Silent Scream by Angela Marsons

Even the greatest minds occasionally made errors.


Title - Silent Scream 
Author - Angela Marsons 
Publication Date - 20th February 2015
Publisher - Bookouture 
Format - eBook (Self-purchased)
Pages - 307

The blurb

Even the darkest secrets can't stay buried forever...

Five figures gather round a shallow grave. They had all taken turns to dig. An adult-sized hole would have taken longer. An innocent life had been taken but the pact had been made. Their secrets would be buried, bound in blood...

Years later, a headmistress is found brutally strangled, the first in a spate of gruesome murders which shock the Black Country. 

But when human remains are discovered at a former children's home, disturbing secrets are also unearthed. D.I. Kim Stone fast realises she's on the hunt for a twisted individual whose killing spree spans decades. 

As the body count rises, Kim needs to stop the murderer before they strike again. But to catch the killer, can Kim confront the demons of her own past before it's too late? 

Becca's thoughts

I'd like to begin my review of Silent Scream by Angela Marsons by first saying a HUUUGE thank you to the lovely people over at Bookouture. Excitingly, I'm auto-accepted for their fantastic titles, which never, ever fails to astound me, so once I'd found Silent Scream, all I needed to do was hit 'send' and start reading on my Kindle. IT'S LIKE MAGIC! Of course, I also need to thank the author, Angela Marsons, for actually writing Silent Scream, and for being capable of dragging me away from hearts and romance for just a short while (I read this book like my life depended on it so it didn't take long to finish at all), and into a world full of crime and cops and mysteries and twists. It was a thrill ride for me, something new and unusual in regards to genre, and I just couldn't-get-enough. I have, in the past, given up on a crime/thriller book half-way in, because I just couldn't get to grips with the terminology and the different aspects being touched upon, but Angela's style, her characters, and the intriguing, winding plot all came together to create a story worthy of keeping you awake until well past midnight and of minutes spent trying, aimlessly, to fit the pieces together.

One of the many reasons as to why Silent Scream is a winner for me is all down to Angela's kick-ass heroine D.I Kim Stone. One hell of a woman, with a passion for motorbikes (which I'm sure would have most men falling at their knees), and one incredibly clever mind. She was sarcastic, fiery, determined, and never failed to go with her intuition, even when told not to. When the mysteries begin unravelling within the plot, the reader becomes aware of Kim's past, which ties in beautifully with the present case that Kim and the team are dealing with. Kim's past also becomes the force behind her unstoppable need to figure out exactly what happened all those years ago. I utterly adored Kim's mental abilities, her instinctive nature and, at a few rare moments, her kind heart. It was evident that Kim wasn't a cold-hearted woman, despite the armour that she wore, and this just made me love her all the more. Kim kicked ass throughout the entirety of the book, and even put herself in danger so that she could grab hold of the missing ends of the string that would eventually tie together into a neat bow above the plot. Really, loving Kim's character this much meant that I truly cared about where Angela took the story and what would happen to Kim. I respected her for the way she worked, but I also felt like perhaps, her ferocity kept her mind from wandering off down other roads. Angela ensured that Kim was complex, but no complex that it was impossible to figure her out. Just the perfect amount of secrecy and mystery surrounded Kim, and I knew that once these walls that she'd build around herself finally fell away, the person within would be fantastic, and that she was, readers. That she frickin' was. The team that surrounded Kim whilst they worked at the case were truly brilliant, especially Bryant, her right hand man who accompanied her to most places throughout the book. Is it ridiculous of me to say that I really hoped they'd get together in the end? Hahaha! That's obviously my old-romantic heart bursting through. Bryant, though, was married with a family, but himself and the rest of the team were absolutely, one-hundred percent, dedicated to their jobs. I found the atmosphere between them once in their office overseeing the case details was one of true friendship. They worked so effortlessly well, and, to my delight, teased Kim, and got lashed right back by Kim's sharp tongue. The banter, I think, added a lovely hint of lightness to the tone of the book when perhaps things maybe got a little too heavy. There was a real camaraderie between the team, and watching them come together when circumstances called for it, I don't know... It just felt good. Like I was even part of the team myself. Angela could not have done a better job of her characters even if she'd wanted to. Even her secondary characters, who weren't as prominent within the book, I felt like I knew them and I was always aware that they were there in the background, working hard at cracking the case, even when they were not present physically. 

The plot itself only ever thickened as the book progressed. Flanked by D.I. Kim Stone and Bryant, I felt like I was safe enough to step into the unknown territory. I loved the sheer heaviness of the tone, the silence as I read only added to the terrific atmosphere, of waiting to see what the team would find out next, because I knew that they would. Kim's determination awed me right the way through, and it wasn't long until my eagerness was straining at the leash. Twists and turns galore, with a dark and unstoppable force hidden behind them, it truly was a book that had the power to raise goosebumps on your skin. Right from the very beginning, I was hooked, and knew it wouldn't take me long to finish at all. The outcome of the crime that had been committed remained ever-present in the back of my mind throughout reading, and so did the niggle to to find out what had truly happened. 

Not only does Angela allow readers to read from Kim Stone's perspective, but throughout the book, we're given the story from a soon-to-be victim's point of view, too. I loved these switches of narrative, and found myself itching to find out who would be next on the killer's list. It was like a game of hide and seek. Thrillingly scary, I read these parts with baited breath, and only released once it was over and we were back with Kim Stone. Another FANTASTIC aspect was that Angela also included small snippets from the killer's narrative, too. I know, right? Frickin' insane! But incredibly interesting, and made my skin crawl. I was always left wondering who he/she was, how they were connected to the crime somehow, and Angela left me hanging right the way through, teasing with hints and secrets throughout the book that drove me wild. 

Honestly bookish beauts, this book held me right in the very palm of it's hand. Not only were there victims within the book, but I was also victim to the epic abilities of the author to reel in the reader and leave them there, helpless but desperate to find out more and more and MORE! I've never much enjoyed crime/thriller books before, but this one was just... crazily, crazily HARROWING! With murders and crime and suspects, it truly was one hell of a ride that has only left me wanting to read Angela's next book in the series ASAP! ARGH! My only regret is that I didn't read it sooner, because believe me folks, this is one hell of a book that will you gobsmacked. 

Becca's Books is awarding Silent Scream by the brilliant Angela Marsons with FIVE OF MY GORGEOUS CUPCAKES! From back to front, this was a pulse-raiser, a Kindle-gripper, and a real nail-biter. Bookouture, thanks so much for providing me with my copy, and Angela, roll on the next book in the D.I. Kim Stone series! 



You can also pre-order the second book in the D.I. Kim Stone series Evil Games 



     



    


2 comments :

  1. Couldn't agree more with this fab review! I'm not usually a crime/thriller reader either but as soon as I picked this up I couldn't put it down and I absolutely loved it - I'm so glad it lived up to, and exceeded, all the hype around it! Can't wait for Evil Games and to see what else is in store for Kim Stone.
    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent review! I'm definitely going to have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete