Bride Without A Groom by Amy Lynch ~ BLOG TOUR!

It's time to face the harsh reality. I'm a bride without a groom.


Title - Bride without a Groom
Author - Amy Lynch
Publication Date - May 7th 2015
Publisher - Avon
Format - eBook (Provided via publisher)
Pages - 241

The blurb

Single, coupled-up or married, this laugh-out-loud summer read is the perfect anecdote for the wedding season!

Rebecca has chosen the most luscious, five-tiered, wedding cake. The engagement ring that she has selected is celebrity inspired. The wedding singer is on speed dial. He doesn't usually do Michael Bolton, but as it's for a first dance he'll make an exception. Father Maguire is checking dates for the parish church as we speak. The deposit on the white sand honeymoon is paid for in full on Barry's card. She has fallen for an ivory lace couture gown that is to die for. The down payment may require her to sell a left kidney, but it will be worth it. Isn't that why you have two?

There's one teeny tiny problem. It's nothing, really. No need to panic! It's just that Barry has yet to propose. Says he's not ready! He can be a bit of a kill joy that way. It's time to face the harsh reality - Rebecca is a bride without a groom!

Becca's thoughts

So, before I get into my review of the HILARIOUS Bride without a Groom, I'd like to first thank the wonderful Alice Bland for getting in touch with me in regards to joining in with Amy Lynch's blog tour! I'd had my eye on this title for a while before Alice had emailed. I'd seen Avon shouting about it on Twitter, and it was fair to say that the title and cover definitely caught my attention. So, when I opened up the email and read the invitation for the blog tour, I let out a little whoop!

In Amy Lynch's Bride without a Groom, we meet Rebecca Browne. Now, I'm not quite sure whether I've ever met a character quite like Rebecca before. Something tells me that I haven't. Rebecca is a complete diva, and I'm not using the term lightly here, book folk. She is a diva through and through, and despite not knowing whether myself and Rebecca were going to get along throughout the duration of reading this book, by the end, I didn't really want to say goodbye to her. She is, without a doubt, one of the most entertaining, slightly surreal, over-the-top, sometimes rather stupid, a little bit selfish characters that I've ever come across. There were times during reading when I couldn't quite believe something that Rebecca had said or done, times when I covered my face with my hands and groaned because I wasn't sure what the consequences of her actions were going to be. There were also times where I absolutely laughed out loud, unable to disguise my amusement, and times when I actually felt a bit sorry for Rebecca and her warped fantasies. She was hilarious and made my reading of this book a complete and utter joy!

As the title suggests, Rebecca Browne really does become a bride without a groom. She is obsessed with weddings. In fact, I've never met a character more obsessed with getting married than this one. From the five-tier wedding cake to the Vera Wang dress, Rebecca has strict ideas of what she wants, and exactly how her big day will play out. She has wedding magazines galore, she's already booked the honeymoon and Barry hasn't even proposed, but anyway, she's got it all sorted, so it's fine. Except, Barry, Rebecca's other half, begins to feel slightly overwhelmed with all of the wedding talk. He isn't quite ready yet, and quite frankly, he's beginning to get on Rebecca's nerves. She doesn't understand what it is exactly that Barry is waiting for! Gradually, Barry blows and the two of them end up having an almighty blow-out, right before Barry jets off on a business trip with work, leaving Rebecca alone, drowning in wedding plans.

During Barry's absence, Rebecca goes into meltdown. From her usually glamorous self, she becomes a bit of a slob, feasting on junk food while lounging on the sofa, feeling sorry for herself and pining over Barry. I laughed so much throughout this book, I really cannot even tell you. Amy Lynch has such a smart, witty way with words, passing these along to her character and sprinkling them with the most hilarious humour and sarcasm I've come across in a long time. What I loved was Rebecca's internal monologue. She had the most entertaining thoughts, whether that be about her friend's children, or her boss at work, or the nosey neighbour next door who just couldn't seem to leave her alone and keep her nose out of Rebecca's business. Rebecca wasn't afraid to say what she really thought, and during her time of meltdown, we get to see her interact with her parents and her two best friends as well. Which, again, like the rest of the novel, was absolutely hilarious. 

Something else that bumped up my enjoyment of Bride without a Groom by Amy Lynch was the use of narrative within the book. When with Rebecca, we're reading from her first person narrative, but when with Barry, we're reading from third. I loved this so much, it really separated the two characters. Of course, when the unthinkable happens, it felt brilliant to be able to be all the way over in Bangkok with Barry, when Rebecca was back at home in Dublin, sleeping soundly. I loved pinging back and forth between the two characters. It gave me such a fantastic insight into not only Rebecca, but Barry as a separate character, too.

