does a fantastic job of sneaking in a gloriously mysterious aspect to this ex, and I found myself trying to figure out what exactly he was up to. I took a serious disliking to the man, and really couldn't wait for him to bugger off, but when Bella dropped a huge twist into the plot, I was hooked! Things turned upside down and I just couldn't wait to see how it would all play out. 

I found It Started at Sunset Cottage to be a seriously entertaining read, and loved the relationships between the main characters and some of the secondary characters, too! It was a lovely, light-hearted story, and Sunset Cottage was just one of the many things that I loved about. Becca's Books is awarding It Started at Sunset Cottage by Bella Osborne with FOUR DELICIOUS CUPCAKES! I'm still giggling away about that first chapter! ;)



  









Post a Comment