The Island Escape by Kerry Fisher ~ BLOG TOUR!

Sometimes friends could see the things that blind us.


Title - The Island Escape 
Author - Kerry Fisher
Publication Date - May 21st 2015
Published - Avon
Format - Paperback (Provided via publisher)
Pages - 400

The blurb

Can one woman's marriage survive her best friend's divorce? 

It's time to get back to where it all began...

Octavia Sheldon thought she'd have a different life. One where she travelled the world with an exotic husband and free-spirited children in tow. But things didn't turn out quite like that.

Married to safe, reliable Jonathan, her life now consists of packed lunches, school runs and more loads of dirty washing than she ever thought possible. She's not unhappy. It's just that she can barely recognise herself any longer. 

So as Octavia watches her best friend's marriage break up, it starts her thinking. What if life could be different? What if she could escape and get back to the person she used to be? Escape back to the island where she spent her summers? And what if the man she used to love was there waiting for her...?

Becca's thoughts

First of all, I'd like to say a HUGE thank you to the marvellous team at Avon and the wonderful author Kerry Fisher for providing me with an absolutely divine copy of The Island Escape. Not only were Avon kind enough to send me a shiny paperback copy of this book, but they also sent a package my way which included a lovely bottle of Elderflower wine, popcorn, gorgeous looking chocolate biscuits and an invite to Kerry's online launch party! Honestly, book folk, it was bloody brilliant, and Avon definitely come up with the best marketing campaigns for their titles. As always, I was utterly delighted to be invited along onto Kerry's tour, and I'm equally delighted to be hosting the lovely author on Becca's Books today, not only with a review of her novel but with a fabulous Q&A too! So, without further ado, let me tell you why I adored The Island Escape.

To begin with, Kerry seriously starts off The Island Escape with a bang. The bang of a cell door in a police station, no less. I haven't read many books that begin in such an eyebrow-raising way and I was immediately curious to know exactly why and how Kerry's character Roberta had ended up in a police station. I love it when, after just a few pages into a novel, the author let's loose a thousand questions in my mind that I'm just dying to know the answer to and Kerry achieved exactly that with her opening pages. As the plot began to reveal itself, and the true extent of the events unfolded, my eyebrows were raised so high they were practically at the back of my skull. I wanted to know absolutely everything about Roberta and her circumstances, including her husband Scott who, let's be real, was a bit of an idiot (so much more than a bit of an idiot). As soon as Roberta rang long-time friend Octavia, I knew that there was something special between Kerry's two characters. More than just friendship, they shared their deepest, darkest secrets and were each other's sounding boards when things got tough in each of their lives. For me, this was touching in so many ways. The bond that the two women shared went way back and only intensified the feeling that there'd never been two friends like Roberta and Octavia before. Despite being so fond of each other, what surprised me was how different the two women were. They'd had differing upbringings, both providing the other with whatever it was that they were missing. I just ADORED how well each of the women fit into the other's life. They moulded perfectly together, a mish-mash of characteristics and backgrounds, yet they hummed so beautifully when side by side! As each woman's circumstances changed and the plot progressed, I could feel myself falling deeper and harder beneath Kerry Fisher's spell. 

This is the first book that I've read by Kerry, but I can assure you right now, it will not be the last. The sheer mystery, intrigue and beauty of the author's words had me absolutely enthralled. I found myself dying to know how the story would end, where the characters would end up. I found myself thinking back to where Roberta and Octavia were when the novel began, and I couldn't wait to see how their lives would change by the end of it. There were so many delicate intricacies within each woman's life, tricky situations, things that I'd have no idea how to deal with it had been myself dealing with them. Each woman became an important person to me by the end of this book. I cared about their welfare, their personal issues and whether they'd be happy or not. I was desperate to know that they'd be okay and that the rest of their lives perhaps turn out differently. 

The Island Escape by Kerry Fisher was exactly that. A gorgeously, addictive escape that I craved when not wrapped up in. The characters, the settings and the situations. I was captivated by it all and I wouldn't even hesitate in picking up another book by Kerry. She has such a beautiful way with words that makes me feel like I' dancing about between them on the page, lost completely to my own imagination. 

Becca's Books is awarding The Island Escape by Kerry Fisher with FIVE OF MY GORGEOUS CUPCAKES! You may have your cocktail, sunglasses and sun-cream this summer, but you're really not ready until you've got this book by your side, I can assure you.



    





Post a Comment