Coming Up Roses by Rachael Lucas

"We may think we're tending our garden, but of course it's the garden that is nurturing us."    


Title - Coming Up Roses
Author - Rachael Lucas
Publication Date - 21st May 2015 (eBook & paperback)
Publisher - Pan Macmillan 
Format - Paperback (Provided via author)
Pages - 300

The blurb

Would-be gardening expert Daisy can't believe her luck when her parents announce they're off on a midlife crisis gap year, leaving her in charge of their gorgeous garden, much in need of her expert TLC. And coming just after a break up, some peace and quiet in the countryside is just what she needs. Only, village life turns out to be anything but - with nosey neighbours and greedy developers instantly stirring up trouble. 

What Daisy really needs is a good friend, or two. So when she comes across Elaine and Jo, she's relieved to have multiple shoulders to cry on. But her new friends are dealing with dramas of their own - a marriage in crisis, a family secret and managing the local gossips. 

As Daisy wrestles the garden into something like beautiful order, can she get a grip on her new feelings for handsome Irish rogue George and stop her parents selling up to a developer? 

Becca's thoughts

Coming Up Roses by Rachael Lucas is, by far, the prettiest flower in the bouquet. 

First of all, I'd like to say a HUGE thank you to the absolutely lovely author Rachael Lucas for sending a gorgeous proof of Coming Up Roses my way. I really cannot believe my luck sometimes, especially in regards to receiving the very thing that I love most in the post, and this joyous feeling is only heightened when I know it's a book that I'm extremely, extremely, EXTREMELY looking forward to. So, you can imagine my sheer excitement when I tore open the parcel and found this beauty inside!

There was a real community feel to Coming Up Roses and it smacked me in the face as soon as I began reading. What also became clear to me, from the get go, was that Daisy really didn't want to make friends. Staying at her parents' stunning home, Orchard Villa, Daisy's plans for the foreseeable future consisted of tending their slightly over-run garden and putting her green-fingered knowledge to good use. It felt to me, as well as to Daisy, absolutely perfect, and like the ultimate countryside escape. Steeple St John, the idyllic village where Daisy flees to, was something of a paradise to me. Those rolling green fields and peaceful surroundings made me feel as if I were on holiday myself whilst reading. I was whisked away by Rachael's words, and found myself watching Daisy as she pottered about her parents' garden, trying to whip it back into shape and gathering her scattered thoughts due to what had happened previously, relationship-wise. 

Despite Daisy wanting to keep herself to herself, it wasn't long until the friendly faces of Steeple St John swam into view, tugging Daisy right into the heart of the village. The transition of Daisy's feelings throughout the novel charmed me completely. A number of different issues crop up within the plot, too, and these really emphasised my concern for the characters. I was hoping and praying that they'd be okay, that their lives wouldn't get turned upside down, and the awful, awful property development people didn't get their own way! Among the many friends that Daisy made while in Steeple St John, two women became incredibly close and made Daisy feel less alone, which I think was exactly what she needed. Elaine and Jo seemed to come along at just the right moment within Daisy's story, and to watch their friendships bloom, rather like the flowers that Daisy tends to, was absolutely beauuuutiful! As well as Elaine and Jo, Daisy meets a handful of colourful, engaging characters who only help to bring this story to life in all of it's glorious, vivid, eye-catching beauty, as well as a very pleasing Irishman known as George. 

Of course, every story needs conflict to have the readers gripping the book with tension, and Rachael sure enough includes that within Coming Up Roses. From the previously mentioned property developers who are hoping to snatch Steeple St John's greenery away, to the snobby mum's up the school, Daisy begins to realise that life isn't as peaceful in Steeple St John as it first appeared to be. These problems that continue to crop up, like blooms pushing through soil, defined Daisy's determination and love for her parents' home perfectly, and I was rooting for her right the way through the book until the very last page. 

Beautifully written, with a fantastic plot that was full of surprises, I absolutely loved Coming Up Roses by Rachael Lucas. This is the perfect book to get your hands on this spring/summer time, to devour whilst sat in the garden beneath warm sun, with bumble bees buzzing away in the background. The theme of gardening only enhanced the light, airy atmosphere of the book, and it felt like a breath of fresh air whenever I sat down to enjoy it. 

Becca's Books is awarding Coming Up Roses with FIVE DELICIOUS CUPCAKES! I loved this book, from back to front, and Daisy was such a lovely, warm-hearted girl who I only wished nothing but the best for. I was so desperate for her to capture her happy ending, but did she? I guess you'll have to find out for yourself, bookish beauts! ;)



   












Post a Comment