Samantha Tonge & I talk Game of Scones ~BLOG TOUR STOP!

Today on Becca's Books, I'm delighted to be chatting to the fabulous Carina author Samantha Tonge about her latest book release Game of Scones. 


Samantha, I'd just like to take a moment to thank you for joining me on the blog today! Without further ado, let's get started! 

B ~ Samantha, sweet delicious treats are a "thing" of yours, aren't they? Can you tell us where your love of baking originates from? Have you always been a lover of cupcakes and scones? 

S ~ My mother did a lot of baking when I was a child - all the staples like rice pudding, tarts, pies and suet sponges. When she became a midday supervisor at a primary school, mum would bring home the recipes to try out - yum! I always baked with her and have fond memories of licking out the mixing bowl and decorating the Christmas cake. So I guess some of the inspiration for the sweet treats in my book comes from her. And yes, I have ALWAYS loved cupcakes and scones!

B ~ In your latest release, Game of Scones, the story is set in a stunning Greek island fishing village known as Taxos. Samantha, have you ever been to Greece? Where did your inspiration come from for your setting? 

S ~ I've been the Greece twice - once with a group of girlfriends, and then on my honeymoon. I have strong memories of the sea breeze, bustling nightlife, aromatic restaurants and clear, tropical-looking waters... I think the Greek islands offer one of the most romantic settings in the world and as a romance writer, find the azure sea, white sands and quaint buildings very inspiring. 

B ~ What sort of characters can we expect to meet in Game of Scones

S ~ The heroine is an independent career woman, Pippa, who is torn between her head and heart. She has great logical, business acumen but at the same time loves reading slushy romance novels. Niko, a rather sexy Greek fisherman, is a friend from her childhood, with mocha eyes, caramel skin and an enormous sense of loyalty to his family and Taxos, the village where he lives. Half-dutch, six foot four Henrik is Pippa's suave, property developer boyfriend, who makes the local Greek ladies swoon with his Hollywood looks - yet, he has a ruthless side that soon emerges...

B ~ Did a lot of research go into creating your fourth novel? 

S ~ A fair bit of research - I like to get the detail of my settings spot on, for example exactly how local flowers smell and when they bloom... My OCD side can make the research process take longer than it should! I also needed to research property development, but no, apart from that this story more or less spilled onto the page. 

B ~ Do you have a particular writing process? Any hints or tips for other writers that work well for you? 

S ~ I am lucky enough to write full-time, so I start at 8am, often still in my dressing gown, and might stop at 10.30am for breakfast, having tried to fit in a quick bath in between. I then juggle the rest of the day with domestic responsibilities and work on social media (I call it work, anyway) My piece of advice would be to just get started. Don't worry about the quality of the first draft - rewriting and editing are for the fine-tuning. 

B ~ What's your favourite writing accompaniment? Chocolate? Cake? A nice cup of tea? 

S ~ Ooh, cake and biscuits, definitely, and consequently my keyboard is always covered in crumbs. Donuts are the worst as the sugar gets everywhere and leave your fingers sticky! Is it any wonder I always put on over half a stone when writing the first draft of a book... 

B ~ How are you hoping readers will feel whilst reading Game of Scones? 

S ~ I am hoping readers will feel the romance of the relationships in Game of Scones and of the setting - that they'll enjoy being whisked away to a Greek island to spent time with two rather hot heroes. I hope they'll become as fond of the characters and of the little village Taxos, as I have and that their mouths will water at the descriptions of the scones. 

B ~ Now that Game of Scones is out in the world with readers, how are you feeling? 

S ~ I'm always a little nervous when one of my babies goes out into the big wide world. For some reason I am particularly fond of this book, and am keeping my fingers crossed that readers feel the same. 

B ~ How do you deal with negative reviews, and what are your thoughts on the book-blogging community? 

S ~ I don't mind negative reviews, as long as they are not spiteful nor personal. Everyone has a right to give their verdict on a story they have paid good money for. In fact sometimes a bad review proves to be really useful - I always read them with an open mind, and if I agree, will take on board the criticism. I'm grateful to anyone who bothers to review, especially all the generous, kind book-bloggers like yourself, who give up their free time to help us writers promote our work. 

B ~ Have you started work on your next novel? If so, can you tell us anything about it? 

S ~ I have started my Christmas novel and it is completely bonkers! I don't want to say too much at this stage but I am thrilled that my editor has approved the idea. I am chuckling just thinking about it!

B ~ Any parting comments, Samantha? 

S ~ Thanks so much for having me here, Becca, I've really enjoyed answering the questions, and if anyone buys Game of Scones, I really hope you enjoy it. Please do post any photos on Twitter if it inspires you to do a little baking! xxx

Samantha, it has been an absolute pleasure having you here on Becca's Books, and I'm super looking forward to losing myself in Game of Scones! Who can refuse a free holiday to a Greek fishing island?! ;)

~ Author Bio ~


Samantha lives in Cheshire with her lovely family and two cats who think they are dogs. Along with writing, her days are spent cycling, willing cakes to rise and avoiding housework. A love of fiction developed as a child, when she was known for reading Enid Blyton books in the bath. A desire to write bubbled away in the background whilst she pursued other careers, including a fun stint working at Disneyland Paris. Formally trained as a linguist, Samantha now likes nothing more than holing herself up in the spare room, in front of the keyboard. Writing romantic comedy novels and short stories is her passion. 

Samantha has sold over 80 short stories to mainstream women's magazines. Her debut romantic comedy novel from CarinaUK Harlequin, bestselling "Doubting Abbey", was shortlisted for the Festival of Romance Fiction best eBook award, 2014. Its fun sequel is "From Paris With Love". Mistletoe Mansion is a fun standalone Christmas novel. 

You can find Samantha Tonge on Facebook | Twitter | samanthatonge.co.uk

You can find Game of Scones on Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US



   



Post a Comment