Bride without a Groom was just brilliant, inside and out. Rebecca was such an enjoyable character to spend time with during my reading of this book, and I honestly couldn't wait to see what the crazy little Dublin diva did next! It was entertaining, funny and so, so different to anything I've read before! 

Becca's Books is awarding the fabulous Bride without a Groom by Amy Lynch with FOUR SCRUMMY CUPCAKE! This is a laugh-out-loud story that will have you giggling away, way past midnight.



Guest post: Amy Lynch: Self Confessed Bridezilla!

The Oxford English Dictionary defines the word Bridezilla as follows: A woman whose behavior in planning the details of her wedding is regarded as obsessive or intolerably demanding.
Now, it wouldn’t be fair of me to take another step before I get a little something off my chest. A teeny confession, if you will. Don’t judge me, OK? You see, I used to have mild bridezilla tendencies. It might explain how I found ‘Bride Without a Groom’ so easy to write. Phew, I feel so much better now that I’ve admitted it! The truth is that ninety nine percent of the female population, at one point or another, has fantasized about what their perfect wedding might look like. And yes, I just completely made up that statistic. Sue me.
You see, for most of us growing up, we dreamed about being a glorious bride one day. It might be because of the brain washing Disney movies we watched over and over, featuring various princesses being rescued by princes whilst singing catchy songs. Or it could have been those bedtime fairy tales, with the happy ever after endings, usually involving wedding bells.
So, in order to complete my admission, I have to fess up to you about the following:

a)    At the tender age of seven, I dressed my Barbie dolls in various white lacy frocks, complete with tiara, and staged my very own dolly wedding, complete with handsome Ken and smiling relatives adorning the aisles. Now, here’s where it gets a little unusual. You see, the Barbie games all involved dramatic, wacky story lines. For example, brunette Cindy often made a scene at the wedding, storming up the aisle, and saying that Barbie had stolen her one true love. Catfights ensued. Often, Barbie bossed the shabbily dressed dolls about, demanding that they add more sequins to her wedding frock that very minute, and pouf her hair just as she likes it. Barbie then went on to have an affair with hunky-six-pack-blond-Malibu-beach Ken after marrying sensible brown-corduroy-trouser Ken. Malibu Ken had the red Ferrari and the pony stables, so go figure. Besides, sensible Ken just didn’t understand her. And Cindy was only jealous of her long flowing hair and flawless curves. With careful self-analysis, I have come to the conclusion that I may have been subjected to an alarming amount of daytime TV dramas such as Dallas and Eastenders. It could explain a lot.

b)    During my childhood, I climbed on my bed to reach the white net curtains, placed them over my head, bridal style. In my innocent mind, I was only gorgeous, and had an uncanny resemblance to Maria from The Sound of Music.
c)    On a loop, I sang ‘One Day My Prince Will Come’ until my sister told me to stick a cork in it, and threw a pillow at my head.
d)    In my teens, I attended a family wedding, closed my eyes, and imagined that it was in fact me, and not the real bride, swishing down the aisle in something dazzling.
e)    In my twenties, I accidentally on purpose guided my boyfriend in the direction of the jeweler’s window, and pointed at the sparklers, hinting heavily. I then graduated to driving him absolutely potty by constantly asking him to propose to me. He did, eventually. Thankfully, he has yet to divorce me, as I am still driving him mad.
f)     During the eighteen months of my engagement, I talked incessantly about wedding dresses, and what kind of bikini I should pack in my honeymoon suitcase.
g)    I’m in my thirties now, and am sad that I’ll never get to be a bride again. Friends of mine feel the same way. We have been known to have a night in, order a Chinese, drink cocktails, climb up to the attic and try on the our wedding dress. This is to relive the glory days, and prove that the dress still fits. We then pout in various poses, take selfies, and text these pictures to our husbands. Sadly, I’m not making this bit up.  
But, sure, everyone woman does these things… don’t they?!

I’m feeling a bit silly now, so I’ll just add, in my defense, that I never crossed over into full blown Bridezilla territory. Rebecca, on the other hand, goes a step too far in ‘Bride Without A Groom’, by booking a priest, wedding dress and honeymoon before she has been proposed to! Sure, it’s no wonder that long suffering Barry has had quite enough. Who could blame him?
So, ladies, I ask you… is there a bridezilla in you? Even just a teeny bit?








  







Post a Comment