Evil Games by Angela Marsons

'You wanted me in this game and here I am...'


Title - Evil Games
Author - Angela Marsons
Publication Date - May 29th 2015
Publisher - Bookouture
Format - Kindle Edition (Provided via NetGalley)
Pages - 352

The blurb

The greater the Evil, the more deadly the Game...

When a rapist is found mutilated in a brutal attack, Detective Kim Stone and her team are called in to bring a swift resolution. But, as more vengeful killings come to light, it soon becomes clear that there is someone far more sinister at work.

With the investigation quickly gathering momentum, Kim finds herself exposed to great danger and in the sights of a lethal individual undertaking their own twisted experiment.

Up against a sociopath who seems to know her every weakness, for Detective Stone, each move she makes could be deadly. As the body count starts to mount, Kim will have to dig deeper than ever before to stop the killing. And this time - it's personal.

Becca's thoughts

First of all, I'd like to say a MASSIVE thank you to the fantastic author Angela Marsons and her publishers Bookouture for providing me with a digital copy of Evil Games via NetGalley, in exchange for a fair and honest review. Bookouture are absolutely on the ball this year, publishing some truly sensational titles that I have loved, and I just know that signing with Angela Marsons was a move that they had to make. Can you imagine the world carrying on without the thrill of Angela's D.I. Kim Stone stories? I, for one, cannot even begin to imagine such a place and, quite frankly, what an unexciting place it would be.

I was originally introduced to Angela Marsons when I took a chance on the first novel in the D.I. Kim Stone series Silent Scream  (you can find my review here). If you know me well, then you'll know that I very rarely stretch my bookish fingers towards the crime genre. Romance is my first and last love, perhaps with a dash of horror and a sprinkle of psychological thriller from time to time, but crime? Previously, it was a complete no-go for me. So, you can imagine my surprise when Silent Scream bobbed along and caught me within it's grip. I was hooked, from the very first page to the very last. And so, Angela Marsons became Becca's Books' favourite crime writer. Once I'd finished Silent Scream, I couldn't wait to see what Angela provided her readers with next, and prayed that it would be just as good as Silent Scream, because I wanted to feel that tug and pull towards the plot that had kept the pages turning. Apparently, I'd had nothing to worry about, and I should have known better than to question the power and punch of book two...

Evil Games was phenomenal and I'm not using the term lightly here, folks. It was absolutely, without a doubt, even more grippy and compelling than the first in the series and I really didn't think that was possible. As well as this, Angela dealt with some pretty damn serious crimes that left me feeling shaky with disgust. Every word, every sentence, every paragraph came together to deliver one hell of a winning book that I now just want to slap into every reader's face. Angela's writing style, punchy and effective, won me over again and again throughout my reading of Evil Games and I could practically see and feel this tension within the plot building. My senses felt heightened, my breathing quickened and this experience of reading a novel by Angela Marsons will remain me, giving me no choice but to read EVERY BOOK EVER by the author. 

What I relished most about Evil Games was that in the second in the series, the secrets of Kim's past are slowly, finally revealed to the reader. I don't know about you (if you've read Silent Scream), but I was intrigued as to what had happened in Kim's past, and what had moulded her into the person that she is today. My impression of Kim is that, sometimes, she can come across as being very cold-hearted. Not that I don't like this, I think it adds so much bad-ass-ness to her character and she's wholly powerful, but I wanted to know why she was like that. What had happened for Kim to react the way she does in certain situations? Thankfully, my questions were seen to in Evil Games. This time round, we're not only faced with a compelling crime plot, but the truth behind Kim's past surfaces, and what a heart-breaking past it is.

Readers, if you know Kim Stone at all, then you'll know that she would never willingly reveal these secrets, never share the horrors of what she'd been through with anyone, so what better to add into the mix than a cruel, evil, incredibly clever sociopath known as Alex, who is desperate to dig deeper into Kim's history and use her demons against her? I cannot even begin to tell you how EXCITING this was for me as a reader. I know that sounds slightly weird, but I was thrilled to find someone for Kim to go to battle with. I mean, Alex was a serious piece of work. Not only was she conniving and intelligent, but she also held an outstanding profession where she was able to take advantage of the people who she came into contact with in the most devastating way, resulting in the most dangerous consequences. I knew, without a doubt, that when Alex and Kim came face to face there would be fireworks, and lots of them!

The entire plot of Evil Games held me captive. When I wasn't reading this book, I was thinking about it. I was dying to know when Alex's madness would finally be extinguished. I wanted to know how far the games would go, and how far Alex and Kim would continue to push each other. I couldn't wait to see who tipped over the edge first. 

As I'd expected, Evil Games was truly epic. A nasty, twisting plot that dragged me under into a world of deceit and persuasion that refused to let go of my mind long after I'd finished reading. I feel like I know Kim Stone a hell of a lot better now, and despite her bad-ass-ness, I really just want to give her  a massive hug for everything that has paved the way to where she stands now. And after playing cat and mouse with Alex within the book, I think she definitely deserves a break before book 3! ;) *taps fingers impatiently* Or not. What do you reckon, Kim?

Five cupcakes from me. Without a doubt!




    

   









2 comments :

  1. Thank you so much for this awesome review, Becca. I am sooooo pleased you enjoyed it and this review has made my day 😃😃

    ReplyDelete
  2. A fantastic review wonderfully written as always. I finished Evil Games yesterday and it's still playing on my mind. It is everything you say it is and more. Well done Angie!

    ReplyDelete