The Chateau on the Lake by Charlotte Betts ~ BLOG TOUR!

It used to be said that anyone who looked deep into a moonstone could see into the future but I'm not sure I want to know what is going to happen to me.
I do know there must be change ahead.



Title - The Chateau on the Lake
Author - Charlotte Betts
Publication Date - May 7th 2015 (Paperback)
Publisher - Piatkus 
Format - Paperback (Provided via publisher)
Pages - 400

The blurb

1792. As a teacher at her parents' Academy for Young Ladies in the heart of London, Madeleine Moreau has lived her life sheltered from the outside world. But on the night of a dazzling Masquerade, tragedy strikes and she is left alone in the world. Desperate to find the family she never knew, Madeleine impulsively travels to France in search of them. But with war around the corner, and fearing for Madeleine's safety, the enigmatic Comte Etienne d'Aubrey offers her shelter at his home, Chateau Mirabelle.

Chateau Mirabelle enchants Madeleine with its startling beauty, but it is a place of dark and haunting secrets. As the Revolution gathers momentum and the passions of the populace are enflamed, Madeleine must take control of her own destiny and unravel events of the past in order to secure a chance at future happiness.

The Chateau on the Lake is a breath-taking historical novel set during the time of the French Revolution; rich, evocative and immersive. If you love Phillipa Gregory and Joanne Harris, you will adore Charlotte Betts.

Becca's thoughts

Since reading The Apothecary's Daughter by Charlotte Betts back in 2013, I have been incredibly looking forward to delving into yet another stunning story by the author. If you fancy it, you can read my review of The Apothecary's Daughter here! The author has released a couple more books since then, but with my to-read pile continuously mounting, I just haven't been able to find the time! So, as you can imagine, I was absolutely over the moon when I heard from Clara Diaz (Little, Brown UK) when she got in touch in regards to Charlotte Betts' latest novel The Chateau on the Lake. It took me no more than a second to squeal an excited 'YES!' as I tapped out my reply, I didn't even need to think about it. When I'd read The Apothecary's Daughter, about two years ago, Charlotte's incredibly striking, evocative language completely whisked me away to a time long before my own, and I've remembered the sheer power of her words ever since, which was why I couldn't wait to begin reading The Chateau on the Lake. I just knew that I was in for a complete treat!

Within The Chateau on the Lake, the reader follows Madeleine Moreau from tragedy, through discovery, to chaos. Beginning in London, working alongside her parents in a three-storey townhouse which also homes her father's Academy for Young Ladies, and then following Madeleine's journey to France to find her only remaining family, this truly was a sensational step back in time, with all of the lush, exquisite lashings of Charlotte's fantastic descriptions that I can only associate with this author, and this author alone. I felt, once I'd finished reading The Chateau on the Lake, that I'd lived a separate life from my own. From heartache to the heart-fix, I couldn't get enough of Madeleine Moreau's story, and I was hooked the entire way through, which is something that I've found whilst reading Charlotte's work previously.

The one thing that never, ever fails to capture my attention when stepping into one of Charlotte's impeccably created settings is that the author seriously goes to town when bringing her characters' surroundings to life. It is divine. From the delicate clothing to the lavish furnishings of the homes of the time, reading a book by Charlotte is like studying history. In The Chateau on the Lake, Madeleine Moreau's story begins during the beginning of the French Revolution, and my oh my, was it incredible to feel as though I was living through the past just by reading the pages of this book. Charlotte ensured that everything was included when she began to bring forward the backdrop of the story. When in London, I could see clearly the horse-drawn carts and the giggling girls of the Academy for Young Ladies. When in France at residing at the Chateau Mirabelle, I could picture those stunning gardens shrouded with the early morning frost and gorgeous interior of the grand home. Charlotte couldn't fail at this even if she wanted to. I'm sure I've said this in one of previous reviews of Charlotte's books, but whenever I read this author's writing, I just have this image in my mind of Charlotte stroking a paintbrush and having this delicate yet powerful descriptions sweeping across the page. She is not only an author, but a talented artist of words.

Madeleine Moreau was the heroine in Charlotte's latest novel, and I warmed to her immediately. Right from the very beginning, I could just sense this fieriness to her that was bubbling beneath the surface, but not only that, she was genuine, loyal and kind. Throughout the book, Madeleine goes through a hell of a lot of heartbreak, and at certain points within the novel, I actually couldn't believe that things were still going so terribly wrong for her. As the story progressed, the setting of France became chaotic and dangerous, only adding to this build-up of a tense, foreboding atmosphere that kept me hooked right the way through to the end. It was obvious that something truly horrific was going to take place, and Charlotte definitely provided on that front. My respect for Madeleine just continued to build and build. I just had no idea of how she'd managed to make it as far as she had. Of course, whenever there's a heroine, there's a dark, dashing hero, and in The Chateau on the Lake, this dark, dashing hero came in the form of Comte Etienne d'Aubrey. I adored how these two leading characters in this book clashed slightly at the beginning, but as the plot began to develop around them, the relationship seemed to follow suit, and it took my breath away repeatedly whenever they came into close contact with each other. Charlotte provided me with such incredibly detail, it was impossible not to see the story playing out like a HD movie in my mind. Every touch, every look. I caught it all, and it was absolutely brilliant. Well, I really didn't expect anything less from this author, and by the time I finished reading it, I couldn't believe what one hell of a journey Madeleine Moreau had been on. It was pulse-raising, nail-biting, and absolutely, one hundred percent, devastating. There were a whole cluster of secondary characters who did their part in making this story seem more real than ever. Some who I enjoyed the presence of. Others? Not so much. But in the end, whether I like them or not really didn't matter. Reading The Chateau on the Lake made me feel like I'd experience such an important time in history for myself. I will never ever tire of Charlotte's writing. I've always been huge fan of history, even way back in school, but reading Charlotte's writing is so much better than any of the lessons I remember having taken, so much more vivid and real, too.

Becca's Books is awarding The Chateau on the Lake by Charlotte Betts with FIVE YUMMY CUPCAKES! If I could have a shelf full of any author's work, then I think I'd choose Charlotte. I hope to catch up with her previous novels that I've missed later on this year, because reading The Chateau on the Lake has just reminded me of how much I absolutely bloody adore them! Charlotte, bring on the next novel! *no pressure*



Goodreads | Amazon UK | Amazon US

~ Author Bio ~



Charlotte Betts began her working life as a fashion designer in London. A career followed in interior design, property management and lettings. Charlotte discovered her passion for writing when her three children and two step-children grew up. 

Her debut novel, The Apothecary's Daughter, won the YouWriteOn Book of the Year Award in 2010 and the Joan Hessayon Award for New Writers, was shortlisted for the Best Historical Read at the Festival of Romance 2011 and won the coveted Romantic Novelists' Association's Historical Romantic Novel RoNA Award in 2013. Her second novel, The Painter's Apprentice, was also shortlisted for the Best Historical Read at the Festival of Romance in 2012 and the RoNA Award in 2014. The Spice Merchant's Wife won the Festival of Romance's Best Historical Read Award in 2013.

You can find Charlotte Betts on Twitter | Facebook | charlottebetts.com

Be sure to keep up the rest of Charlotte's blog tour, too!








    



Post a Comment